Thames Water Change of account number

HI there, this is odd for me at least. I got a 'Your Instalment payments are not up to date' letter from Thames Water for November. I checked my bank account and as I thought the regular monthly standing order is going out & had done so monthly for this year as in previous years going back decades with no issue.
I then checked that I was still paying into the right account & reference number, that was correct too.. Then I looked more carefully at their notice / letter and saw that they had a differerent account number for me than had been sent in the Annual bill, it seems that there had been an account number change recently but without notice to me!
Now I'm taking time to write to them, get a phone call and an email from them, they request I prove that the payment were made by for example submitting my bank statement while all the time they hold the money somewhere!
Has anyone else met such a topsy turvy situation and have you got any advice for them to pull their digit out?
best wishes.

Comments

• Uxb1
    Uxb1 Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Re the account number change...yes got an email from them saying I needed to re-register as they were changing account numbers
    See thread below:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6060926
    In my case the email was received on 14th October
    It was entitled "Re-register your online account now"
    The sender was online@thameswater.co.uk with the name "Thames Water"
    It quoted my new account number.

Unfortunately
    If you were paying via standing order rather than direct debit, as with all standing orders it is up to the sender to ensure the details are right.

The payments will be in some suspense account somewhere at TW unallocated.
    You just need to get them to find it.....
  • Total chaos at Thames Water - first  I had a letter telling me I had moved (I hadn't), but with a different customer number; I tried calling - 30 mins on hold, I tried leaving an e-mail message - 3 weeks no response except an automated acknowledgement. Then yesterday a call to say I owed them for nearly two years unpaid bills - it seems the direct debit stopped working in 2018 but they kept sending "for information only" bills. I tried setting up a new DD with the new customer number, but their system did not recognise it; only the old number!
    A complete shambles. I have e-mailed their MD of Customer Service - Kelly Macfarlane to see if I can get a response from her.
  • HonestJohn
    HonestJohn Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    They are useless. When I changed to the new account they did not send me a bill notification. Funnily though they  managed to send a reminder. When I tried to pay with my online bank, they were not aware of the new 12 digit account numbers so I could not set up a payment. All fixed now though. 
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure