Married Quarters (MQ) Residents

I work for MHS (If you are in Married Quarters in the UK you'll know who we are and what we do) as a Technical Officer , if you have any issues regarding quarters and what MHS should be doing please dont hesitate to contact me.
Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.

Comments

• johng_uk
    johng_uk Posts: 1,960 Forumite
    kitchpoo wrote: »
    I work for MHS (If you are in Married Quarters in the UK you'll know who we are and what we do) as a Technical Officer , if you have any issues regarding quarters and what MHS should be doing please dont hesitate to contact me.

Hi and thanks for opening this thread!
    John :beer:

Life's too short.........
  • Thanks Kitchpoo. We live in married quarters and have found asbestos in our bath & roof! Have phoned to complain and told someone will be out 10-15 days!!! Isn't asbestos illegal?!

• MTW_2
    MTW_2 Posts: 503 Forumite
    Asbestos is very emotive stuff and there are several different types. It can't be used in new builds but it would have been impossible to remove it completely as it was widely used up to about 1970.
    It is still contained in many older buildings and people rub along with it without problem.

It is most dangerous in minute particles (respirable dust) so unless it is breaking up I would not panic to much.

see the link for further info
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Planning/DoingWorkYourself/DG_10022562
  • I understand what you mean MTW, but I would have expected better! Also, if it is now illegal to buy a house with it (I preume ok if buyer is made aware) then I'm angry army have put us here knowing and not said anything!

Mind you I expect anything from them!! LOL:mad:
  • johng_uk
    Thanks Kitchpoo. We live in married quarters and have found asbestos in our bath & roof! Have phoned to complain and told someone will be out 10-15 days!!! Isn't asbestos illegal?!

We were staying at RAF Coltishall a few years back. The strip light in the kitchen went completely, Due to the asbestos in the roof, they had to strap another light fitting onto the fitting that already existed. This was because they couldn't rip the old fitting out due to asbestos!

I think you'll find a lot of the old quarters riddled with this, and yes it is highly dangerous which is why they can't work with it. I think it's only dangerous when converted into particle form - i.e. when it's cut up, sanded etc.

• kitchpoo
    kitchpoo Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    Thanks Kitchpoo. We live in married quarters and have found asbestos in our bath & roof! Have phoned to complain and told someone will be out 10-15 days!!! Isn't asbestos illegal?!

The previous poster did cover most of the issues, but yes, the loft in MQ's should be off limits anyway. Quarters are randomly tested for asbestos content and risk assessed. If it is left alone it poses no risk to occupant. If you have concerns you can ask the helpdesk, or if they raise a survey for a Tech officer, to look on the asbestos register which should denote the grade of asbestos.

If I told you how many things contain asbestos you would be amazed, especially in army quarters.

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • kitchpoo
    I understand what you mean MTW, but I would have expected better! Also, if it is now illegal to buy a house with it (I preume ok if buyer is made aware) then I'm angry army have put us here knowing and not said anything!

Mind you I expect anything from them!! LOL:mad:

This sounds like an education matter for the Housing Officer, On Move-ins with some Housing Officers they inform of the possible Asbestos Content, but some dont. In your housing pack there should be a page describing the potential risks and this should be gone through at hand over by the Housing Officer.

• kitchpoo
    johng_uk wrote: »
    We were staying at RAF Coltishall a few years back. The strip light in the kitchen went completely, Due to the asbestos in the roof, they had to strap another light fitting onto the fitting that already existed. This was because they couldn't rip the old fitting out due to asbestos!

I think you'll find a lot of the old quarters riddled with this, and yes it is highly dangerous which is why they can't work with it. I think it's only dangerous when converted into particle form - i.e. when it's cut up, sanded etc.

My neck of the woods!!

Up to about 2 years ago the Health and Safety Exec treated all asbestos as the most dangerous type, even if its content and risk was low, this was then relaxed to reflect the low content and risk associated with the asbestos grade. On the lowest grade, such as asbestos in artex, it can now be worked on by the standard workforce (and not treated like nuclear waste, occupant move out, taped up, air monitors, full suits, and qualified staff costing £2000 + per ceiling removal!). As long as the correct risk assessment and proceedures are used - it usually involves PVA coating the area, and using like a plastic bubble over the working area. Disposal still has to comply with higher regulations though.

• lopez75
    lopez75 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Hi,
    I want to find out when my bathroom was fitted and kitchen as they are in an awful state. And I would like to know when my MQ was last redecorated. Who do I contact? MHS or the Housing Officer?

Many thanks.
  • johng_uk
    kitchpoo wrote: »
    My neck of the woods!!

Up to about 2 years ago the Health and Safety Exec treated all asbestos as the most dangerous type, even if its content and risk was low, this was then relaxed to reflect the low content and risk associated with the asbestos grade. On the lowest grade, such as asbestos in artex, it can now be worked on by the standard workforce (and not treated like nuclear waste, occupant move out, taped up, air monitors, full suits, and qualified staff costing £2000 + per ceiling removal!). As long as the correct risk assessment and proceedures are used - it usually involves PVA coating the area, and using like a plastic bubble over the working area. Disposal still has to comply with higher regulations though.

We were there from late 2004 - mid 2006 :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family