Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
  • DMPDarling
    Hi superchild.
    I am a dressmaker ...without causing any offence, some people do not see the quality nor understand it. Some wouldn't know the difference between silk and synthetic....
    I guess you could think of it like this. If you buy a cheap toy and it says "made in Taiwan" inside, you know it isn't going to last."
    HTH
    Originally posted by lindaatno9
    I'm sure it is a bit of a gamble to pay for a dress without seeing it first, I'm hoping less of a gamble if you go to one of the more established, tried and tested sites (fingers crossed my own wont be terrible). However the fact is you can get a dress from one of these sites, made to your own measurements, for a fraction of the cost of buying it in the UK. If I get it and don't like it I can get it altered, or worst case I could go on to order another 5 x dresses from these sites for the same price as 1 uk dress. Its such a dramatic saving lots of people are willing to take a risk.

I think I might be one of those people who might not 'understand' the quality and be unable to tell the difference between silk and synthetic - but if I don't know the difference, and it seems like good quality to me, then what do I care what its really made out of? I'm only going to be wearing it for 5 hours, after which it will never be worn again, I don't need it to 'last' any longer than that.

I understand the message you are trying to get across, and that you are trying to promote your own UK industry, all three of my sisters had their dresses hand made by a wonderful local seamstress and they were beutiful - but please bear in mind this is a forum about money saving weddings, many brides here, including me, are trying to get married on a shoestring, and that can mean that there just isn't the budget for a 1,000 hand made dress, otherwise I would have gone to the same seamstress as my sisters, sites like Milly and Landy mean that I have chance to look fantastic on my wedding day for 150.

• lindaatno9
    • By lindaatno9 20th Mar 09, 6:41 PM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 1,611 Thanks
    lindaatno9

I understand the message you are trying to get across, and that you are trying to promote your own UK industry, all three of my sisters had their dresses hand made by a wonderful local seamstress and they were beutiful - but please bear in mind this is a forum about money saving weddings, many brides here, including me, are trying to get married on a shoestring, and that can mean that there just isn't the budget for a 1,000 hand made dress, otherwise I would have gone to the same seamstress as my sisters, sites like Milly and Landy mean that I have chance to look fantastic on my wedding day for 150.
    Originally posted by DMPDarling
    Couldn't agree with you more, but lets not forget, there are seamstresses out there that aren't very good either! Blimey, 1,000 for handmade. I am tooo cheap lol. My costings have NEVER come in anywhere near that. How I like to save money is to send someone into a store and try on very expensive gowns. Then, after passing on the wholesale fabric price to the customer, i charge my fee (which has rarely come in over 500. This sometimes enables me to use fine silks!)
    What my bug bear is with these companys is, the copyright issues. Desingners work so hard to come up with ideas and these companies rip them off. On occasion, the quality of the fabrics is poor and quality is shoody. I stress, ON OCCASION. I wouldn't let anything out of my door that I wasn't 110% proud of. What I find hard to understand is, this is the most important day of a girls life, so to have the attitude, if it's no good I'll buy another 5 is not an efficiant way to save money if you are using these people to do exactly that.
    My opinion and totally no intention to aggrivate.
  • phatgurl
    light in the box......
    Some people have not had very good experiences with companies similar to lightinthebox, but I'm not one of them. I'm working on a budget but despite going to numerous shops I couldn't find the dress I wanted (for a plus size bride getting married abroad) so on a recommendation frm a good friend of mine,who had her dress made by them, I ordered my wedding dress from lightinthebox.

Had no problems ordering, great communication with them throughout the whole process and the dress arrived within 3 weeks. Took it out of the box and it was beautiful, fabric was of good quality, fitted like a glove and couldn't fault the workmanship at all. I ordered my bridesmaid dresses from them as well.

If I could have afforded my dress to be handmade here I would have done it as the range and designs of dresses for a plus size brides in the UK isn't great I would have had to have ordered it from the US anyway.

Yes you take a risk but you do that in life anyway and I wouldn't want to deprive anyone from earning a living but for me it was about the cost. I took the risk and it paid off for me.

Getting married December 2009 in the Caribbean!
    • nat82
    • By nat82 10th Jul 09, 1:33 PM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    nat82
    That's great phatgurl, glad your dress is perfect! It's good to hear reports!
    • kelda_shelton
    • By kelda_shelton 10th Jul 09, 1:41 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 1,980 Thanks
    kelda_shelton
    I emailed light in the box for quitea big order asking for some info before I placed an order.... the site gave me a reference no and emailed me with the details automatically.. It says they would get back to me in 2 days. - 12 weeks later.. still waiting!

I went with Gianni Bridal who so afr have been fabby!
  • gadgetscatcher
    Lightinthebox.com is located in Beijing of China. it's awesome. These are a lot of good sites like it, like DealExtreme, UxSight, ChinaViasion, Uxcell & more they are all great.It's a good idea to make deal with them!
    Only Tears Left :confused:
  • KenVen
    Don't buy from LightintheBox
    You will not get after sales/customer support once you pay for your item/s.

Bought a phone in december 2008 for over 300 dollars and a month later the phone is confirmed to the loft. I had series of problems ranging from trying to get information about the operating system of the phone to short talk-time (2 minutes) baterry life. The manual accompanying the phone was pretty useless!!

Go to complaints.com and google complain about lightinthebox.com. Avoid sweet reviews from wholesalers' website.

Avoid them like a plague. Apparently they re-invented themselves as lightinthebox because of bad publicity and some USA law suits.
  • KenVen
    Do not patronise good people seeking honest opinion
    Lightinthebox.com is located in Beijing of China. it's awesome. These are a lot of good sites like it, like DealExtreme, UxSight, ChinaViasion, Uxcell & more they are all great.It's a good idea to make deal with them!
    Originally posted by gadgetscatcher
    You sound like Chinesse wholesaler's sales person. But have you ever bought anything from this site??? And if yes, did you get after sales support??? You probably did not.
    People like you come to a good website like this one offering EXCELLENT advise to consumers - I do not think you are not welcome here!!!
  • Louiseod
    has anyone bought a wedding dress recently from any of the Chinese sites advertising through ebay?The dress I have seen retails at over 1000 but they promise to make it for 199.00 is it too good to be true?
    • Herbiecat
    • By Herbiecat 20th Aug 09, 7:50 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    Herbiecat
    has anyone bought a wedding dress recently from any of the Chinese sites advertising through ebay?The dress I have seen retails at over 1000 but they promise to make it for 199.00 is it too good to be true?
    Originally posted by Louiseod

Have a look at the Landy thread, theres loads of info on there about chinese sites.
  • KellyMonster
    Do not use lightinthebox.com.

I ordered a custom made bridesmaid dress, which was so small a child could hardly fit into it. They would not give me a refund or replacement because it had been custom made (although the measurements on the dress were clearly wrong) but offered me free shipping.

To get the free shipping all I had to do was wire the money via PayPal and give details on exactly what dress I wanted, which I did two weeks ago. I have heard nothing from them and the wedding is in 8 weeks.

If you want a stress free experience, choose another supplier.
  • raspabarbas
    What's with all the spam replies on this thread?!

We've had a couple of things from LITB and so far no complaints- we first asked for their fabric swatch which was great, I mean, it's all synthetic but for those prices you kind of expect that, but you can see how thick the fabrics are and how the colours actually look when you see them in front of you and not on a screen. We also got two veils and a garter, just to try out when looking at frocks. (and we thought since they're so cheap, if they're really carp we can get a better one) All arrived promptly and not that bad considering the price.
    Married Ajichombo on 17th April 2010
  • Jilly5
    I've never seen so much spam on one thread!!! If it helps in any way i went to my friends wedding on Saturday and her dress was from this company and it was beautiful!!! No idea on the logistices etc of it getting here however x
  • wiggychick
    I ordered 3 bridesmaid dresses from Light In The Box and they arrived this week.
    An amazing 2 weeks from order to delivery, really good quality - much better than I was expecting. Fully lined & boned!
    I have one BM in the US, so needed a way of making sure that all dresses were the same and fitted. Also all thee could look on the site and let me know about what styles and colours they liked. In that respect it worked particularly well.
    I did made to measure for all three and because I didn't pay so much for the dresses can afford to do the minor adjustments that are needed (tighten shoulder straps on 2, raise hem on 1, 1 perfect)
    Be warned - sizes are either US standard or in inches on made to measure. I triple checked everything and still nearly ordered in centimeters!
    Also, the colours don't show up so well on the internet - my "Burgundy" came back a very rich red. (Which fortunately I love) So I recommend checking out the colours on the best monitor you can lay your hands on.
    I did try to get in touch with after sales support about an error I made with my email address. There is NO after sales support. I managed to IM someone who promised to pass on my details but I never heard a thing back.
    I will definately be using them again, but in the knowlege that if it all goes horribly wrong I will have only myself to blame (and if possible rely on my credit card to claim the money back...)

Wiggy xx

Long time reading and first time posting

7 months to the big day and counting......
  • MJ2L
    I ordered a dress from idobrides.info,Honestly, I am very satisfied with the dress. They sent me update pictures of dresses in each stage, and when I wasn't satisfied with a part of the dress, they fixed it at once. The quality of handwork and material was super. All in all, I'm so happy with the service and the dress from I Do Brides.And all the pictures on their website are the actual sample dress,the dress you get will be excatly the same as picture shows.
  • Jilly5
    I ordered a dress from idobrides.info,Honestly, I am very satisfied with the dress. They sent me update pictures of dresses in each stage, and when I wasn't satisfied with a part of the dress, they fixed it at once. The quality of handwork and material was super. All in all, I'm so happy with the service and the dress from I Do Brides.And all the pictures on their website are the actual sample dress,the dress you get will be excatly the same as picture shows.
    Originally posted by MJ2L

SPAM!!!!! 3 times i've read this comment on 3 different threads on this forum!!!!!!
  • floetry
    so far so good
    I bought a mobile phone for my daughter from lightinthebox, good value for money and good customer service. I have however since returned the phone as my daughter broke the touch screen and the company offered to fix it for a very reasonable price, the phone has yet to be returned to me though. communication between me and the company has been good so i`m not worried.....yet
  • tentpole
    someone reported this site sold fake items.
    thanks god, my last order worked well
  • comeonsale
  • topsalers
    many bad reports
    I've never seen so much spam on one thread!!! If it helps in any way i went to my friends wedding on Saturday and her dress was from this company and it was beautiful!!! No idea on the logistices etc of it getting here however x
    Originally posted by Jilly5

So many fake comments on this topic, as you can see so many china people who work for this company has given good reports about themself

I orderd a PS3 from this company and the games was fake and the system didnt even work !!

I tried to get my money back from them by putting a paypal claim in and I LOSE the claim , and lost the money.

I have also found some bad reports on this forum -

wholesaledropshippingforums.co.uk

: rotfl:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,036Posts Today

5,448Users online

Martin's Twitter