Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Options

Comments

• ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sunnykent wrote: »
    Haven't seen this posted elsewhere - the government has published its response to the SEG consultation and is about to lay the legislation in parliament

For those of us (or maybe just me?) about to press the button on a new PV installation, this provides some clarity that the exporting options will extend beyond Octopus

I still can't link, but the consultation response can be found at
    assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/807393/smart-export-guarantee-government-response.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/807393/smart-export-guarantee-government-response.pdf
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sunnykent wrote: »
    Haven't seen this posted elsewhere - the government has published its response to the SEG consultation and is about to lay the legislation in parliament

For those of us (or maybe just me?) about to press the button on a new PV installation, this provides some clarity that the exporting options will extend beyond Octopus

I still can't link, but the consultation response can be found at
    assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/807393/smart-export-guarantee-government-response.pdf

My question is: can I keep my deemed export FIT payments for my current set up and then get the new export tariff for additional panels I'm planning on adding?
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Options
    My question is: can I keep my deemed export FIT payments for my current set up and then get the new export tariff for additional panels I'm planning on adding?

I am wondering a similar thing, as I am thinking of changing from deemed export to the Octopus Agile Export, that pays a higher amount most late afternoons. For our west facing panels, that is when they usually produce the most and we can struggle to use the power available.
    I would also like to add more panels on the west and a new system on the east facing roof, if it would be worthwhile; especially with possibly adding another ASHP.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Theresa May commits to net zero UK carbon emissions by 2050
    The commitment, to be made in an amendment to the Climate Change Act laid in parliament on Wednesday, would make the UK the first member of the G7 group of industrialised nations to legislate for net zero emissions, Downing Street said.

Environmental groups welcomed the goal but expressed disappointment that the plan would allow the UK to achieve it in part through international carbon credits, something Greenpeace said would “shift the burden to developing nations”.
    France proposed net zero emissions legislation this year, while some smaller countries have gone for dates before 2050, such as Finland (2035) and Norway (2030), though the latter allows the buying of carbon offsets.
    The plan was endorsed by the CBI’s head, Carolyn Fairbairn, who said such efforts “can drive UK competitiveness and secure long-term prosperity”.

She added: “Some sectors will need clear pathways to enable investment in low-carbon technologies, and it is vital that there is cross-government coordination on the policies and regulation needed to deliver a clean future.”

Downing Street poured scorn last week on Hammond’s warnings, disclosed in a leaked letter, saying the supposed £1tn figure ignored both the economic benefits of action and the costs of not doing anything.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2019 at 6:30PM
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »

Yeah, we're all really confident that she'll take action..

There was an article in The Guardian by Caroline Lucas where I was composing a BTL comment when it closed for comments, drat.

Some classic statements in there such as nuclear scales faster than RE. Wake me up when HPC comes on stream..

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/12/theresa-may-net-zero-emissions-target-climate-change
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 June 2019 at 9:20PM
    Options
    Conservative govt chucks out new law (Zero net co2 emissions by 2050) that, totally out of character with every administration of the past century, is ambitiously long term in objective.

Conservative govt supports 3rd Heathrow runway, introduced reduction in EV subsidies and plans increased VAT on solar. Public transport commuters continue to be taxed on the money they have to pay for their work journeys.

Hypocritical? Surely not.
    News candy? Gotcha.
  • pile-o-stone
    pile-o-stone Posts: 396 Forumite
    Options
    No one will do anything. As we see in France when the Prez put a tax on diesel, people will get up in arms about anything that negatively impacts their lifestyle or increases taxes or bills. The earth is doomed because everyone is too selfish and self absorbed.

Even people on here and other sustainable/green forums I subscribe to are all about the payback and not about the positive impact of installing green tech.

I really find it all a bit disappointing :(
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 13 June 2019 at 10:15AM
    Options
    No one will do anything. As we see in France when the Prez put a tax on diesel, people will get up in arms about anything that negatively impacts their lifestyle or increases taxes or bills. The earth is doomed because everyone is too selfish and self absorbed.

Even people on here and other sustainable/green forums I subscribe to are all about the payback and not about the positive impact of installing green tech.

I really find it all a bit disappointing :(

Don't worry too much about the payback v's positive impact, a wins a win.

I used to argue for the positive side of RE etc, although on MSE I tended to skew more to the cost side given the nature of the forum. But now, the payback, or shall we say, economic arguments work in favour of RE, BEV's, insulation etc etc, so even if some folk focus only the economic side, then we still win.

In fact I'll go further, I really didn't think 'we' would win* when arguing for the 'real' costs of RE v's status quo, but now I'm certain we'll win thanks to the 800lb economics gorilla swapping sides.

*Win is itself an argumentative result. What we are really aiming for, with the Paris Accord for example, is to lose less bigly. A smaller loss than would otherwise be suffered is all we can now focus on when fighting for a win.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • pile-o-stone
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Don't worry too much about the payback v's positive impact, a wins a win.

I used to argue for the positive side of RE etc, although on MSE I tended to skew more to the cost side given the nature of the forum. But now, the payback, or shall we, economic arguments work in favour of RE, BEV's, insulation etc etc, so even if some folk focus only the economic side, then we still win.

In fact I'll go further, I really didn't think 'we' would win* when arguing for the 'real' costs of RE v's status quo, but now I'm certain we'll win thanks to the 800lb economics gorilla swapping sides.

*Win is itself an argumentative result. What we are really aiming for, with the Paris Accord for example, is to lose less bigly. A smaller loss than would otherwise be suffered is all we can now focus on when fighting for a win.

I'm not convinced, especially with the rise of Trump and others who are pushing a climate change denial program based on an argument that we pay more for Green energy, and who are gaining traction with this argument.

I watched Cowspiracy last night and even environmentalist like Greenpeace are refusing to tackle the World's biggest polluter - the livestock industry - because of fear f losing corporate sponsorship and getting dragged through the courts by the huge meat industry lobby groups. Livestock farming and it's associated problem with water usage, pollution from their feces creating dead zones in lakes and seas, use of land for growing their feed, destruction of the rainforests to allow them graze is destroying the planet yet everyone conspires to ignore it.

Instead we are shepherded to look at 'fixes' like installing renewables, when the main problem goes unchecked.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    That 800lb economics gorilla is busy, busy, busy:

Onshore wind farms in UK could cut £50 a year off energy bills
    A boom in new onshore wind projects could also cut energy bills by £50 a year compared to a high-gas energy mix according to new research commissioned by RenewableUK, the trade body.
    Onshore wind is expected to be cheaper than gas-generated electricity because of plummeting turbine technology costs and the rising cost of carbon emissions, according to the report.

So on-shore wind is cheaper, popular, fast, job creative, so decision made then ....
    “It is simply economically illiterate not to go for onshore wind in a big way. The government should remove their barriers to onshore wind and engage communities to get it built,” he said.

...... ahhhh government v's economic literacy ...... now I see the problem. ;)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback