Comments

• JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 August 2019 at 11:51PM
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Well, although having not read all posts in detail we seem to not have a discussion but a statement ... "Wind farms degrade rapidly" ...

Actually, GA pointed out the content of a report written by a Professor of Economics at Edinburgh University which suggested that degradation of wind farms could be a significant factor and enquired why this isn’t mentioned in discussions more often. He then asked “ This report is a few years old have things gotten better?” That to me sounds very much like the basis for a discussion and indeed it did provoke a discussion.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I guess the real question we should all be asking ourselves is - why would someone post a 2012 report that does not appear to reflect reality, at all, in 2019, on a Green & Ethical Board?

And I thought these boards were about money saving - i.e. practical advice for consumers. Yes I get that discussions will digress and some of the macro issues are of great interest and relevance to money savers BUT why do we keep getting these incessant recurrences of arguments against RE? It's not what this forum is for, it's not relevant and frankly the argument against RE is NEVER going to be won and certainly not going to be persuasive against the great and knowledgable minds on here. So please once and for all can we give it a rest and get back to the purpose of Green and Ethical Money Saving.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GreatApe wrote: »
    So what's the degradation on wind farms per year annualised?

This isn't a trivial questions because those degraded turbines will end up in landfill somewhere probably some poor third world country for some kids to dismantle and recycle what can be salvaged

No, the real questions here are why someone would start a thread based (1) on a 2012 (2) denounced report (3) from an anti-wind organisation (that hides behind a misleading name) (4) on a green and ethical board?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    Actually, GA pointed out the content of a report written by a Professor of Economics at Edinburgh University which suggested that degradation of wind farms could be a significant factor and enquired why this isn’t mentioned in discussions more often. He then asked “ This report is a few years old have things gotten better?” That to me sounds very much like the basis for a discussion and indeed it did provoke a discussion.

Another question, that still lies unanswered, is why you spend all your time defending GA, challenging all and any facts, suggestions, conclusions put forward by RE supporters, and never questioning the outrageous claims made constantly by GA. It's almost like an agenda.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    And I thought these boards were about money saving - i.e. practical advice for consumers. Yes I get that discussions will digress and some of the macro issues are of great interest and relevance to money savers BUT why do we keep getting these incessant recurrences of arguments against RE? It's not what this forum is for, it's not relevant and frankly the argument against RE is NEVER going to be won and certainly not going to be persuasive against the great and knowledgable minds on here. So please once and for all can we give it a rest and get back to the purpose of Green and Ethical Money Saving.

Hiya ET.

Please excuse my recent actions. Myself and many others on here chose the high ground and the ignore function to avoid 'feeding the troll'. However, over the last few months it's become obvious to me (and I hope others) that the joint response has been to (1) start a large number of threads designed to 'knock' RE and (2) to attack the morals and motives of those that chose to exercise the ignore function.

On this occasion I believe the 'don't feed the trolls' position has failed, and as it seems I've been personally targeted, I will pushback against this little campaign ....... albeit, I agree a wasteful shame of time, perpetuated by just two or three individuals, assuming individuality.

• 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    Options
    The subject may be worthy of discussion but, 1961Nick, not the assertion by the original poster, whose aim lies elsewhere. I'm just glad others are prepared to highlight the facts because many of the rest of us can't be *rsed, where this particular poster is concerned.
    My point is that any one of us could have found & read that paper & for that reason it's worthy investigation. The fact that GA is the OP is irrelevant. The title of the thread is merely a summary of the conclusion....which seems fair enough to me.

M & Z have comprehensively debunked the report's conclusions...so job done.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    Because it’s worthy of discussion? It shouldn’t be excluded just because we don’t like the content.

In that case - wind is perfect, faultless, the best thing ever, and will also deliver world peace.

Shall we waste time, threads, energy and patience discussing 'my' inane comments as well?

I would like to issue you a personal (and public) apology however. Until recently I was convinced that you were party to the recent sill games being played out on here, but now, despite us having serious differences over some issues, I'm now almost certain that you are an unwitting victim, who was played ...... just like me.

Please look for the bigger picture, or we will waste time and effort on this for the rest of the year, and advance not one jot.

All the best.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    M & Z have comprehensively debunked the report's conclusions...so job done.

How about the intention behind the thread, have we made any headway there? Perhaps worthy of more consideration than the thread itself?

• pile-o-stone
    pile-o-stone Posts: 396 Forumite
    edited 20 August 2019 at 9:08AM
    Options
    On this occasion I believe the 'don't feed the trolls' position has failed, and as it seems I've been personally targeted, I will pushback against this little campaign ....... albeit, I agree a wasteful shame of time, perpetuated by just two or three individuals, assuming individuality.

Don't feed the trolls is failing because you're doing exactly that Martyn. By arguing back you help them to disrupt the board.

I' say that I'm typical of most people who come to this board. I am interested in Renewables and want to know the latest developments, installations in the industry and also what other like-minded people are doing.

All we see now are a series of provocative posts by perhaps just one individual with multiple accounts, and responses by regulars debunking the spurious arguments. The sad thing is that the troll doesn't read your responses (he's not interested in anything other than disrupting the board) and probably neither do half the board members who scroll past it all in dismay.

The solution is so easy. We all just post renewable news stories, we ignore the postings of the trolls. We have seen it working - the GA username has had lots of his threads fall rapidly down the list with no replies (except his own). This worked so well that he even resorted to bumping up all of his old threads on the board by creating that parody account.

Just stop feeding the troll Mart. You don't need to 'push back', the war is won. The people on this board are here because they are interested in Renewables. They ignore the postings of the trolls and read what they came here for - Green & Ethical news.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    Options
    How about the intention behind the thread, have we made any headway there? Perhaps worthy of more consideration than the thread itself?
    As soon as you do that the posts become personal & the thread degenerates into a slanging match.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure