Screenconnect, Connectwise, Logmein Rescue, Teamviewer11, ShowMyPC, Microsoft Registartion Files

Comments

• peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 11:32PM
    $1,080 went from my friend's bank account to Connectwise. It is confirmed by the bank. It looks like a standard transaction. The receipt was sent by Connectwise to the fraudulent email account used to open the Connectwise registration account. How do I know? I later hacked into the new Gmail account they had set up for the purpose right at the beginning of the scam call using the victim's personal data and real mobile number.
    'just click here'
    'close that window'
    'type this in here'
    'just ignore that'.

Your super duper solution of warning users upon installation would just be another window that can be clicked away, if indeed the scammers don't get rid of it in the dodgy version they install.
    Ah, now you seem to be getting to the nub of it ... and we might note that those types of hustled instructions to ignore pop ups etc would only be necessary for the processes that the PREMIUM Remote Control software cannot handle surreptitiously in other windows e.g. perhaps in windows opened on a remote screen masquerading as a hidden second screen on the victims computer? The more that can be done hidden from view via the remote control software, the less likely the victim will be made suspicious.

I didn't realise I'd called for any super duper warning system, just a basic warning similar to an "Adware - possible Malware Detected" pop up dialog ,,,
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    peterbaker wrote: »
    $1,080 went from my friend's bank account to Connectwise. It is confirmed by the bank. It looks like a standard transaction. The receipt was sent by Connectwise to the fraudulent email account used to open the Connectwise registration account. How do I know? I later hacked into the new Gmail account they had set up for the purpose right at the beginning of the scam call using the victim's personal data and real mobile number.
    They weren't very clever then if they set up a bogus email and then didn't change the details afterwards so that people like you on the case could access it.:o
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 11:26PM
    They weren't very clever then if they set up a bogus email and then didn't change the details afterwards so that people like you on the case could access it.:o
    Think a stage further - they were perhaps clever enough to know that they need not clear up after themselves because they couldn't be traced and caught?

I am led to understand that some of these fraudsters beset bank fraud department telephone lines mocking and goading the investigators into trying to "catch me if you can".
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Still not seeing how any of this is the fault of genuine software.
    Sometimes people just have to hold their hands up and admit they've been a complete idiot.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Y It is very clear that the makers of these types of software know their products are used far too easily and surreptitiously by scammers, so they should contain clear warnings when they are being installed.

Virtually anything can be used for nefarious means. What's next, only selling tampons to 18 year olds or older with ID and who sign a form to say they've received them because technically its possible to ram one down someone's throat and kill them?

Maybe you should write to Microsoft, every Linux distro, the entire internet and every computer manufacturer and manufacturer of any device that can communicate over the internet and tell them they need to put warnings on because terrorists use them to communicate.

That is how stupid and pathetic your argument is.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Because on a cascading basis and not in the order I gave them, they are the preferred tools of trade of confidence tricksters and they can all be downloaded in the background and the strongest versions purchased using fraudulently set up online registrations from anonymous new email accounts, ALL WHILST THE VICTIM IS DISTRACTED. The victim may have only been persuaded to click on one or two innocuous or helpful-looking links (remember they believe they being are telephone assisted by Microsoft or similar into stopping a hack in progress). The worst of the downloads and the worst of the fraud then occurs behind the screens that are being discussed with the victim if the victim can be kept on the line long enough.

And how can that be? Well such software will only end up live on your machine by fraudsters who have far too easy non-verified access to such dangerous software and the comparison with Microsoft Word is if you forgive me, a rather naive one.

I think a better comparison might be to suggest that these softwares in the wrong hands are a bit like a crowbar in the wrong hands. If you see someone other than a craftsman in the street with a crowbar, you report it right?

If you see a normal non-corporate antivirus customer with these Tech Support Desk type softwares on their machine, you are saying they should not be reported by the antivirus software? Why not? Even simple adware is reported routinely!

Why not just ban digital/online/phone banking? That will prevent the scammers from getting payment by electronic means. Ban emails and the internet also. Without the internet all the internet scams will instantly stop.

What about all those scammers that knock on peoples doors to ask if they can use the toilet, should we all demolish inside toilets to prevent this issue?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Because on a cascading basis and not in the order I gave them, they are the preferred tools of trade of confidence tricksters and they can all be downloaded in the background and the strongest versions purchased using fraudulently set up online registrations from anonymous new email accounts, ALL WHILST THE VICTIM IS DISTRACTED. The victim may have only been persuaded to click on one or two innocuous or helpful-looking links (remember they believe they being are telephone assisted by Microsoft or similar into stopping a hack in progress). The worst of the downloads and the worst of the fraud then occurs behind the screens that are being discussed with the victim if the victim can be kept on the line long enough.
    !
    This argument is analogous to saying, oh I was distracted for a moment and gave my car keys to an unknown person and they subsequently stole my car, so there should be a warning on the keys to say that if I give the keys to someone else they could use them to unlock and even, get this, drive away with my car.

What should be happening is that we educate people not to respond to these phone calls, and indeed there are reports of these scams all theme and yet people still get taken in by them, so if we can't educate them to nip things in the bud at the first hurdle then any further warnings are unlikely to have much more effect. In the car example then anyone likely to give away their car keys should not really be in charge of them in the first place, I would say the same analogy applies to those that respond to the phone calls purporting to come from Microsoft. Work that one out if you can.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I know the "your computer has a virus" scammers try to get you to install a remote access tool, but that does not mean that the tool itself is dodgy.

How about RDP, SSH, Skype, which allow remote access & desktop sharing?

Does the camera on a laptop need to be warned about too?
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    This thread is bizarre ..

OP i understand that you are frustrated that your friend has been scammed ..

Scammers are clever - dont beat yourself up.

But you are making yourself look silly by the way you only half understand this stuff and are telling techies that apples are oranges ..

Just give it up - Its daft and your arguements make no sense ..

I for one am not paying you any more lip service
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I didn't realise I'd called for any super duper warning system, just a basic warning similar to an "Adware - possible Malware Detected" pop up dialog ,,,

I was being sarcastic, it's not super duper at all, and I demonstrated to you how a scammer could remove the warning from their own dodgy version of the software, or just brush it off to a non-tech-savvy victim.

Every ounce of energy you're putting into wanting to punish legitimate software publishers, should instead be put into educating users instead. Though if they are as good at listening as you are, it'll take a lot of energy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure