What do you Consider a Good Age to Live to?

Comments

• fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    70 healthy, fun filled years seems like plenty, I'd rather that than spend another 20 years with declining health and mobility and loss of independence - but I'm 30 now, I imagine when I get in to my 60's 70 won't seem nearly so long.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    70 healthy, fun filled years seems like plenty, I'd rather that than spend another 20 years with declining health and mobility and loss of independence - but I'm 30 now, I imagine when I get in to my 60's 70 won't seem nearly so long.

70 probably won’t even be retirement age by the time you get there! The average 70 year old isn’t struggling with mobility or serious health issues these days, it’s late middle age rather than old age these days.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,641 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    70 probably won’t even be retirement age by the time you get there! The average 70 year old isn’t struggling with mobility or serious health issues these days, it’s late middle age rather than old age these days.

Obviously I'm not average even though I'm still late 60s, but have osteoarthritis, scar tissue on one lung and one or two other problems! Quite a few former fellow school pupils failed to reach 70.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    My parents both lived to their early nineties but their latter years weren,t much fun. I'd love the day to come when when it would become legal to be able to choose the timing of your own departure. I think it's worrying about how one will cope with serious illness, disability or dementia that ruins old age for a lot of people. If that fear could be taken away people might enjoy their last year's more.

Meanwhile I'd do scan the obituary columns from time to time and scare myself if too many people younger than me have died !
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Obviously I'm not average even though I'm still late 60s, but have osteoarthritis, scar tissue on one lung and one or two other problems! Quite a few former fellow school pupils failed to reach 70.

Several people I went to school with didn!!!8217;t reach 30, including one close friend who barely made it into adulthood tragically. Others are living with chronic conditions that have a big impact on their quality of life well before hitting 40. Sadly this will always be the case, bad luck will never go away.

There is still a big difference between an average 70 year old today and an average 70 year old 30 or 50 years ago though. My retirement age is currently 68 I think and I fully expect that to go up. I actually like my job but I!!!8217;d still hope for a fair few years of retirement to behave badly and get away with it!
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Someone I used to work with was of the strong opinion that we should all be put down when we reach 70. This was about 25 years ago and she was early forties so she will be around 67/68 now. I wonder if she still thinks the same!
  • 70 probably won!!!8217;t even be retirement age by the time you get there! The average 70 year old isn!!!8217;t struggling with mobility or serious health issues these days, it!!!8217;s late middle age rather than old age these days.

I agree.

In January my husband will be 70 and I will be 69 and we have just bought a beautiful cruiser motorbike to take us to Spain and France. We do not consider ourselves old.

How long would I like to live? As long as possible, assuming good health.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Either until:
    - the day before I came down with any serious illness (and I count things like arthritis and angina as "serious illness")

OR

- no later than my 90th birthday (whatever my health and finances are like).

Even as someone in my 60's I find there's been one heck of a lot of change to my society in my time. Some of it has been good (eg wider range of food available and women are noticeably more equal than we were).

Much of the change has been bad (g.m. food/overpopulation & loadsa building because of it/fracking/the rise of Nationalist movements in our country - which I do rather feel is connected to overpopulation, ie "all those extra people - keep out of our part of the country"??/cutbacks).

On balance I'd say there has been a lot more change for "the worse" than there has been for "the better". I don't want to see that much more of change for "the worse" and I'm starting to become conscious of contemporaries devoping chronic illnesses and that most of them will probably die before I do (though I have a policy of being friendly with all agegroups anyway).

Quite definitely my definition of retirement is "doing whatever I decide to" and I don't expect my body to restrict me in any way from that and I wouldnt put up with it doing so personally. Yep...just started another new-to-me form of dance and was duly shattered for the rest of that day - but just started reading a book on dealing with energy problems and will see what can be done to rectify that and do so.:)
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 10 August 2018 at 10:03AM
    70 probably won!!!8217;t even be retirement age by the time you get there! The average 70 year old isn!!!8217;t struggling with mobility or serious health issues these days, it!!!8217;s late middle age rather than old age these days.

It really isn't - 70 is old and we shouldn't be afraid to say so.
    There's nothing wrong with being old and it shouldn't stop us doing whatever we want, dressing the way we want or being the sort of people we've always been but don't let "late middle age" become a euphemism for being old. There's no need for a euphemism, age is an achievement and not something to apologise for.
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    It really isn't - 70 is old and we shouldn't be afraid to say so.
    There's nothing wrong with being old and it shouldn't stop us doing whatever we want, dressing the way we want or being the sort of people we've always been but don't let "late middle age" become a euphemism for being old. There's no need for a euphemism, age is an achievement and not something to apologise for.

My edition of Chambers dictionary from around the 1960s/70s defined middle age as; "between youth and old age, variously reckoned to suit the reckoner."

Disappointingly,my later edition had a more prosaic definition. (Not nearly as accurate either, I'd guess.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure