PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,895 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sayschezza wrote: »
    The glitz and glamour is for me. I was born a peacock.

Yay!! Same here....love me a bit of glitz, glamour and even bling at times. :j The world can be a bleak and drab place - a little sparkle cheers me up!

Chazza shopping has been uneventful the last few days. It's been a case of taking things back for a refund when the item was 'expensive', the shop didn't have a changing room, (Cat's Protection, Martin House grrr), and the garment didn't fit. I rarely go back for a refund, just re-donate, but when something is priced at £5+ I'm not prepared to write that off when I cannot try something on.
  • Mir! wrote: »
    Chazza shopping has been uneventful the last few days. It's been a case of taking things back for a refund when the item was 'expensive', the shop didn't have a changing room, (Cat's Protection, Martin House grrr), and the garment didn't fit. I rarely go back for a refund, just re-donate, but when something is priced at £5+ I'm not prepared to write that off when I cannot try something on.

I find that if a shop doesn't have a changing room, I am likely not going to buy anything. Things often fit me weirdly and I need to try them on, yet I feel so guilty taking them back. :o
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,895 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mir! wrote: »
    Chazza shopping has been uneventful the last few days.

Well, that was tempting fate wasn't it!!

Trundled past Oxfam at lunchtime and spotted a nice looking holdall in the window. I thought it must be 'faux' leather but then I spotted 'Ted Baker' in discrete gold lettering stamped near the top. "Aha" methinks this requires further investigation.....as soon as I picked it up I knew it was a star find. Light navy, gorgeously soft leather with a thick satin lining with a phone pocket and tablet/computer pocket and with a luggage tag and additional long strap. All the usual TB tags etc in the pockets. Oxfam price - £24.99. A quick squiz online shows similar ones selling at around £275! I guess it's another of Ted Baker's donations of last season's stock...this particular branch of Oxfam seems to receive quite a few items from TB. I had to have a proper rootle through purse/wallet/pockets in order to scrape together enough cash to pay for it....for some reason I don't like the idea of using a card in a chazza! Got a long week-end in the Lake District booked so will be perfect for that but in the meantime I'm sitting here sniffing the leather and stroking the buttery softness of my new holdall :):p
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Was very pleased to find a toddler sized hi viz waistcoat in our £1 hospice clearance shop. Wanted one to add to DS birthday present (he was two yesterday) of toy tool box etc.
    It appears to be a 'be safe, be seen' safety freebie sponsored by Ocado but DS won't know that lol
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Anyone got any halo polish

Is that the new range from Baylis and Harding? :A :A :A
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Jewels1207 wrote: »
    Barbour jackets and mulberry handbags??? Seriously? Think I know where I'm headed tomorrow morning although I'd be very surprised if my local charity shops in my town had anything like that.
    I was looking for the game of thrones books maybe I'll see if I can source some cheap ones in there haha.
    My MIL goes into CSs and often picks up decent toys for when all the grandkids come over

Ok, so the trick with those kinds of things is:

1) Persistence
    2) Shop in expensive areas

... like yesterday, for example, I bought a new TopShop black blouse & an almost-new pretty flamingo print blouse both for £3 each from a charity shop just up the road from Sloane Square in London.

I used to shop in Preswich, Cheadle & East Didsbury when I lived in Manchester.

In Edinburgh, the expensive stuff is generally found in Morningside.

And in Aberdeen, the best bargains I’ve found have been in Rosemount.

As awful as it sounds, you’re unlikely to find labelled bargains in an area where the average resident shops in Primark. And people who donate expensive labels won’t venture into areas they don’t normally frequent.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Bought two wasgij jigsaws in a Marie Curie cs shop both £4 each. One still had its selophane wrap on. Will use be brand new one as a Xmas or birthday present.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • kboss2010 wrote: »
    As awful as it sounds, you’re unlikely to find labelled bargains in an area where the average resident shops in Primark. And people who donate expensive labels won’t venture into areas they don’t normally frequent.

And the more organised charity shop chains do move stock between branches.

On the other hand, if you shop in an area where the average charity shop volunteer shops in Primark, you might get an unexpected bargain because the real value hasn't been recognised.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    And the more organised charity shop chains do move stock between branches.

On the other hand, if you shop in an area where the average charity shop volunteer shops in Primark, you might get an unexpected bargain because the real value hasn't been recognised.

Very true.

I don’t tend to shop much in the chains simply because they’re expensive.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • I don't know how to put the quote from someone else but kboss you mention Edinburgh and Aberdeen, any recommendations for Glasgow and the surrounding areas? I'm from just outside Glasgow.

Thanks
    Jewels
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family