Carers/Disability benefits advice

Options
Hi.

My 8 year old Daughter is due an operation next week meaning she will be off school until the start of term in Jan next year.

As she is at home and will be in a cast she requires round the clock care. I work full time so Monday to Friday my wife will be essentially her carer.

My wife currently doesnt have a job but some jobs have recently been posted that she would have gone for but cant because of our daughters needs.

Can anyone please advise on if there are any short term benefits we can apply for while we acting as her carers as well as parents?

Thank

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Carer's Allowance is only payable if you child is receiving DLA (Disability Living Allowance) at mid/high rate care.

DLA is only available for your child if she has had difficulties for at least 3 months and expect them to last for at least 6 months.

https://www.gov.uk/disability-living-allowance-children/eligibility

Have you checked to see that you are claiming all the benefits that you are entitled to at the moment?

Use a benefit calculator - https://www.entitledto.co.uk

Hope the operation goes well and your daughter recovers quickly.
  • longylong
    Options
    Thank you.

We have tried a few times for DLA but have been rejected at the moment she gets no benefits.

It seems so unfair that their isn't any benefit for this sort of thing.

Jobs that fit in around school hours/holidays are so hard to come by in our area and now two have come up that would be suitable and she cant apply because our daughter needs looking after until January.

I really can't believe you have to just fend yourself because its not long term even though its cost us the chance of my wife applying for two jobs.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But it may be that even of your wife applied for the 2 jobs she may not have been successful in getting them.

Your wife is not working at the moment so you must be 'fending for yourself' now. I don't understand why would you suddenly expect benefits to be paid because your child is unable to go to school.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    longylong wrote: »
    Hi.

My 8 year old Daughter is due an operation next week meaning she will be off school until the start of term in Jan next year.

As she is at home and will be in a cast she requires round the clock care. I work full time so Monday to Friday my wife will be essentially her carer.

My wife currently doesnt have a job but some jobs have recently been posted that she would have gone for but cant because of our daughters needs.

Can anyone please advise on if there are any short term benefits we can apply for while we acting as her carers as well as parents?

Thank

Although your daughter needs care whilst you are at work, there is nothing to stop you wife applying for evening and weekend jobs. There are plenty available in the build up to Christmas. Most areas have few jobs that fit in with school hours. I hope that the opration goes well for your daughter.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Our grandson goes to before (8am) and after (till 6pm) club at his school so his mum can work full time, it cost £60 a week but means she can work full time.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 October 2019 at 10:36PM
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    Our grandson goes to before (8am) and after (till 6pm) club at his school so his mum can work full time, it cost £60 a week but means she can work full time.

There are quite a few outside school clubs like that, but as the OP's daughter will not be at school at all I can't see how these clubs can help in the short term.

OP! This is not my area at all, but I understand that benefits are usually to top up lost or low income. As your wife was not working, and cannot now work day times until next January nothing has changed. You haven't lost any income that will need replacing . However, this is a great time of year for short term jobs to tide her over, look at weekend or evening work when you are home to take over the caring role
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Andrew1974
    Options
    I dont mind some stuff. The 8 year old daugher will be in a cast? Requiring round the clock care? Sorry but whilst I wish the daugher well, with the cast an all, lets all claim disability benefits.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    There are quite a few outside school clubs like that, but as the OP's daughter will not be at school at all I can't see how these clubs can help in the short term.

OP! This is not my area at all, but I understand that benefits are usually to top up lost or low income. As your wife was not working, and cannot now work day times until next January nothing has changed. You haven't lost any income that will need replacing . However, this is a great time of year for short term jobs to tide her over, look at weekend or evening work when you are home to take over the caring role

My point was for when she returns to school its not impossible for the mum to work full time, as she will be going back to school after xmas theres nothing like forward planning.
    As to the benefits question there is no change in income so no additional benefits to those that might already be being claimed.
  • longylong
    Options
    Andrew1974 wrote: »
    I dont mind some stuff. The 8 year old daugher will be in a cast? Requiring round the clock care? Sorry but whilst I wish the daugher well, with the cast an all, lets all claim disability benefits.

I dont really understand what your getting at sorry, Not very well written
  • longylong
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I must admit I had not really looked at it from the point of view that we are no worse off.

My wife has had jobs in the past but has had to give them up due to our daughters previous operations but as she was younger and not obliged to go to school and the nursery she was in did not want to take her

The DLA we have applied for but been refused were to help cover costs of activities that are great for her condition but very costly to pay for. Horse riding and hydrotherapy being the two main ones.

Anyway thanks again for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport