Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Comments

• Ads1982
    Ads1982 Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 1 January 2015 at 7:48PM
    I recently took the following deal with Talk Talk when switching from BT. Thought it was quite a good deal and it seems they are running a similar offer now.

Fibre - 18 month contract £16.70 a month line rental + £5 a month for first 12 months then £10 a month for final six months. Broadband free for 12 months then £3.50 for final six months. £6 router delivery fee.

I make the 18 month total for this to be £447.60

At the time of signing up I qualified for £90 cashback through quidco and a £100 Love2Shop voucher. This brings the total for 18 months fibre down to £257.60. Could also save approximately £20 on this if I paid the line rental up front this year, but that doesn't really suit circumstances at the moment.

The best price BT offered me for unlimited 38mb was £15.50 + £16.99 a month line rental (12 month contract) meaning that would have cost me £389.88 for a year or £584.82 over 18 months (if I'd managed to keep the deal beyond 12 months.

Talk Talk was installed a few days ago and so far I am happy with them.
  • Ads1982 wrote: »
    Talk Talk was installed a few days ago and so far I am happy with them.

What upload and download speeds do you get?
  • Ads1982
    Ads1982 Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    anactuary wrote: »
    What upload and download speeds do you get?

Just done one of those online checks now.

Download speed - 37.09mbps
    Upload speed - 1.85mbps

I know the upload speed is slower than BT, but I've noticed no performance difference from what I use the net for - watching you tube videos, web browsing, the odd game of PS3 online and so on.
  • afmfifgh
    afmfifgh Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I and my parents were both recently switched from TalkTalk to BT and our speed has slightly more than halved since moving to BT. We live in a rural location so are now lucky to get 2mbs whereas before we could get over 4mbs.

My sister last week moved in close by and I suggested she go for TalkTalk given the poor speeds BT gave. She gets just over 4mbs.

Rather annoying but can live with it but after the deal is over we will be looking to go back to TalkTalk.

You live and learn.
  • Hello

I currently have:

talk talk for landline/broadband paid 1 year in advance and 2 mobiles on the talktalk £3.5 a month sim only deal, is there any thing like this out there from other companies? coming to the end of our deal

maybe call talktalk and haggle

many thanks
  • gdmoney
    gdmoney Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I agree with Stuness that the calculations for the EE fibre optic offer are wrong. It isn't £437 for 18 months.

I work out charges as:-
    £9.98 x 6 = £59.88
    £19.95 x 12 = £239.40
    £132 first year line rental
    £94.50 for last 6 months' line rental
    £6 for router
    Total = £531.78

Can an MSE person correct this on the Cheap broadband page?
  • EE
    EE Posts: 305 Organisation Representative
    gdmoney wrote: »
    I agree with Stuness that the calculations for the EE fibre optic offer are wrong. It isn't £437 for 18 months.

I work out charges as:-
    £9.98 x 6 = £59.88
    £19.95 x 12 = £239.40
    £132 first year line rental
    £94.50 for last 6 months' line rental
    £6 for router
    Total = £531.78

Can an MSE person correct this on the Cheap broadband page?

Hi

I do apologise for this. I have raised this with MSE and they are correcting ASAP.

Thanks
    Jade- Representing EE
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of EE. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • When I click on the Plusnet £50 cashback link and start setting up an offer on the Plusnet site, I get broadband at £10 per month (£17.69-£7.69), not the £2.50 per month mentioned here - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#plusnetbb. I do notice that the Plusnet site says FROM £2.50 per month for the broadband whereas MSE is categoric on £2.50 per month. Is the £2.50 price therefore only available in certain areas? If so, the MSE page need to be clearer. Or am I missing something???
  • I wanted to take up the MSE EE £161 unlimited Broadband offer but once I entered post code, I only had the £19.95 plus line rental offer shown. According to the i pop up, this puts me in the 5% where the EE offer is not available and which i find strange. (I'm outside the edge of an urban area - semi-rural and other providers don't have this restriction)

Conversely the PlusNet offer accepts that I'm in it's "90%" reach of the UK population.

I did want to move outside the reaches of BT but seems PlusNet is my 2nd best alternative.

I'd love to know the criteria for the EE coverage and if other people have experienced simialr 'rejection' :(?
  • afmfifgh
    afmfifgh Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nikkas wrote: »
    I'd love to know the criteria for the EE coverage and if other people have experienced simialr 'rejection' :(?

As far as I know it is to do with your local exchange and if it is just a BT exchange or if other providers have their equipment in it. Though I may be wrong. I have a similar issue with my location.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback