What your credit score really means

Comments

• do you know why i cant check my credit score anywhere
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Is it because your computer is switched off?
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The credit score is very important for us

No, the credit score is only important to the CRAs, who hope they can use it to sell you unnecessary services.

Mind you, judging from your other posts, which have all the hallmarks of pointless post-building, I strongly suspect you'll be trying to sell us something in the near future .......
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ben_crow wrote: »
    do you know why i cant check my credit score anywhere

You will have to give more information.
  • Please can I ask advice? I have an account on my credit file that was in my name but a family member used this account with their bank details and defaulted on multiple payments, is there any way I can dispute this? As I made no payments to this account and had no idea it was in my name until I opened a credit report check! Help!

Thanks
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Emma-Rose wrote: »
    Please can I ask advice? I have an account on my credit file that was in my name but a family member used this account with their bank details and defaulted on multiple payments, is there any way I can dispute this? As I made no payments to this account and had no idea it was in my name until I opened a credit report check! Help!

Thanks

So are you saying the account was opened up without your knowledge ?

If so then it's fraud, only way I can see you getting it removed is to report the issue to the bank and the police.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Contact the firm which the account is with and tell them that you didn't open the account.
  • nins
    nins Posts: 12
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Despite having more than 10% deposit and potential mortgage payments being less than my current rent I have been turned down for a first-time mortgage from a couple of lenders. Advised to improve my credit score which, when I joined MSE Credit Club and checked 3 months ago, was 736. Since then, I have switched my current account to Nationwide and opened a regular saver with them, as well as a Help to Buy ISA. I have also applied for my first credit card, which has a small credit limit but I spend lightly on it and pay it off in full at the end of the month. I had previously lived at home with parents in Northern Ireland and only moved to England and my own rented place in Sept 2016, so have registered to vote and arranged to pay rent through Credit Ladder.
    Last month, my score had dropped to 650 but this month it has dropped further to 485!
    Would appreciate any advice
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    nins wrote: »
    Last month, my score had dropped to 650 but this month it has dropped further to 485!
    Would appreciate any advice

Ignore it.
  • Hi All,

I am new to this forum, having read lots of thread, I believe this forum is really helpful. I will be grateful if someone can give me the correct information.

I have a tax credit over payment since 2011 which HMRC was collection through my Tax credit award until I have started a second job in September 2016. Once I notified about my second job, the HMRC has stopped my Tax credit Award payment. Have not heard anything until I Have received a NOTICE TO PAY letter in June 2017. As soon as I received that letter, I have called the HMRC payment helpline and set up the Direct Debit to repay the pver payment amount by monthly instalment.

Everything was fine, then I have received a letter yesterday from a Debt Collection Agency stated that HMRC has appointed them to collect the over payment amount.However, I have already agreed to pay this over payment amount HMRC by Direct Debit.

I have called HMRC this morning asked for explanation, they said it was a system error. HMRC gave me a reference number to give it to Debt collection Agency.

Then I called the debt collection agency and gave that reference number and explained the situation. They said they will put my case as pending until they have received the confirmation from HMRC. Once confirmed by HMRC, they will close my case. Although, I have asked them to send a confirmation once the case is closed, but they said they are not going to send any confirmation. I need to give them a call to find it out.

Can anyone please advice me is there anything else I can do? And is this whole situation going to affect my credit rating anyway?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your help.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback