Right to NHS treatment 18 weeks (fertility clinic)

Comments

• poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That will make it 26 weeks from referral until treatment simply due to the GP not ordering bloods
    The problem is, the hospital will count the original referral as being rejected as the necessary accompanying information was not provided. So they will ask the GP for a new referral after the bloods are done, which will reset the clock
    poppy10
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The 18 weeks should be up to first meaning full treatment. However the clock can be stopped. So needing missed bloods - loosing weight. Quitting smoking etc can all stop the clock on the 18 week wait.

It is frustrating. It it probably won't be the last 'slow stage' that you have on this journey. It is probably trying to get Used to letting frustrations wash over you now.

Good luck on the rest of the rollercoaster.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • I sympathise, because it's easy to panic when you feel time could be short and you want to be pregnant Right Now - but would also gently remind you that a lot of Trusts/Commissioning Groups are withdrawing funding for fertility treatments at present or restricting them to just one try. You are still fortunate enough to get a referral and appointment in the first place for free treatment (well, other than prescriptions you get from the pharmacist).

Good luck but, please, try and not panic/get angry about a few weeks here and there.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why would the NHS pay for private blood tests? Dealing with the NHS is a stress-inducing nightmare at the best of times, but that's what you get if you want free (or paid for by the state) treatment.

I don't know about you but I pay into the NHS every month & have done for a long time, it's not free & the state aren't paying for me.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    I don't know about you but I pay into the NHS every month & have done for a long time, it's not free & the state aren't paying for me.

Yes but fertility treatment isn't going to be high up on the list of priorities when it comes to funding. Being unable to conceive isn't life-threatening. Personally, in these times of limited NHS funds, I don't think it should be funded at all, but I appreciate others opinions may differ.
  • DinkyLass
    DinkyLass Posts: 45 Forumite
    The whole fertility journey is a long and frustrating one.

My own personal journey with PCOS (partnered with endometriosis and my Husband having a low count) has spanned over a number of years and ended with me and my Husband walking away from the whole thing and embracing a life without children (not as scary as it sounds!).

The best advice I can give is don't let the consultants fob you off, but at the same time, stay calm and make sure you're looking after yourself emotionally and physically as it will make things easier. Look into natural remedies to try and stimulate OV if that's an option....I found losing weight and doing more exercise took my cycles from non-existent, to 'every now and again' if I was lucky! Oh, and use online support forums, they can be a god-send when you're struggling.
    Most of all though, just be there for each other and make the most of the time you do have when it's just the two of you.

Good luck!

Mortgage free in Feb 2028!
  • In my experience GPs know very little about fertility treatment. Mine has referred me and I have an appointment for next month, but I already know from my own research that I am too old for the NHS to help me. I'm 39 and apparently treatment has to be started by your 40th birthday to qualify in Northern Ireland...and the waiting list is at least 12 months from your initial appointment. I just wish the doctor had told me this sooner as I first went a couple of years ago to discuss the issue.

In addition, he told me that I couldn't be referred until my husband had the results of his sperm test...but I insisted on being referred and my husband got his Dr to refer him for tests at the same time...only for the hospital to also get a referral from the fertility clinic which has confused things and made the wait for the results even longer.

I understand your frustration but I think this isn't going to be a quick process for either of us. Good luck!
  • Kim_kim wrote: »

It's communal health insurance, administered by the state. We all pay in, we all take out. It clearly isn't working as well as they thought it would when they dreamed up the idea, but that's another discussion for another thread.
    It is not because things are difficult that we dare not venture
    It is because we dare not venture that they are difficult

SENECA
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bap98189 wrote: »
    Yes but fertility treatment isn't going to be high up on the list of priorities when it comes to funding. Being unable to conceive isn't life-threatening. Personally, in these times of limited NHS funds, I don't think it should be funded at all, but I appreciate others opinions may differ.

I didn't mention priorities. I wouldn't class it as vital medical treatment either.
    But my point is the NHS is not free.
  • mattpaint
    mattpaint Posts: 294 Forumite
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    I didn't mention priorities. I wouldn't class it as vital medical treatment either.
    But my point is the NHS is not free.

For many it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family