PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Although just me I still like a roast dinner some Sundays. I bought a leg of lamb ages ago on special offer- boned it and portioned into three small rolled joints and a lamb shank (thanks YouTube). Roasting one today for Sunday dinner, leftovers for sandwiches during the week or I might make mash to go with the roast and make enough to have shepherd's pie tomorrow. Do you still make a roast dinner when cooking for one?
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I too love my roast Sunday dinner. I used to just make four dinners and plate them up putting 3 in freezer. Now my SO is here weekends, its dinner for 2 and use up the rest over 3 days.

Today is

Pork Week
    Sunday Lunch Roast Pork, mash, veg
    Cold meat,bubble and squeek, pickled beetroot.
    Sweet n sour pork
    Pork apple and onion Pie.

I am finding this an easy way to meal plan as it only leaves another 3 days to plan for. I have a plan for Beef week, Chicken week, Gammon week, Lamb week etc.
    Slimming World at target
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »
    Although just me I still like a roast dinner some Sundays. I bought a leg of lamb ages ago on special offer- boned it and portioned into three small rolled joints and a lamb shank (thanks YouTube). Roasting one today for Sunday dinner, leftovers for sandwiches during the week or I might make mash to go with the roast and make enough to have shepherd's pie tomorrow. Do you still make a roast dinner when cooking for one?

When I was cooking for two I used to buy a large joint of meat as I think the quality is better and in the end it works out to be more economical.

I cooked it. When it was cold I sliced it and froze it in portions wrapped in foil.. I did the same for roast potatoes and yorkies.

For weeks then I only had to pop a foil packet of meat, a few potatoes and a couple of yorkies in the oven, do whatever veg we were having and in 30 minutes had a roast dinner.
    I used to get a different meat at the beginning of the month so we eventually had a choice of meats and as one sort ran out I wold buy another joint.

It worked for me. I intend to do the same when catering for just me.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • caronc
    Forumite
    meg72 wrote: »
    I too love my roast Sunday dinner. I used to just make four dinners and plate them up putting 3 in freezer. Now my SO is here weekends, its dinner for 2 and use up the rest over 3 days.

Today is

Pork Week
    Sunday Lunch Roast Pork, mash, veg
    Cold meat,bubble and squeek, pickled beetroot.
    Sweet n sour pork
    Pork apple and onion Pie.

I am finding this an easy way to meal plan as it only leaves another 3 days to plan for. I have a plan for Beef week, Chicken week, Gammon week, Lamb week etc.
    Like your thinking :) can't beat a roast
  • caronc
    Forumite
    monnagran wrote: »
    When I was cooking for two I used to buy a large joint of meat as I think the quality is better and in the end it works out to be more economical.

I cooked it. When it was cold I sliced it and froze it in portions wrapped in foil.. I did the same for roast potatoes and yorkies.

For weeks then I only had to pop a foil packet of meat, a few potatoes and a couple of yorkies in the oven, do whatever veg we were having and in 30 minutes had a roast dinner.
    I used to get a different meat at the beginning of the month so we eventually had a choice of meats and as one sort ran out I wold buy another joint.

It worked for me. I intend to do the same when catering for just me.

x
    Totally agree re buying bigger joints both for quality and value. Do similiar sometimes or split up the joint - I tend to do always freeze lamb fresh as do like a lamb curry and cheaper than buying the diced stuff
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »

Good thread I have been living single for many years now so am well used to cooking for myself and wont compromise just because there is bound to be left overs. Most Sundays I cook myself a dinner unless its pub day with friends so I have a freezer packed with meats, roast potatoes, veg. Inevitably there are left overs and in fact I tend to cook for this as its not sensible to put the oven on for one roast potato so I cook 20 and freeze the extra

If you like cucumber you may like this which is my go to when I have a spare ...goes lovely with cold meats and cheese

Cucumber and Onion Pickle

My frustration is when I don't feel I can make something like a big steak pie or lasagne that i see on my favourite cooking programmes due to the amount that will be left.

Beef and ham dinner for me with roast pots sprouts and leeks all of course freezer left overs from Christmas :D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    monnagran wrote: »
    Talking of celery, does anyone remember the celery in the good old days? I think it was grown with a great dressing of soot because it always had to be well scrubbed. The best bit was the 'stump.' We used to fight over the stump. There doesn't seem to be a stump these days, just pretty stringy sticks.
    x

My bold, the soot was to stop slugs and get rid of it from chimney sweepings, never really worked, always had a slug hidden there somwhere :eek:
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Forumite
    Nelski wrote: »
    Good thread I have been living single for many years now so am well used to cooking for myself and wont compromise just because there is bound to be left overs. Most Sundays I cook myself a dinner unless its pub day with friends so I have a freezer packed with meats, roast potatoes, veg. Inevitably there are left overs and in fact I tend to cook for this as its not sensible to put the oven on for one roast potato so I cook 20 and freeze the extra

If you like cucumber you may like this which is my go to when I have a spare ...goes lovely with cold meats and cheese

Cucumber and Onion Pickle

My frustration is when I don't feel I can make something like a big steak pie or lasagne that i see on my favourite cooking programmes due to the amount that will be left.

Beef and ham dinner for me with roast pots sprouts and leeks all of course freezer left overs from Christmas :D
    Thanks for the pickle recipe. I do make lasagne, steak pies etc. but make them up in individual sizes, I use the wee foil trays with lids that you can get in supermarkets and pound shops. Agree re batch cooking things like roas:)ties no point in cooking one or two
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Monnagran I'm so pleased the nut loaf goes down well. I adapted it from a Linda McC recipe; the original has a fancy filling in the middle which wouldn't work for freezing, and it's actually listed as a recipe for party food.

Nelski that cucumber and onion recipe looks interesting; quite often I get three cucumbers for £1 at the F&V market stall; I sometimes make raita with one of them.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Monnagran I'm so pleased the nut loaf goes down well. I adapted it from a Linda McC recipe; the original has a fancy filling in the middle which wouldn't work for freezing, and it's actually listed as a recipe for party food.

Nelski that cucumber and onion recipe looks interesting; quite often I get three cucumbers for £1 at the F&V market stall; I sometimes make raita with one of them.

Would love the recipe for your nut loaf f you get the time to post please. I am trying to put together a collection for a veggie DGD off to Uni this year.
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport