PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 October 2019 at 7:19PM
    Thanks @Farway :)

Yes BM do have both some bbq ones and/or Brnstn , unless they are one and the same I cannot recall. I think they have Hz's and Brnst. I don't like vinegar content though either so Worcestershire type sauce content is out unfortunately. I suppose if I see a tiny Hz or Brn tin I should get just one to 'find out for sure' as its been a long time. Same with their hoops and the like. :)

As per usual with them and other online listings, what is in the shops/stocked in the shop varies from what is online but that's expected. For instance my local does not have -any- frozen bits as they have no freezer, they have only recently expanded the "cool shelf" area from one unit to about 4. :)

Silly example would be those Smed's tinned pots, no signs of them online but they've been selling them for at least oh 6 weeks if not longer now! :D

Do you think the ones (if I can find them!) with the veggie sausage would be a better bet then ? I'm thinking only Hz's here simply as I can't get to Morr's anyway, no doubt other markets have them but I'd probably want a decent brand for 'new things' to try to start with.

I am actually aware of one relative who does buy the beans/sausage and does not eat meat, but she cooks them with the saus and removes said items for the doggies to eat. I think its a 'flavouring' thing perhaps. Mind you saying 'no meat' she does eat chipshop "fish cake in breadcrumbs" on rare occasions (the relative not the doggies!) but that is about as far as it goes, and I think that's probably once/twice a year. No other meat foods for her at all, not even say chipshop battered fish etc.

@unrecordings, I did not get around to trying LM's sausage rolls or pies as it insisted on an oven, mind you their regular sausage -does- work OK in the microwave with a bit of care.

The 'all day' things I tried one once and it was terrible, to be fair it was not the 'well known brand' that does three or four different types in these tins it was some erm 'bargain' one. :) I daresay the well known 'hungry br3kes" branded ones are quite reasonable.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone,

I'm back to CFO again!

Goodness hot bovril/oxo reminds me of being a wee girl and going fishing with my Dad at the local harbour. I had a hand-line rather than a rod and used to love it:), I could only have been 4 or 5:eek: as we hadn't long moved to near where we used to go. It was always freezing and we always had a flask of a beefy drink with us. You do see it sometimes offered as a hot drink in traditional cafes but can't think of the last time I had it. My Dad was always scared I would fall in and used to rein me to railings with my sister's pram harness and a length of rope if it was really windy which it always seemed to be. :cool: He used to tie me to him until his pal pointed out if he fell he'd take me with him!
    I much prefer cocoa to the instant drinking chocolate even though it is a faff. I do sometimes make it in the winter. I like the malted drinks too on a cold night.:)

I didn't expected to read you had been using a gas hob PN, great news :D. Do you think when you get your new place that you might feel able to use an electric hob if it was one you could switch the circuit off at the wall when not in use?

The weather has been pretty foul since last evening but thankfully for most of the day yesterday it stayed dry and we got the remaining clearance done at my Dad's. I do need to start clearing my dining room as it's has become a bit of a dumping ground for stuff from his house that myself or other folk are keeping and some ornaments we are planning to have valued.

My son didn't go out last night and we had a lovely chilled evening together, treating ourselves to a "posh" Indian takeaway from a restaurant a few miles away (priceyish but very good) and watching "Shaun of Dead" for the umpteenth time as we both enjoy it.:D Our local takeaway/restaurant is decent enough but sometimes the takeaways are less good when the restaurant and take out demand is high at the weekend. Despite making a concerted effort not to over-order the portions were very generous and my son took LOs with him when he left and there's bit left for me to have tonight too and I used up some tandoori lamb in a roll at lunchtime. For dinner tonight I've added onions, baby spuds, cauli and spinach to LO curry sauce and will have some of that with LO tandoori chicken thigh and naan. Between Friday night's cullen skink & garlic bread from the freezer and last night, apart from making us Lorne & tattie scone rolls yesterday for lunch I've really not cooked at all. I plan to remedy that over the next few days as the forecast is dire so I'm not planning on venturing out much unless I have to.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    AndyCF wrote: »
    Thanks @Farway @unrecordings, I did not get around to trying LM's sausage rolls or pies as it insisted on an oven, mind you their regular sausage -does- work OK in the microwave with a bit of care.

Oh yes sorry - they're frozen/oven bake (we don't have a microwave)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I grew up in a brovil household spread on toast rather than marmite, you've reminded me Farway that I haven't had it as a hot drink for years :)

We shared your good weather Farway, with rain moving across the county line most of the day :cool: definitely dissuaded me from going to far today. I popped round to 'fix' an ex elderly neighbour's email, although all I did was click on a couple of things and removed a old email address on her tablet :D. I got paid with a cup of tea, I had to go out for petrol so combined. Picked up YS Savoy cabbage and cauliflower in the garage, (co-op)

PN i would find a shared household difficult to do after years of living alone, so I imagine it's worst for you, I know it's needs must so hopefully your perfect house will appear soon

Nothing much for lunch today apple and cheese and a pack of crisp. I roasted the gammon for dinner and cooked some Boulangere potatoes with celeriac when the oven was on. I made cauliflower with mozzarella sprinkled on top a low calorie version of cauliflower cheese, note to self the low fat mozzarella I brought was tasteless and didn't work :o. There will be LO tomorrow and gammon most of week which isn't a bad thing as I've a busy week :)

Glad you had a good weekend Caronc :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • I sometimes have a hot Marmite drink. It does remind me of being younger.:)

I am quite hungry today! I have a bit more leftover smoked tofu, rice, sweetcorn and peas in the fridge. I think I am going to fry some red onion, tomatoes and broccoli in olive oil and curry powder and add the leftovers to it. :EasterBun
    I've had some fairly nasty sausage rolls over the years, so stopped eating them about 20 years ago - except for simple vegan/vegetarian ones, so no unpleasant surprises. The Linda Mac ones are really nice.

Ooh, yes, they are nice!:T
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2019 at 8:47AM
    "When I have a home ..." :) I do like to have 3-4 tins in the cupboard that are "meals in a tin" and I'll usually have sausages/beans in there. I notice some shops offer veggie sausages/beans but never bothered to try those. I buy full sized cans as any half-can offering is disproportionately priced so you feel ripped off.

Meals in a tin will typically be: beans/sausages, spag bol, meatballs in tomato sauce. At one point in the past Sainsbobs used to do a vegetable soup with dumplings - and that was thick like a proper stew, so at 65p/can I sometimes had those in the cupboard as an "instant stew&dumps meal"

I had a quick look, looks like they still do it, 75p.... I'd not spotted it as I rarely go to Sainsbobs and I couldn't find the cans last time I looked (I wasn't expecting a tin change) https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-chunky-beef---dumplings-soup-400g

Yesterday I had my cooked breakfast and later on I had a toasted sausage sandwich... a bag of doritos and some sweeties were eaten. But "that was it".

Raining again/still. I've a loaf, I've beans open, I've cheese - I expect I'll have cheesy beans on toast later.

Out of eggs and almost out of coffee, so I guess I might have to go and get those today.
    I've had some fairly nasty sausage rolls over the years, so stopped eating them about 20 years ago - except for simple vegan/vegetarian ones, so no unpleasant surprises. The Linda Mac ones are really nice.
    It is an upbringing that included gristley sausages and gristley mince that makes me picky about what my meat looks like and if I'll chance it.

I was great about the L1dl cheapo 6 packs of sausage rolls for taste/cost but they changed the recipe about 3-4 months ago and the last time I bought a pack I think there was one knobbly bit in there, which turned my stomach, so not rushing to eat them again.

I grabbed a pack of Linda M's sausages at L1dl last week, those lovely rosemary/onion ones. £1.25 from memory... not a great price, but I was there, they were there, I fancied a change and grabbed them. Pack still unopened at present... but they will get eaten in the next 1-2 weeks.
    caronc wrote: »
    I didn't expected to read you had been using a gas hob PN, great news :D. Do you think when you get your new place that you might feel able to use an electric hob if it was one you could switch the circuit off at the wall when not in use?

It is always "the dream", to "be normal and just get on with it" and I'd like to be able to use these things, but we'll just have to see. In part, my ability to use them will depend on kitchen layout... I feel more "twitchy" about electrical items in a kitchen that has no outside door/escape :)

Only time will tell how things turn out.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I had a quick look, looks like they still do it, 75p.... I'd not spotted it as I rarely go to Sainsbobs and I couldn't find the cans last time I looked (I wasn't expecting a tin change) https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-chunky-beef---dumplings-soup-400g

I like the look of that, but I won't go into Sainsburys - ours is horrific starting at the door with a massive trolley escalator
    It is an upbringing that included gristley sausages and gristley mince that makes me picky about what my meat looks like and if I'll chance it.

last time I bought a pack I think there was one knobbly bit in there, which turned my stomach, so not rushing to eat them again.

Sausage fear - 'wall's have ears' as Victor Lewis Smith once said. When I used to trolley up & down the M1 in a van full of flightcases, it was traditional to stop off for a pasty etc halfway back. After a series of knobbly pasties (Ginsters) I stopped eating them too. There's a local bakery does a really nice pastie, but I fear that sooner or later I'll be knobbled

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,215 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 October 2019 at 9:53AM
    Another wet day, with yellow warning from lunchtime on, so no going out for me

For a change I had fresh mango in my porridge.

I was given the mango, it's not something I buy 'cos it's too fiddly & slippery to prepare, plus lot of waste if paying full price. However it was nice enough for free

Lunch I think will be corned beef rolls, may add raw onion in, or maybe a tomato, I still have my own toms to eat, enough for this week anyway

Dinner, with this weather I'm thinking of belly filling use ups

I've got gammon, plus YS spuds sprouting so I'm thinking of big pot of mash, then Andy special [stir in cooked peas] stir the chopped gammon in, serve with PN nuker cheese sauce on top
    Real CFO homage:D
    AndyCF wrote: »
    Do you think the ones (if I can find them!) with the veggie sausage would be a better bet then ? I'm thinking only Hz's here simply as I can't get to Morr's anyway, no doubt other markets have them but I'd probably want a decent brand for 'new things' to try to start with.
    I think for first time outing the veggie ones would be safer.

The meat ones I've had are finely minced filling but just in case there is a knobbly bit best avoided on first attempt

Likewise PN, I went of L's saus rolls after a knobbly bit, I've sort of given up on them now. I like Linda M's but only eat them when invited round to veggie rellies
    Linda M pies are nice as well, not cheap though

On knobbly bits, I find I same with pork pies, so I stick with real Melton M'by ones because the have to meet PGI standards

Caron, fishing with a hand-line, we still do it with the grandchildren, for crabs in a large boating lake on the sea front. Loads of kids doing same. Loads go down on a sunny day, plus the model power boats for the big boys:D

The water is only a couple of feet deep so even a toddler could stand up and survive if they fell in
    I like the look of that, but I won't go into Sainsburys - ours is horrific starting at the door with a massive trolley escalator

Sausage fear - 'wall's have ears' as Victor Lewis Smith once said. When I used to trolley up & down the M1 in a van full of flightcases, it was traditional to stop off for a pasty etc halfway back. After a series of knobbly pasties (Ginsters) I stopped eating them too. There's a local bakery does a really nice pastie, but I fear that sooner or later I'll be knobbled

Must be a Sainsbob thing with escalators, ours has them as you walk in. I use the lift cos escalators & my wobble don't mix

Oh, knobbly pasties has reminded me, uggh,:eek: I do eat them still, but tend to either buy posh expensive genuine pasty shop ones or stick to veggie versions
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone,
    Farway wrote: »

Caron, fishing with a hand-line, we still do it with the grandchildren, for crabs in a large boating lake on the sea front. Loads of kids doing same. Loads go down on a sunny day, plus the model power boats for the big boys:D

The water is only a couple of feet deep so even a toddler could stand up and survive if they fell in

Simple pleasures Farway, I used to do the same with my kids when they were younger at the local rocks. :)

PN- hopefully you'll get a kitchen that will work for you layout wise.:)

Unexpectedly dry here this morning though how long for remains to be seen. I'm going to make the most of it a get stuck in to some gardening. I think it's time to take most of the tom plants down so it will shortly be green tomato time in my conservatory, if anything like previous years they'll ripen quite happily in there.

Soup from the freezer for lunch and a "sausage, black pudding and parsnip bake" for dinner.
  • L/o sausage and rice from yesterday may have for lunch although have a portion of carrot and orange soup too. Took small portion of what looks like mince out of freezer as well as a lump of what I think is cooking bacon so having a think. Whilst oven was on yesterday I put a couple of potatoes in to cook and a couple of onions wrapped in foil - they could be used with the mince or bacon to make a sort of pie type thing, we will see.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback