Counter offer - what is realistic?

Options
2»

Comments

• ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    tea_lover wrote: »
    There are other ways to interpret that - maybe don't count your chickens about an offer from the new place.

This is a fair point. I interviewed someone the other day who wouldn't stop talking. As I had already decided he was not going to get an offer I said something very similar just because I didn't want to waste any more time on him.
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    I was with you till I got to the working from home three days a week and then the move my desk. I rolled my eyes hard at this. How old are you - 12? Do you want to sit next to your bestie as well?

I think you'll be luck if they offer to match the salary of the new job. Have to say though, I agreed with MEM62. If you came to me with those demands I'd shake your hand and wish you luck in your new venture.

I wouldnt im afraid to say..it would be a "Hold on a minute whilst i get my Tena lady pad...i can feel a bout of uncontrolled laughed coming and a little bit of wee coming".

Just because WE love ourselves don't mean THEY love us as much.:eek:
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your list is too long and contains far too many requests.

I think you need to focus on one or two things that are the most important to you, and ask for those.

The request for a 3 month pay-off if you resign because the employer didn't deliver sounds extremely unreasonable to me. It implies a lack of trust in your employer delivering on their promises which will get their backs up. I would forget about that one.

3 days a week working from home also sounds pretty extreme. I suppose that can work for some jobs where you are working alone and don't need to interact with colleagues but I think those are fairly rare. WFH for most of the week doesn't sound consistent with your desire to move into a business development role, or your desire to lead the marketing function.
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    • Salary - match new job offer + £3k - might be pushing it here with an extra 3k
    • Working from home - Set-up the means to work from home within 3 months, and to then allow WFH for up to 3 days a week (I feel like I'm actually doing them a favour with this one, as it's inevitable with the cost of commuting and the growth of the company that they'll have to do this for everyone). - unless you have a job that specifies remote working you're going to be hard pressed to justify spending more than 50% of your time working from home!
    • Paid holiday - match offer - fair enough
    • New job title
    • Formal commitment that a) I lead the new system, and b) My desk is moved to a different location within the building, on the basis that the new system constitutes a new business operation - this bit is odd. why do you need to move your desk? formal commitment on what they have indicated to you before yes sure, but the second part just seems self indulgent, imo. is there business justification to move you? i doubt it.
    • Formal commitment that after 18 months, that I join the business development team with a view to leading marketing in the long term. - this is another change/promotion that you would have to earn. at best they should offer a consideration. what if you stop performing/they find out you can't do that job?
    • If they fail to uphold any these these conditions, I can terminate employment with a 3 month pay-off - you should be able to terminate as every other employee in the company. they have zero reason to give you special treatment on this.
    • If I leave for any reason (other than health related) within 18 months, I must serve a notice period of 12 weeks. After the 18 months, this period will revert back to the standard scale of notice period. - is your normal notice period shorter or longer than 12 weeks? will this benefit them too?

OP, consider how it will look to other employees if they see you using your potential job offer as a bargaining chip to get all of these demands. they will all do the same. unless you are a CEO or founder, you are ultimately expendable (and then even then you could argue they are too!) so i would be very surprised if you get half of these conditions met.

and what's to stop you doing the same in 18 months after they have invested all of this money, time, office space on you? six months spent training someone up who won't demand quite so much would seem like a safer investment.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • jbond
    jbond Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tea_lover wrote: »
    There are other ways to interpret that - maybe don't count your chickens about an offer from the new place.

Yes, I thought that was interestingly worded!
    Why did they HAVE to tell you?
    They don't HAVE to tell you anything!

You can never fully gauge what a potential new employer is thinking, even though you might feel it went well. Not saying you won't get the job, but DON'T say anything to the current boss until you know.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    I think that list is rediculous - far too many demands and most of them unreasonable on their own, let alone when added to a huge list.

If you worked for me I would send you packing. No-one is actually irreplaceable, regardless of the high regard you think you are held in.

Have you even been given the offer yet? seems like you jumped the gun already...
    Thinking critically since 1996....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport