Why don't men complain?

Options
Since 1940 men have had to work until they were 65 to get their state pension while women have received it at 60. I don't remember hearing any protests at all. When the government finally end the injustice we get a massive protest from women. They want the injustice to continue a bit longer because it's in their favour. Men just don't seem to be able to get their act together at all.

Comments

• ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    Since 1940 men have had to work until they were 65 to get their state pension while women have received it at 60. I don't remember hearing any protests at all. When the government finally end the injustice we get a massive protest from women. They want the injustice to continue a bit longer because it's in their favour. Men just don't seem to be able to get their act together at all.

Need to create MASPI.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Men generally don't complain because they live in a patriarchy, why rock the boat when things are almost always stacked in your favour.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Women getting SP earlier then men was intended to be to men's advantage I believe. Wives tend to be younger than husbands and at the time men were the bread winners whilst a woman's income was a secondary concern to her family role. So when the husband retired the wife was needed back at home to look after him.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The men have had less to complain about. Their every need and want has been satisfied by mother or wife.

Until comparatively recently, it was not expected that they should give up work to care for children or the elderly (or if not give up, accept lower paying, part time, unpensioned work to cater for the needs of children or the elderly).

In terms of SPA, the pension age for men has only very recently been different from what they started their working lives expecting.

Post 8

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6015976
  • Afraid_of_Kittens
    Options
    Do correct me if I am wrong...

...It was a man who took the British Government to the European Court of Human Rights that it was unfair he had to wait until 65 for his pension when women could get theirs at 60. This was blatant sex discrimination.

The Court agreed that he was being discriminated against and told the UK Government to fix it.

The Govenments fix was to raise the retirement age for women to 65.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The reduction in women's State pension age in 1940 actually benefitted some men as well - because a man could only claim the higher, married man's, pension at 65 if his wife was also State pension age (even though married women at the time were very unlikely to have accrued pension benefits in their own right). Reducing the woman's State pension age to 60 meant that most men would be able to claim the higher rate of pension from 65, instead of having to wait until their wives 'caught up'.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,672 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

...It was a man who took the British Government to the European Court of Human Rights that it was unfair he had to wait until 65 for his pension when women could get theirs at 60. This was blatant sex discrimination.

The Court agreed that he was being discriminated against and told the UK Government to fix it.

Yes, you're wrong. Mr Barber's (or more accurately his personal representatives, who continued the action because he died before it got anywhere) complaint related to an occupational scheme.

The Government's decision to increase SPA was nothing to do with the case; it was all about saving money.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://www.web40571.clarahost.co.uk/statepensionage/SPA_history.htm

Are you referring to the Barber case?

Barber claimed against his employer, Guardian Royal Exchange Assurance,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_v_Guardian_Royal_Exchange_Assurance_Group

And the Govt did not (and has not) changed GMP age - this disadvantaged women receiving age 60 contracted out private sector occupational pensions which did not compensate for the change - the schemes did not have to index link Pre 88 GMP or post 88 GMP in excess of 3% for women over age 60 as this was expected to be achieved through the mechanism of the old state pension.

Those women had to wait until they reached SPA to receive indexation as appropriate on the GMP.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 13 October 2019 at 5:13PM
    Options
    Men generally don't complain because they live in a patriarchy, why rock the boat when things are almost always stacked in your favour.
    Oh really? Try looking at life expectancy, the prison population, suicide rates, child custody cases, cancer screening programmes, health spending in general, risk of death or serious injury in the workplace, homelessness (real homelessness, as in sleeping on the streets, not in a B&B), maternity/paternity leave/pay.

The idea that only women are victims of inequality is a narrative continually propagated by the media, particuarly the BBC, and of course there is a lot of inequality that affects women, but the idea it's only women or even mainly is frankly clueless.

State pension ages is just the start of real equality. Hopefully.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options

Not sure it was about the state pension - it was clear that the state pension ages across all of the EU needed to be equalised to comply with EU law, but there was a case when the govt introduced pension credit around 2000 I think, where they initally tied it to state pension age and that was ruled illegal following a case raised by a man, because as a new benefit it couldn't be sexist. So they tied it to women's SPA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure