Child Benefit Higher Salary

Good evening,

I have a quick query regarding child benefit and just want some clarification. I earn £59k a year and sacrifice 8% monthly into my pension, my partner earns £12.5k a year.

Am I right in thinking that child benefit is only based on one persons salary over £50k? So we would have to pay a percentage back should we claim it?

If this is the case, why is it only based on one persons salary, surely it should be based on a joint income as I could earn £49k and my partner could earn £49k and we would receive it? Or is this just another rule where Britain has not thought about that issue.

Thanks

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's if 'you or your partner' earn more than £50,000....so it's not based on one person's salary...
    https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-tax-charge
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply, on that link it says ‘if you have an individual income over £50,000’

To me that reads as a single persons salary or am I reading it wrong.

Thanks
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    The rule is the rule, and currently you would incur a tax liability because of it. If you do claim it, Increasing your pension contribution to get you below the limit is one possible move.

You might still want your partner to be claiming it, for pension sake.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,943 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It is based on one person's salary so in a household there might be two adults earning £49k (total £98k) and still getting child benefit, or alternatively one earning £60k and not getting child benefit.
  • Your "salary" is often irrelevant for High Income Child Benefit Charge purposes.

What counts is adjusted net income.

In the op's case the starting point would be taxable pay of £54,280. Other taxable income such as company benefits or savings interest might increase this. And personal pension contributions or gift aid payments could reduce it.

The salary sacrifice pension contributions cannot be deducted as they have already been taken into account when establishing the taxable pay (P60 figure).
  • Trust me on this - at that wage, don't bother to claim. I was in the same boat and you have to pay back almost the lot via self assessment and it's a right pain in the backside if it's not something you normally do. The only micro benefit is you can put it into a savings account, claim a tiny bit of interest) and pay back. Really is not worth it IMHO.
  • The lower earning partner should claim regardless of the higher earners income, as they will get NI credits toward the state pension, which they might miss on if their income drops below the NI threshold.

People's circumstances can and do change unexpectedly, so better to have the benefit now, then repay later.

It's an interest free loan from the government, not to be sniffed at !
  • Hi There,

I am in a very similar situation, my wife earns circa £5k per annum and I have recently jumped over the £50k mark and if I include company (BIK value etc) and small bonus it will be over £60k. With two young kids (2/6 yo) we have always put money from Child Ben. aside for them when they grow up.
    It would be shame to lose this now only because my carrier has finally gone in the right direction.

If you look at total Family income we might as well both be on circa £32.5k each without all this messing about... :(

I did some research myself and have few questions, would appreciate some help:
    1. Do I need to include company car P11D monetary value when calculating total income?
    2. Is there a limit how much I can offset as pert of my pension contribution?
    3. Would I be able to offset some of my pre tax Income by opening a Kids ISA account and transferring max allowance on a direct debit each month?
    4. If point 3 is applicable could I do this for both kids?

Many thanks
    Merry Christmas !

DavidT67 wrote: »
    The lower earning partner should claim regardless of the higher earners income, as they will get NI credits toward the state pension, which they might miss on if their income drops below the NI threshold.

People's circumstances can and do change unexpectedly, so better to have the benefit now, then repay later.

It's an interest free loan from the government, not to be sniffed at !
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    have a read of the HMRC guidance
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/adjusted-net-income
  • 1. Do I need to include company car P11D monetary value when calculating total income?
    2. Is there a limit how much I can offset as pert of my pension contribution?
    3. Would I be able to offset some of my pre tax Income by opening a Kids ISA account and transferring max allowance on a direct debit each month?
    4. If point 3 is applicable could I do this for both kids?

1. Yes, you need to include all taxable income so things like savings interest (but not from an ISA), dividends, P11D benefits all count. However the High Income Child Benefit Charge isn't based on total income. It is adjusted net income which counts for that.

2. There are limits to how much you can contribute and get tax relief however unless you are talking very large sums they won't impact you. Don't forget though that you cannot deduct all your pension contributions, some may already be deducted when working out your P60 pay figure, for example contributions under a net pay scheme.

You cannot deduct salary sacrifice pension contributions as you don't make these, your employer does. But your P60 figure would be much less so they are effectively taken into account as a result of that.

3 & 4. I'm not really sure what you exactly you mean but irrespective of that I doubt very much that whatever it is would have any impact on your adjusted net income.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure