Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 28th May 19, 3:49 PM
    • 8,974Posts
    • 32,283Thanks
    Primrose
    The War against plastic waste
    • 28th May 19, 3:49 PM
    The War against plastic waste 28th May 19 at 3:49 PM
    I don't know if we have a specific thread on here for sharing tips against reducing our plastic use - perhaps we could share them, but here's a current "bee in my bonnet".

We recently received our National Trust magazine which came packaged in an oute wrapper which said:
    "I am 100% compostable and contain Potato Starch. The National Trust has moved away from polythene wrapping to a more environmentally friendly potato starch film which is compostable.Here are several ways you can dispose of your wrapper:

1 Add to a well maintined home/garden compost heap
    2. Place it with your garden waste for industrial composting

3 Use to line your food waste caddy"

I realised we receive quite a few publications with these plastic wrappers, including magazines issued by weekend paper supplements so my self assigned task is to write to them all asking why, if the National Trust can adopt such a policy, the rest of them can't do the same ?

Anybody care to join me and do the same?

And please do share your tips for reducing plastic. The waste is reaching epidemic proportions, isn't it?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 18-06-2019 at 8:51 AM.
Page 16
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 25th Sep 19, 4:05 PM
    • 10,130 Posts
    • 35,354 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Anyone tried the gruum shampoo bar in this weeks email?
    Plus 2.50 for a tin?! No, no - string bag til it dries Then into a tin...
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 8th Oct 19, 4:43 PM
    • 10,130 Posts
    • 35,354 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I’m mildly of the view that a nice pewter mug worn as a statement necklace might trigger conversation & possibly even offers of a drink.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Can it be my family are reading my posts? Husband has just come home with a really lovely pewter mug with a Macintosh design found in a charity shop for 1.99! Now to fend off ideas it get given to someone for Christmas (other than me).
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 8th Oct 19, 9:13 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    Apparently you can make a washing liquid out of conkers? They are peeled, dried out and cut into little pieces and then when you need the soap, you soak some of the pieces in water. This can be done several times, with the results having different degrees of soapiness. I know one friend who is trying this out, and she is going to report back to the rest of us just how successful or otherwise it has been.

I'm allergic to tree nuts though, so I'm reluctant to try this out, even though I have a horse chestnut tree at the bottom of the garden.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035
    • bobbiz22
    • By bobbiz22 9th Oct 19, 10:33 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    bobbiz22
    Never heard of that ! Keep us posted. I'd be conscious of strange smell, if there is one?
    • Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    • By Crafty Lisa Hampshire 9th Oct 19, 12:45 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    I had heard of that with conkers but I was also told that horse chestnut trees are on the decline due to a disease so was wondering if this would be a good idea when perhaps the conkers should be left to grow etc.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Oct 19, 5:44 PM
    • 10,130 Posts
    • 35,354 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Happily the great conker query has been debated on another thread.
    May save you some effort & angst?
    • bobbiz22
    • By bobbiz22 10th Oct 19, 9:32 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    bobbiz22
    Update on shampoo & conditioner:

I have been using Friendly Soap - Lavender & Geranium shampoo bar and the conditioner bar and my hair feels no different to liquid shampoos. I think it helps that I transitioned to no paraben/no sls etc shampoos at the beginning of the year, so I haven't really experienced a "transition period" for my hair by switching to bars. I don't rinse with apple cider vinegar either... Plus the shampoo bar's are quite cheap - less than 3 and the conditioner bar is about 5. They recommend you dilute/melt the conditioner it into a container but I just rub onto my hair at the moment
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Oct 19, 10:20 AM
    • 10,130 Posts
    • 35,354 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I think the going SLS free bit is going to be tough for me - I'm so used to suds! Determined to try it though.
    • Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    • By Crafty Lisa Hampshire 10th Oct 19, 12:39 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    I was pleased as punch yesterday. I went and got bread from my usual bakery (I started getting it from there about 15 months ago) and kept asking them to not use a plastic bag. I did the same this time and I was told by a very cheerful lady that they have been told to use paper bags now rather than plastic where possible. A good piece of news to cheer me up.
    • never too old
    • By never too old 10th Oct 19, 1:13 PM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 31,309 Thanks
    never too old
    Afternoon all

Has anyone seen in Sainsburys the bins to put your unwanted plastic and packaging in? Just wondering if its a trial or its actually in all stores .

I feel the need to up my game on my household plastic usage and reduce even more and rely less on recycling .The more i educate myself on the damage that has been done to our planet the more i worry for my grandchildren's future.
    2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

1993.52 / 2019
    0%/100%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

1,951Users online

Martin's Twitter