Enforcing the TV License

Options

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Realistically, though, they don't do this.
    Indeed, it is unlikely that they would have the required level of evidence to satsify the court that the order should be granted so they would just be wasting money on lawyers and court fees.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    I dont know if this is how they do it but i assumed they just cross check IP addresses with service providers to get physical addresses and then cross check that with their database of properties that have paid for a licence.

And no they dont expect everyone with a device capable of accessing online content to have a licence. They expect anyone who uses their licence services to have one.

As more and more people install VPN apps on their devices, it'll be nigh on impossible to tie an IP address to a physical address.
  • brewerdave
    Options
    There HAS to be a better way of funding the BBC, rather than the current King Canute approach of the Govt./BBC.

Once Sky start serving all their offerings via internet rather than satellite dish, it'll be ridiculously easy (for some) to avoid detection ie no dish ,no aerial....................
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In other words how can I get away with not getting a licence.
  • gabriel1980
    gabriel1980 Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To clarify, I'M not trying to get away without paying a TV license as I have a TV and do watch BBC channels sometimes. I'm more interested in how the BBC enforces their license as my mum (over 75) is soon going to have to start paying and she doesn't have much disposable income. She does use iPlayer a lot.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    To clarify, I'M not trying to get away without paying a TV license as I have a TV and do watch BBC channels sometimes. I'm more interested in how the BBC enforces their license as my mum (over 75) is soon going to have to start paying and she doesn't have much disposable income. She does use iPlayer a lot.

If it's worth the hassle (maybe for a few specific programs), she could download her iPlayer programs at a Licensed address, and then watch them later at home without needing a Licence.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    There HAS to be a better way of funding the BBC, rather than the current King Canute approach of the Govt./BBC.
    Danish "media licence" method. If you have a device capable of watching TV, you have to pay for the licence. Such devices include 3G smartphones, computers with a broadband connection, TVs etc.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • brewerdave
    Options
    Danish "media licence" method. If you have a device capable of watching TV, you have to pay for the licence. Such devices include 3G smartphones, computers with a broadband connection, TVs etc.

I'd read something about the Danish system. But as far as I can see, it has the same basic problems as our disfunctional system:) ....and appears to be about twice as much as ours:eek:
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We hear a lot about other countries having TV Licences, but apart from Ireland (where An Post enforcers are extremely unpopular), you rarely hear anything about how enforcement actually works in practice.

In countries that have the same European Charter of Human Rights, just how do they get around the Right to Privacy (or do they fudge it, like we do)?
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    I dont know if this is how they do it but i assumed they just cross check IP addresses with service providers to get physical addresses and then cross check that with their database of properties that have paid for a licence.

And no they dont expect everyone with a device capable of accessing online content to have a licence. They expect anyone who uses their licence services to have one.

Providers would not release such information without a court order. Its private information and they have no obligation towards the BBC.

However on a totally different subject, if for any reason you want to hide your IP. Just download the Opera internet browser and enable the VPN.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure