Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Comments

• Note that the EE deal of the Amazon voucher now finishes on 23 December, not the 31st:

This offer is valid between 3rd September and 23rd December inclusive.
  • My Sky broadband deal expires mid Jan 2015 and I am thinking of signing up to EE with this deal before the 23rd Dec expiry.

What is the EE broadband service like ?

I've been happy with the Sky speed and reliability but the best deal they can offer me is broadband for free + £16.40 pm line rental which is £196.80 pa, compared to EE's £168 pa + £100 Amazon voucher
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    If I were you I would use the EE deal to negotiate with other suppliers.

TalkTalk seem particularly keen to compete with EE, they had some prepared offer which was about the same as they were offering everyone else, but I escalted and persevered then got the best deal ever.

I pay £2.25 a month (27 ayear) including line rental and I got a free boost so they are effectively paying me to use their service!

They sent me a free TV Box and Powerline adapters too.

I think Plusnet have some movement too, just keep pushing and call back if you get someone who will not budge.

Plusnet do use traffic shaping and fair use policy, I download terabytes and have never had an issue with TalkTalk although their upload speed is dire but if that was important to me I would have to upgrade.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • nqtraderman
    nqtraderman Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 19 December 2014 at 10:12PM
    Thanks, that's good advice. My O2 mobile contract is up for renewal in mid Jan too and I was going to get a Sim from Tesco Mobile but looking at Talk Talk I see they are offering 1/2 price Sim deals.

The drawback is I don't know what Talk Talk mobile coverage is like compared to O2 but I note they do a 1 month contract Sim currently on offer at £5 so it's no big deal to get that and give it a road test before committing to a 12 month Sim contract. Might even ask them to throw that in the package too.

I have just signed up to Sky+ for 12 months a month ago, got all the packages but only because they offered me 75% off to come back to them .. it would be rude not too :)

What boost did you get ?
  • spaceboy
    spaceboy Posts: 1,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm thing of going for the £5 a month (plus £15/month line rental) BT broadband up to 17Mb. Is this a good deal?
  • spaceboy wrote: »
    I'm thing of going for the £5 a month (plus £15/month line rental) BT broadband up to 17Mb. Is this a good deal?
    Not really.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#bundle
  • spaceboy
    But you do get streaming BT Sport with it and it is only a 12 month contract.
    Also there is no traffic shaping.
  • spaceboy wrote: »
    But you do get streaming BT Sport with it and it is only a 12 month contract.
    Also there is no traffic shaping.

Most ADSL broadband contracts are 12m; it's fibre that tends to be 18m. If you like BT Sport, then it clearly has some value to you, but only you know how much.

Look at the 12m cost (5+15)*12 = 240 vs the others on listed on MSE, but clearly cost is not the only factor for everyone. Don't forget to check the cashback sites too.

BT are quite low in the customer service surveys; Plusnet and Sky are near the top, only EE were below BT last time I looked, with TalkTalk somewhere in the middle.
  • spaceboy
    I have heard a lot of people complain about Sky.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    spaceboy wrote: »
    I have heard a lot of people complain about Sky.

You mainly only hear from people with complaints, but on here many of us are very happy with the service and the deals we've managed to make.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback