Could someone help with application for a booking clerk

Hi, I am looking at applying for a job as a booking clerk within a Hospital and I need help with the application. The role requires good communication skills and experience of working within an administrative role before. I am currently working as a Switchboard Operator and have over 10 years of Customer Service experience. Could someone help me with the supporting information? I would be grateful for some constructive feedback with what I have written.

I am applying for the position of Booking Clerk as I want to progress my career within the NHS. In my current role as a Switchboard Operator, administration forms the day to day basis of my job. Prior to joining the trust, I worked in Customer Service for nearly 12 years dealing with customer queries, complaints and aiding other departments. This is why I feel I would be a welcome addition to the team.

I have thoroughly read the job description and believe the experience I have gained over the years in Customer Service and as a Switchboard Operator makes me an ideal candidate.

My role as a Customer Service assistant required me to deal with customer queries over the phone and face to face with individuals. This is where I believe my communication skills came to the fore in being able to resolve issues adequately.

Due to my current position in the trust I am familiar with many of the systems used within the department such as Ecamis. Currently, I create hospital numbers, admit, discharge and transfer patients, as well as locating them for relatives and staff. Also, as Switchboard falls under the Informatics umbrella I cover some basic IT jobs We are expected to be available to cover password resets for many systems as well as cover the IT Service Desk to support the main IT department when needed.

I currently do shift work and my day could start as early as 7 am or as late as 10 pm. Flexibility is the key to working effectively in Switchboard. This is, as a lot of my additional tasks and duties are only done out of hours. An example of this is resolving switchboard emails by effectively dealing the query myself or forwarding them to the relevant person or teams if required.

Comments

• My best advice for applying for any NHS job is to take
    the person specification and for each line of the person specification show how you meet it.
    Respond in the same order as the criteria in the person specification.

In doing it that way you are making it as easy as possible for the person assessing your application to tick off that you meet each item of the person specification
  • No one is going to write it for you.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Do you know the hiring manager, maybe meet up for a chat over a coffee.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Sounds pretty good compared with what I wrote when I applied for Appointments Officer in NHS. :o
  • aav
    aav Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for your response so for. I know I need an ending paragraph but do you think I’m missing anything else?
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,661 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    No one is going to write it for you.

Where has OP asked anyone to write it for them?

OP, it's excellent.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Make sure you cover the 'essential skills' part from the job spec in your supporting statement, if you have many of the desirable skills incorporate them too.

Your supporting statement is a way of supplementing your CV and if you don't include reference to what they are after your application won't go any further.

Watch your use of capital letters to ensure consistency, use a capital T for Trust.

Your second paragraph should be the opening to your first one. Use , ; . to break up your sentences.

You will be competing with hundreds of applications and need to ensure yours is perfect.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • i was a booking clerk for 19 years. Read up on the refferal to treatment targets for that trust. Research what you are booking for eg if radiology find out about different scans.
    Patient focused booking etc
    i can help more of needed.
  • Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    aav wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking at applying for a job as a booking clerk within a Hospital and I need help with the application. The role requires good communication skills and experience of working within an administrative role before. I am currently working as a Switchboard Operator and have over 10 years of Customer Service experience. Could someone help me with the supporting information? I would be grateful for some constructive feedback with what I have written.

I am applying for the position of Booking Clerk as I want to progress my career within the NHS. In my current role as a Switchboard Operator, administration forms the day to day basis of my job. Prior to joining the trust, I worked in Customer Service for nearly 12 years dealing with customer queries, complaints and aiding other departments. This is why I feel I would be a welcome addition to the team.

I have thoroughly read the job description and believe the experience I have gained over the years in Customer Service and as a Switchboard Operator makes me an ideal candidate.

My role as a Customer Service assistant required me to deal with customer queries over the phone and face to face with individuals. This is where I believe my communication skills came to the fore in being able to resolve issues adequately.

Due to my current position in the trust I am familiar with many of the systems used within the department such as Ecamis. Currently, I create hospital numbers, admit, discharge and transfer patients, as well as locating them for relatives and staff. Also, as Switchboard falls under the Informatics umbrella I cover some basic IT jobs We are expected to be available to cover password resets for many systems as well as cover the IT Service Desk to support the main IT department when needed.

I currently do shift work and my day could start as early as 7 am or as late as 10 pm. Flexibility is the key to working effectively in Switchboard. This is, as a lot of my additional tasks and duties are only done out of hours. An example of this is resolving switchboard emails by effectively dealing the query myself or forwarding them to the relevant person or teams if required.

I think it is generally pretty good. I personally wouldn't say "welcome addition to the team" - I would use "useful" or "valuable" etc as it's a job not a party invitation and don't say you have read the job description as that goes without saying. Apart from that what is there is good but is it set out in the best way? Following the order of the person spec addressing each point is probably the best way forward these days. At my place the person spec is in sections like "knowledge" "experience" "qualifications" so I write a paragraph for each one addressing as many of the sub points within it as I can muster rather than a general essay about my background. Could you review it on that basis?
  • Ratkin007
    Ratkin007 Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    When is the closing date?
    It is important to follow the person specification and ensure you meet all areas for application.
    Personally I would exclude the paragraph re reading the job description. I would also put a full stop after issues and not use the word adequately. Also demonstrate how you communicated i.e listening, clarifying information, speaking clearly, adapting to need.
    "We are expected to be available to cover password resets for many systems as well as cover the IT Service Desk to support the main IT department when needed."
    tells us the expectation of the team, not that you do it.
    "This is, as a lot of my additional tasks and duties are only done out of hours." I don't understand this sentence. Remember to talk about your skills and give examples of your skills.
    Soz, I don't know how to do the quotation of previous text.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure