Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell my employer it has overpaid me?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
A few months ago I started a new role, in return for an 'acting-up' allowance. This was paid correctly the first month, but for the following two months they incorrectly added it to my base salary, and still paid a separate acting-up allowance on top.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Seriously ?? How many of 'my employer overpaid me - do I need to pay it back ?' do we need ?
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Of course you should tell them, it's theft if you keep it knowing that it's a mistake
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Legal dilemmas shouldnt be included in these so called 'moral dilemma's

Its not a dilemma. Legally they will owe the money so do they want their job?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I think it might be better to rename this Money Amoral Dilemma, because for any normal person there is never a dilemma to be addressed.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes it should be paid back, if you have spent some of the money then let your employer know and agree to a payment plan.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,617 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Before posting this sort of non-dilemma, you might like to check how many times it has already cropped up and been answered on this forum.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,288 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Marcon wrote: »
    Before posting this sort of non-dilemma, you might like to check how many times it has already cropped up and been answered on this forum.

They don't do that though...……………..
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    Do the people who write these facile items not understand basic English? A moral dilemma means that two or more choices each cause moral problems.

There is no moral dilemma here, only a question of basic honesty and decency.
  • marich
    marich Posts: 125 Forumite
    If you have been overpaid you will have to pay it back - fact . This might be allowed to be phased over some months but that fact is fact.

So , if you think something is 'wrong' then it is in your own interest to query it with your employer as soon as you think it .

Otherwise it might start to look as if you are either stupid , unobservant or dishonest - not qualities being looked for in someone blessed with an 'acting up' position !

Get real - NOW !

Dilemma - mon cul (as some would say) !
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    I check my wages every month.

If I am underpaid I inform my employer, I would do the same if I am overpaid.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport