do you get possessive about your mobile phone

Comments

• jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have nothing to hide. My phone's ancient but the battery in it is brilliant and outlasts everyone elses phones. I often offer it to my sons to take to college, or to my husband if he's going out and their batteries aren't charged, or if their credit is low. My offer is there. The phone is left lying about - anyone can have a gander and see what's on it. More often than not they refuse my offer because my phone is 6 years old and a bit of a brick. :p
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Not only are neither of us secretive about phones, but we have the same model of mobile. Its not uncommon for us to take the ''wrong''phone. Annoying when he grabs mine on a Monday morning, as he's away till Friday, but not the end of the world. also our hotmail accounts are linked and he frequently asks me to deal with his ''social'' email when he's snowed under at work...just going through diaries to accept or turn down invitations, pay memberships to things etc.
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have nothing to hide so i'm completely open with my phone. My OH is always nicking mine to play on while he goes to the loo! (sorry is that TMI??)

My OH on the other hand has, in the past, been very naughty with his phone, texting people behind my back, being so secretive, deleting messages etc. We almost broke up over it to be honest but we're okay now and he's not secretive at all.
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    oh dosent have a phone dosent need one or really want one!

I have a phone its more for emergencies and the odd text i dont use it much. I use mainly the house phone and email.
    :footie:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I have no problems with calls/texts in front of bf. To be honest those who tend to be secretive usually have something to hide.
  • Proc
    Proc Posts: 860 Forumite
    Nah my personal phone is clean so I don't hide anything.

When I'm having my fun and games, I generally use my work phone...which is switched off at night and has a full password protection to turn it on.

So no, I'm not possessive.
  • I'm not really possesive with my phone either. Like everyone else says, I have nothing to hide

Although, I am a terrible lier and when I do have something to hide in my text messages (E.g Texts from friends regarding presents I'm purchasing for my OH) he always seems to know and it's at that moment when he wants to look at my messages! Then I get all defensive because I don't want to ruin the surprise. (but by that time he already knows im planning something!)

I think I set off some sort of radar lol
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    I'm only possessive of my right to basic privacy. The method of contacting me doesn't come into it. It's the intrusion that would be the problem. It's only in my lifetime that women have had property and divorce rights in law so yes, I'm quite fierce about it.

I'd be furious if my hubby had a little nosey round my phone without my express permission. Saying to him that Aunty Edna sent a picture postcard from Skegness and it's there on the coffee table if you want to look is a long way from him daring to pick up and read my letters. I'd be astounded and very angry if he mentioned to me later something that he had picked up from my emails.

I have nothing to hide but if there is something he ought to know about (hospital appointment, the next vet appointment) I'll tell him myself. The state of Aunty Edna's piles is not a vital thing for him to know. I consider myself adult enough to be trusted to behave responsibly so there is no reason for anyone to be checking up on my doings.

My handbag is also sacrosanct and heaven help the husband or child who goes rooting in there - they're liable to find said handbag smacking them around the ear!

Ooh, yes, I would never go in a handbag!!

In fact I hate looking through someone's bag with their permission and will usually pass them the bag if they ask me to grab something from it as I'm closer.

I feel the same about pockets; I will empty them if putting clothes in the wash, but the stuff is just placed on the side as it is - I would never rifle through it.

It's quite sad how suspicious people are tbh.

When did people stop trusting their loved ones, or has it always been that way? It's not hard to see why the divorce rate is so high when there is all this mistrust in relationships.
  • SugarSpun
    SugarSpun Posts: 8,559 Forumite
    I'm incredibly possessive about my Facebook, but that's because we have an ongoing "change the FB status" war and not because I'm hiding something.

My phone, I'm not at all possessive, and my email is strictly off limits only in the couple of months before Christmas and his birthday.

He's similarly open with his stuff, although he has this absolute terror of going into my bag even when I ask him to pass me something out of it.

I'd be furious if I knew he was looking through my phone/email without me knowing because snooping is something completely different from looking for something or checking to see who's calling and would signify that he doesn't trust me - and since I'm not doing anything untoward that would really hurt me. But everyday reasons for checking my phone/email - not a problem at all.
    Organised Birthdays and Christmas: Spend So Far: £193.75; Saved from RRP £963.76
    Three gifts left to buy
  • DeeDee74
    DeeDee74 Posts: 2,941
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ohh anyone can look though my phone im not bothered there's nowt intresting or anything that shouldn't be on there.
    my ex oh used to be glued to his phone, there again when i did get sneek peek at it he had naked pic's on there so im not suprised it was with him 24 7....
    Ignore reality.There's nothing you can do about it.
    I have done reading too!
    personally test's all her own finds
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family