i have been banned from tesco

14567810»

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    SPOWER wrote: »
    Hormone person. Nobody is listening. Nobody. Also change your username. I yawned off.

Er...what are you talking about ....
  • Moglex
    Moglex Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    No, although the plural of the Latin Forum is Fora, the term "Internet forum" is not considered to be of Latin origin and is given the plural "Internet Forums" according to English grammar rules.

I'd be interested to know on what authority " "Internet forum" is not considered to be of Latin origin ", since that would appear to be saying that the word 'forum' which means almost exactly the same as it does in Latin was chosen at random.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 June 2019 at 1:59PM
    Moglex wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know on what authority " "Internet forum" is not considered to be of Latin origin ", since that would appear to be saying that the word 'forum' which means almost exactly the same as it does in Latin was chosen at random.

I think he means that when it's used in English as an appropriation from Latin, the plural is anglicised.

Like football stadium. I'd be very suspicious of anyone who referred to football stadia and not stadiums.

Also census - don't think I've ever heard anybody say "censii". Mind you easier than saying "censuseseseseseses". How do you know when to stop?
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Moglex wrote: »

Yes. That is exactly what it is. The modern English word "Forum" has exactly the same spelling and mostly the same meaning as the Latin word "Forum" it was adopted from.

On what authority? Every dictionary and language resource I've checked, but none you'd be able to call an "authority" as, unlike the French, there isn't a single authority that controls and prescribes how the language is to be used, the English dictionaries and grammar rules describe how the language IS used. So I guess saying "by a consensus of how the word is used, it is generally agreed that the modern usage of the word follows modern English rules" is as close to an answer on "by what authority" as you'll ever get.

The Latin plural "fora" is almost only used when talking about public squares in Ancient Roman cities.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Go to ASDA.. it's impossible to get banned from there! It's full of unwashed scruffs wandering around in their PJs or giant giraffe onesies.
  • Omywordno1
    Omywordno1 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Is Tesco policy to ban from one to be banned from all if not go to another one?.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Husband is a thief and a fraudster.

Wife is an accessory.

Tesco is the victim.

Wife is looking for sympathy and advice? - Here's some: don't steal, don't be an accessory.

I'm all out of sympathy for thieves.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Omywordno1 wrote: »
    Is Tesco policy to ban from one to be banned from all if not go to another one?.

You do realise the OP is long gone.
  • Omywordno1
    Omywordno1 Posts: 40 Forumite
    I asked my friend who works for Tesco and they said that they wouldn't ban you the first time and only if you continuly did it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure