Talk Talk to introduce charges for email if no broadband

Received an email from Talk Talk yesterday (8/10/19) setting out that in order to continue to improve their email service they intended to introduce a monthly charge of £5 per month (or £50 p.a.) for NON Broadband account holders w.e.f 7/12/19. For those not taking up the paid service, Talk Talk would begin closing down email accounts in the following months.

I had been a Talk Talk broadband customer for years but the increasingly dreadful broadband speeds, breaks in service, and then appalling customer service forced me to move elsewhere.

Now, it seems that they have found a very self-destructive business method of making sure that they will never regain my custom in the future - I also suspect that many others in this position will feel the same way. My 4 email addresses with Talk Talk are going to be closed down - anytime after 7/12/19 - unless I agree to pay fees. NO WAY.

As inconvenient as it is, I will be making sure that I find alternative means.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,868
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    This isn't a new thing, BT do exactly the same.

And this is why you shouldn't use an ISP email address unless you really have to. You may lose it when you move and while a Gmail/Yahoo/Outlook.com email address are not pretty, they still work on any provider.
  • Spam incoming...
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Organisation Representative
    Hi Demandfairness,

I'm sorry you're unhappy. We’ve made a significant investment to update and completely redesign TalkTalk Mail. With a sleek new inbox, state-of-the-art security and support for mobile devices, making it easier for you to manage your online life. We've kept it free for our broadband customers but to keep improving our mail service we cannot provide it free of charge for customers who don't have broadband or fibre with us.

If you'd like to discuss this with us, you can reach out to us using the contact details on our website.

Jo - TalkTalk
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Now, it seems that they have found a very self-destructive business method of making sure that they will never regain my custom in the future
    You claim to suffer from "increasingly dreadful broadband speeds, breaks in service, and then appalling customer service". If this is the case, why would you ever want to return to TalkTalk?
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,484
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why would you expect any ISP to offer you a free email service for life jut because you were a customer at some point?
  • have been a Tiscali customer in the past but when Talk Talk took over the broadband was very poor and I moved providers.
    My wife and I have maintained a joint email address which contains a lot of important emails
    On my iPhone when I choose edit then move then select , the other email account I have which is outlook is greyed out and I am unable to move my emails out of Tiscali to Outlook
    I spoke with Apple and they advised that the Outlook account is not linked to the Tiscali email address so I should speak with talk talk
    I called talk talk and they said the only way I can link the outlook to Tiscali (talk talk) is to pay them £50 a year or £5 monthly and they would link the email accounts
    Is there any way around this fiasco any views would be appreciated
    2010 Posts: 5,329
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 December 2019 at 11:34AM
    A post about nothing.

There are plenty of FREE email accounts without tying yourself to an ISP`s own.
    At the end of every contract be it insurance, power, phone, etc., you need to search for another cheaper deal.
    So why would you expect to keep a "service" from a company you`re going to leave.
  • Sorry my problem is trying to link the emails and transfer everything out of Tiscali (Talk Talk) then they are welcome to close the email address
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You should still be able to forward the relevant emails to your new email account. That feature hasn't yet been disabled on mine.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    MDBrown wrote: »
    have been a Tiscali customer in the past but when Talk Talk took over the broadband was very poor and I moved providers.
    My wife and I have maintained a joint email address which contains a lot of important emails
    On my iPhone when I choose edit then move then select , the other email account I have which is outlook is greyed out and I am unable to move my emails out of Tiscali to Outlook
    I spoke with Apple and they advised that the Outlook account is not linked to the Tiscali email address so I should speak with talk talk
    I called talk talk and they said the only way I can link the outlook to Tiscali (talk talk) is to pay them £50 a year or £5 monthly and they would link the email accounts
    Is there any way around this fiasco any views would be appreciated

I'm not sure I understand how you were trying to move the e-mails from Tiscali to Outlook (I assume you mean Outlook.com mailbox).

But if you need a backup of your old mailbox before the provider shuts down the service, the best way to achieve it is to connect to the mailbox from a desktop client like MS Outlook or the build-in Windows Mail or Mozila Thunderbird then export all e-mails to a .PST file. Plenty of instructions on how to do it step-by-step.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure