Interview outfit?!

Options
13»

Comments

• divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I interview in my current job and have to say women don't wear suits. I think out of the 50+ interviewees I saw last year only 1 woman wore a suit. Smart separates that you would wear in the workplace on a day to day basis and being clean and tidy are all that is needed in my eyes. I say to my teenager when she goes for an interview always have clean nails as well as clean everything else, I always always spot dirty nails and it makes me think bad things about your hygiene.
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    This is a really interesting read! I always wear a suit to interviews (38yr old female), and whenever I see other candidates they are in suits too.
  • dcouponzzzz
    dcouponzzzz Posts: 450 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you google interview techniques and dress code, you'll find that dressing smart but in a way that doesn't draw attention to the way you've dressed is best. No bright colours or ostentatious jewelry etc. Men are generally advised to wear grey/black suits with white/light blue shirt and a block coloured tie (navy blue).

Better to turn up in a suit (for men) and take your jacket/tie off than turn up under-dressed! I wouldn't know how to transfer this advice to women sorry :)
    Started 07/15. Car finance £6951 , Mortgage: 261k - Savings: £0! Home improvements are expensive
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I feel a suit might be a bit old fashioned and rigid but I do want to make an effort. I guess I could wear the suit into the room then take off the jacket to compromise?!
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have worn a trouser suit (10 years ago) to an interview. It wasn't a dark colour - was dusky lilac. Not sure I'd wear it now though. Last few interviews I've been for I've worn a black shift dress and matching jacket. The dress has a detailed (but high) neckline, so no jewellery needed. I've worn it with tights and smart heels.

I think it can depend on how formal the employer/sector is though. I worked in insurance for a while, and now work at a college, and the college is less formal I would say.

Whatever you do, make sure you feel comfortable and confident.
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For the role you describe, I'd go smart trousers / skirt and shirt / very smart top (not just 'nice', it does need to be smart). And wear a good coat / jacket, and shoes - nothing scruffy or casual! Having said that, if you turned up in a suit I'd probably think you were trying to make a good impression, but I wouldn't need it to feel you were professional.

Best of luck!
    KiKi
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tea_lover wrote: »
    This is a really interesting read! I always wear a suit to interviews (38yr old female), and whenever I see other candidates they are in suits too.
    I think it must depend on the sector then.
    lesley74 wrote: »
    I think it can depend on how formal the employer/sector is though. I worked in insurance for a while, and now work at a college, and the college is less formal I would say.
    Oh yes! DH used to work in insurance: initially it was OK to wear smart trousers and a sports jacket rather than a suit, but woe betide you if you forgot to wear your tie! There was an office tie on the coatrack which he sometimes forgot to leave behind. When he went on any residential training courses at their training centre, there was a reminder that 'a certain standard of dress is expected in the insurance industry' and the chaps were expected to wear a lounge suit for the evening meal, and ladies 'a costume'. Not that it was relevant but we worked out it meant a suit or dress and jacket.

meanwhile I was working at the local poly, in casual trousers, skirts with no tights in the summer, and t-shirts ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport