Self help thread. I am a widow coping getting on with it

Comments

• jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks Elona. I will get the small one which will be sufficient for me - even if I do a larger amount of Bolognese sauce etc to freeze in portions.
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jaybee

I have just had a couple of low fat sausages, a potato cut in chips and asparagus cooked in the actifry so it was low fat. A lamb stew with masses of veg, a can of chopped tomatoes, a little stock and a tin of canellini beans has just gone in the pressure cooker and I want to cook it a lot longer than suggested so it gets nearer to a bone broth.

Once I am confident in what I am doing I want to use some favourite recipes that dds love in the cooker as well as the bone broth that I want to be able to make without ordinary pans burning dry and the kitchen full of steam.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Looking back I wish we had really downsized while there were two of us, easier to move stuff with two. I have a mental battle on my hands at the moment and am using the MK thread constantly. Then again we had what we had, for two people who each had hobbies.

I have managed to remove a lot but am still in posession of `stuff` for 1+++ How difficult it is to move and lift for weaker women, personally down from 5 to 2 and now 1. So today, I hope I come to terms with really downsizing ie keeping stuff for one with visitors from time to time. I am going to re-start in the kitchen today. Have been through it twice but I am going to try very very hard to think with a one person hat now

My house, eco, easy to run, cosy. all rooms used. 4 beds, snug, study, utility, kitchen/dining/living all one open space, hall. Outside tiered easy garden, large outbuilding, garage/workshop. I would like to go back to 3 bed, get a good conservatory, workshop/garage. Sigh, it is hard doing this on my own but something I need to do, to get to the next stage
  • jaybee
    Since I couldn't get to sleepless night I spent the time usefully researching the King Pro as well as recipes and so on! Now I have decided that I need to go to a shop and see the sizes for real. In theory the small one should be fine for me . . . but the bigger one has more functions. Decisions decisions!

Kittie - I so understand the problem with reducing *stuff*. Part of the problem (especially with kitchen stuff) is that there will always be the occasion when larger pans etc are needed. Over the years I have accumulated a lot of things that I really don't need any more except for when I might need them!!

I think I have always had a problem differentiating *want* and *need* and can quite easily justify anything if I want it enough! You would thing I would have learnt by now!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    jaybee, tricky decisions. I had a large rice cooker, expensive but cooked other items and had a timer but cooking food for one in this did not work, dd had it and I bought a small one for 1-2 people. This little pot kept me going for months and I use it often still. Pans, I have given away one large casserole and one large frying pan and one very large pressure cooker and that is all. I still have lots of pans and 2 pressure cookers and will keep them all, the pans and casseroles are all le creuset, the heavy ones and tri ply. It took me a lifetime to get such good pans and I do use them, the big ones only for big casseroles and whole chicken etc but I like them all and they are staying.

Bakeware was relatively easy, I decided that I did not need what went yesterday. In the months past I have got rid of spare rolling pins, graters etc and all my crockery is down to 6 or 4 and only one set, jamie oliver white. Glasses went, decanter went, drinks went. I still have more than just basics but, for now am happy with what I have kept and best of all, I have empty shelves in my cupboards

For me now, it is about preparing the foundations for what comes next. It keeps me busy and I see a good result and that makes me happy
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Jaybee I recently got rid of some of my big pans, I hadn't used them in ages, and have an electric veg steamer, which does many things at once. Which I use for Xmas etc.
    I kept a large and small fry pan, 2 small saucepans and a milk pan plus 1 medium pot with metal handles that can be used on top or in the oven, I use this for soups mainly.
    I catered for 13 at Xmas with those.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • jaybee
    Kittie - I think we share the same kitchen! Over the years I have amassed many Le Creuset items and their saucepans as well. The very large casserole and saut! pan I have given away. The shallow Le Creuset dishes are useful and I am keeping them.

Many roasting tins have gone - creating space so that I can actually access those that are left.

Bakieware is rather more different for me though. I do love making cakes but, of course, that means eating them too which is not such a good idea. I have cake tins in pretty much any size as well as a few Bundt tins (which do take up a lot of space). I will not get rid of my KitchenAid mixer and food processor.

I am considering getting a smaller bread maker. Mine is Panasonic and, again, takes up quite a bit of room. My kitchen is not large so every bit of space has to earn its keep! I don’t eat as much bread nowadays either.

I also have a KitchenAid coffee grinder . . . . . and I don’t drink coffee!!!! It seems silly to hang on to it for the rare occasion when someone may visit - I could easily get one-cup filters for those times. My OH used to drink a lot of coffee.

Logic is telling me that the small Pressure King Pro would be fine for me most of the time.

Wort - I have a two tier steamer which I use a lot. It is one that goes on the hob (not an electric one). Two frying pans are useful and will stay. The wok will go now I think - it takes up too much room and I haven’t used for well over a year!

What I have to do is keep away from kitchen shops like Lakeland. I also have the wonderful Harts of Stur only a 40 minute drive away. All too tempting for a gadget freak like me!!!
  • poppy811
    poppy811 Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not a good day today as it would have been my wedding anniversary. Tearful and no energy. I know it will pass but it is the violence of the grief that frightens me. I need a focus to my life, just don't know what.
  • jaybee
    Poppy811 - these days are sooo hard to get through.

I seem to keep looking back at last year's calendar and seeing what was happening on various days and re-living them all.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Poppy sending you a hug. :grouphug:
    The grief sometimes whacks you in the face doesn't it.
    I hope the day passes quickly for you.
    Much love x
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback