Your Bangernomics successes

Comments

• mr_harris
    mr_harris Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi

My Punto went through the MOT only needed the Exhaust resealing and head lights polishing , they thought I had a broken Suspension spring but it was the plastic cover that was broken lol when my mechanic had a look.

Really worth knowing a cheap honest Mechanic when you have an old car.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mr_harris wrote: »
    Hi

My Punto went through the MOT only needed the Exhaust resealing and head lights polishing , they thought I had a broken Suspension spring but it was the plastic cover that was broken lol when my mechanic had a look.

Really worth knowing a cheap honest Mechanic when you have an old car.

Even better when you leave the garage expecting the worst to only discover it was a quick cheap fix.
  • mr_harris
    mr_harris Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Even better when you leave the garage expecting the worst to only discover it was a quick cheap fix.

Yes thanks Jim and cheers for starting this thread :)
  • Went to look at a 4 and a half year old Renault Captur today at a back street used car showroom. Thinking about part exing my 2008 207 1.4 HDI for something a little bigger and newer.

I was in for a shock when they only offered me £150 for my trusty 207 and to top it off they wanted to charge me an £85 admin fee too! Since when did back street places start charging scam admin fees?

If I went for the deal I would be basically giving them my car for nothing. :rotfl:

Think I'll just stick to my bangernomic a little longer.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Went to look at a 4 and a half year old Renault Captur today at a back street used car showroom. Thinking about part exing my 2008 207 1.4 HDI for something a little bigger and newer.

I was in for a shock when they only offered me £150 for my trusty 207 and to top it off they wanted to charge me an £85 admin fee too! Since when did back street places start charging scam admin fees?

If I went for the deal I would be basically giving them my car for nothing. :rotfl:

Think I'll just stick to my bangernomic a little longer.

You'd get double that on faceslap/gumtree/autotrader Lee ;)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • GunJack wrote: »

Yep that's true but they still didn't want to budge on the £85 scam admin fee either. All they wanted to do was quote monthly finance figures even though I made it clear it was going to be a cash (debit card) purchase!
  • JamesN
    JamesN Posts: 776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yep that's true but they still didn't want to budge on the £85 scam admin fee either. All they wanted to do was quote monthly finance figures even though I made it clear it was going to be a cash (debit card) purchase!

It’s always a red flag for me. Just screams dishonest to me. You should always be upfront with the price.
  • GunJack wrote: »
    JamesN wrote: »
    It’s always a red flag for me. Just screams dishonest to me. You should always be upfront with the price.

Somewhere else has since offered quadruple for my part ex.
  • JamesN
    JamesN Posts: 776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Somewhere else has since offered quadruple for my part ex.

Glad to hear it. Have you found another car now? I’d have not gone with them on principle after trying to pull the admin fee charge.
  • Hyundai Accepnt 1.3 petrol
    Bought for £300

Kept passign MOT's with nothing needed ever

Traded for £500 2 years later with zero issues as the number plate ended in STE so the bloke thought I was called steve, quick lookup and the number plate alone was worth £500

Literally profitted.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure