It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

Options

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Quite!!

We can only hope for bright, clear, cold and frosty days though. Much more inspiring to get out in the fresh air when it's sunny, even if you need to wrap up like the Michelin Man!!

Anyway, I've been sloth like today...mainly reading and watching rugby and GP highlights!!

The nice thing for you now though is that if there is a nice day then you can choose to get out there - after a dismal weekend I have to work all week and if it brightens up I will just have to look out of the window and wish I was out there.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Were also making a conscious effort to use the "for best" stuff, that's been gathering dust in the cupboards, for everyday.

Wine glasses, cutlery, China etc. If it gets broken now, so be it. We've had most of it for over 25 years!!!

I also find myself considering environmental issues more, even though we don't have children of our own.

Just because you CAN buy something, doesn't mean you should! Can I reuse or repair first?

E.g. our Dyson hose had a hole in it. They sell replacement hoses...but a bit of duct tape sorted it, and it works perfectly now!!

How many people would just buy a whole new vacuum cleaner, not even just the hose, in that situation?!

Anyway, I'm rambling...I've had wine!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I suspect most of us following this thread mostly want to know what the wine budget is in the scheme of things :rotfl:
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Was it home made wine?
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Our wine budget is strictly Aldi!! We pay approx £5 per bottle.

Today was the Hardy's Chapter & Verse Merlot. We make it last 2 days.

Our other favourites are the Makaraka Sauvignon Blanc, and the Castellore Prosecco (orange label).

We only have a bottle a week, on average, so we're not a couple of lushes!! (honest!!)
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Our wine budget is strictly Aldi!! We pay approx £5 per bottle.

Today was the Hardy's Chapter & Verse Merlot. We make it last 2 days.

Our other favourites are the Makaraka Sauvignon Blanc, and the Castellore Prosecco (orange label).

We only have a bottle a week, on average, so we're not a couple of lushes!! (honest!!)

May I suggest you raise the bar a little for their "Exquisite Argentinian Malbec" (£5.99). A *very* nice taste!

We have managed to win about a dozen bottles of red this year from coming second in our local in our weekly pub quiz.....not a bad taste, but not the Malbec.....
    Of course first prize is MONEY!
    (#WeSpendMoreThanThatOnAlcohol-NotAMoneysavingSuggestion!)
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    cfw1994 wrote: »
    I suspect most of us following this thread mostly want to know what the wine budget is in the scheme of things :rotfl:

My partner and I have additional SIPPs specifically for retirement wine and beer! :)
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Were also making a conscious effort to use the "for best" stuff, that's been gathering dust in the cupboards, for everyday.

Wine glasses, cutlery, China etc. If it gets broken now, so be it. We've had most of it for over 25 years!!!

I also find myself considering environmental issues more, even though we don't have children of our own.

Just because you CAN buy something, doesn't mean you should! Can I reuse or repair first?

E.g. our Dyson hose had a hole in it. They sell replacement hoses...but a bit of duct tape sorted it, and it works perfectly now!!

How many people would just buy a whole new vacuum cleaner, not even just the hose, in that situation?!

Anyway, I'm rambling...I've had wine!!

I am a duct tape girl. Goes with me most places, i keep a roll in the car.

I repaired my old dyson twice, incl once it needed a new electric cord. but eventually i got a new one. The old one was one of the first upright models.
  • atush
    Options
    Aldi has a nice fleurie at the moment bit it is a little over yoru budget. We dont have Aldi here, so i ordered a case of the fleurie- will be my OH christmas present.

We have wine with dinner 5 nights a week. Not quite lushes as we dont drink for 2 days lol.
  • atush
    Options
    So today was the first day of my OH's 'retirement'. Ie he has gone down to 4 days per week.

I do my shop in Town and the big grocery store on a Friday so he went with. We also met our new premier banking person. Then we had Pizza (and i had a glass of wine- at lunchtime no less lol). Did a little xmas shopping, then home via the dry cleaners and the charity shop (4 bags of clothes one box of books). Will be back to the decluttering tomorrow.

But he has spent the last few hours sine we got home complaining about the speed of our internet. I have a feeling complaining will be one of his new pastimes lol.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback