Debt support trust

About a week ago I put our figures into a calculator on the debt trust website. I had forgotten about but they just called me!

They are linked to Gregory Penington I think. A debt advisor offered to talk to me and go through my concerns. I explained that we were in a lot of debt but that we were able to service it and overpay. She explained that a formal solution would not be needed for us as it would ruin our credit rating unnecessarily. She asked me why I was so concerned about the debt if I was able to pay and overpay? It really made me think about how I have been beating myself up.

I asked her how common our debt level is. She explained that she hears these types of figures everyday and often much higher, up into the £100K's. She explained that many many people owe similar levels to us and that it is just not talked about. Apparently our debt in relation to our income is not unusual! She said that the level of debt is not as important as the persons ability to repay it.
These conversations do make me feel a little better about things.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Just remember these companies charge for there services, and in my opinion, tend to make your financial situation a good deal worse because of this.

All formal debt solutions have fees associated with them, bankruptcy and DRO have fixed fees, but IVA practitioners can charge what they like.

There debt management fees are around the 30% mark, after an initial "deposit", i have never found taking advice from these companies to be beneficial, as they always have an agenda.

Much better to take advice from one of the debt charities, or better still, National Debtline, as they are not in the business of selling you anything.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • worriedDan
    worriedDan Posts: 262 Forumite
    Hi Sourcrates,

To be fair, the advisor did say straight away that a formal solution would not be appropriate and yet she still took 10 minutes to talk to me about my situation. If I did need a formal solution I would probably go via stepchange.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2017 at 1:13PM
    Hi Dan

The level of your debt isn’t the only thing to consider. It’s more important to think about your debt level compared to your income, and whether you can afford to pay the contractual payments each month. In your case you can afford to overpay your debts, which is great.

For someone on JSA a debt of £1,000 might seem very difficult to deal with, so it’s all relative.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • What sourcrates says . :)
    Forgive me for asking Dan , but I was under the impression that you were beginning to get an grip on the situation . You seemed to more or less thrash out the issues with your other half , and vowed not to discuss it further with her. That seemed to me to be a positive step in the right direction .

I'm trying to understand what's changed since then .
    I know I go on a bit in my thread , which you kindly contributed to.

All I can say at this stage , is that you need to have some sort of plan ( I e a direct debit to stepchange / payplan etc) . Do not use any of the others .
    Then just commit yourself to that by obligating your regular direct debits . Hopefully build up an emergency fund etc.
    After that , stop worrying or your health and wellbeing will suffer.

Wishing you all the best
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport