Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Comments

• EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I've always objected to the statement that they 'spoil the view', at worse they negatively change the view, for that person, or in my case, positively change the view, but you'd have to be pretty damn close to one before it spoilt (blocked) the view.

But the same 'objectors' viewing a two hundred year old windmill with wooden sails turning would probably say how charming it looked :D
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    Hexane wrote: »
    No, the ongoing discussion(s) were not about the relative emissions impacts of transport versus electric power generation at all. (Interesting point though it may be.)

To be fair pile-o-stone has done a good job of getting back to news while the rest of us squabble but rules is rules otherwise, heaven forbid, someone might post an article like this

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jun/12/ice-age-climate-change-archive?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    I was walking with the dogs in the Poolsbrook Country Park - near Stevely, Derbyshire

Dave F
    That was a long way to come for a dog walk ! You should have dropped in here for a coffee.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    There was something said many times that made me think - they kept referring to the WT's as 'industrializing the countryside'. Covering several square miles with WT's (about 12 I think).

Now, obviously I don't think a few of anything dotted around industrialize the whole area, but then something struck me - The valley in question was beautiful, no doubt about it, and a perfect example of English patchwork quilt farming. But the more I looked and thought, I realised that 0% of what I was looking at was natural, it was all farming fields, hedge rows/fences/walls for containment, some buildings and access roads.

If farming is an industry, then effectively 100% of the ground layout was a direct result, and a necessity to industry.
    This is very true and reminds me of a fascinating vignette in "H is for Hawk" by Helen MacDonald. In which the protagonist meets an elderly couple walking their dog, and stops to chat, as strangers in the countryside often do... but the discussion turns in an unexpected and unwelcome direction. Anyway back on topic...
    ... the support for on-shore wind which started of massive, has only grown over the 6+yrs, whilst the opposition to, which started of small, has only gotten smaller ..... happened as the visual and economic costs of wind farms impacted us for real.

It seems reality, and some peoples 'opinions of reality' might not match exactly.
    Yes I think the more people see of wind turbines the more most of them regard their visual impact as positive or neutral. I first saw large numbers of wind turbines on the hills of northern Spain, from the air (not very environmentally friendly of me), they looked fantastic. Then we began to see the huge ones that tended to spring up near motorways, their appearance tends to be majestic rather than offputting, and I've seen them commented on positively as being landmarks in their own right. More recently I've seen the huge offshore wind farms that are clearly visible from certain traditional seaside resorts (clearly visible because these offshore ones are even bigger) and they detract nothing at all even from such traditional and protected views.

If they built one near my house it would be a significantly nicer addition to the scenery than the residential tower block and electricity pylon that are already visible at a distance from some angles, and I doubt they ever give permission to build them much closer to housing than those already are.
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • EricMears wrote: »
    That was a long way to come for a dog walk ! You should have dropped in here for a coffee.
    Hi, thanks. The next time I'm around in the area I'll drop you a PM and we can meet up.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    This is unfair. The article was used in the context of the already established discussion

AND - more importantly

The two week rule was imposed on us in a (somewhat vain) attempt to stop the trolls. We didn't ask for the rule. And there was no way the posting of this article was trolling. It may be on the wrong side of the rule as written but is in keeping with the spirit of this discussion board.
    Agree with the observation above, but simply adding .... AND - even more importantly, one troll in particular that was deliberately creating disruption at the time under one of his(?) history of profiles ... GreatApe ... no surprise there then!

... odd really, everyone takes a hit so that we can all equally appreciate the value of modern political correctness, inclusiveness & tolerance over old fashioned discussion concepts such as science, logic & credibility ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

Yeah sorry about that. Bit rushed and it wasn’t the best example but it was brief. Here is a paper on house prices which confirms there is an effect. Have a read of that. It would seem counterintuitive for a WT not to affect prices. If you don’t think that one answers the question, I’ll have a look for some others. Important I get the facts right. I’ll try and dig out some more stuff on health issues later but I think best not to bung the forum up with too many posts on the same thing. I only put the bit in about property prices and health in response to Ed’s reply to my first post about lobbying.
    http://www.spatialeconomics.ac.uk/textonly/SERC/publications/download/sercdp0159.pdf

Yeah no worries, the post amused me more than anything:thumbs:
    About the truck - yeah we can all read things incorrectly first time, no worries, it wasn’t my post anyway. Maybe a bit of subconscious bias crept in expecting me to have got it wrong. What we are expecting can affect how we read things

Lol paranoid much?

My response to you stopped with this guy >>> :D

It was POS that posted the link to clean technica.... but that's all he did, so if you or he or anyone else posted the link... it was the link I was disbelieving of, not the poster.

I will try and make it clearer when I post to multiple replies, so you dont think I'm out to get you:rotfl:
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 August 2019 at 8:58AM
    Shows what national policies can, or can't achieve depending on whether you pushback (or don't) against vested industry interests.

South Korea Says FU To Diesel Cheating While Tesla Model 3 Customers Form Long Lines
    However, in the face of news that Volkswagen AG has been cheating on the software that was supposed to fix Volkswagen’s diesel cheating problem, the country has gone a step further and banned the sale of Volkswagen AG diesel vehicles within its borders. Hallelujah!

[Edit - fun fact, in the US VW's fines are to fund state policies to promote cleaner transport, such as 'Electrify America', Florida has an interesting take as they've invested in new buses (good) ........ Ok everyone knows what's coming don't you ....... diesel buses! M.]

v's

Duke Energy Spreads FUD About Renewables In North Carolina
    Solar is intermittent, see? The sun shines during the day but not at night. (Duh) And so Duke Energy is forced to ramp its gas-powered generating facilities up and down in response. Emission controls on those facilities are largely disabled during the ramping periods and so lots of nasty stuff comes pouring out of the smokestacks and that’s why emissions in the skies over the Tar Heel state will increase. It would be better if the gas-fired facilities were able to operate at full power all day every day, the way God intended.

In a press release, the EWG says Duke Energy has engaged in a corporate scheme to undermine renewables in favor of fossil fuels and nuclear power by “abandoning offshore wind in favor of expanding natural gas, making paltry investments in battery storage for renewables, and relentlessly implementing tactics to punish customers for going solar or investing in energy efficiency.

“I hope everyone who reads Duke’s claims will try to picture a herd of highly paid executives clustered around a conference table fretting themselves sick about the pollution being caused by solar panels and windmills,” says Ken Cook, president of Environmental Working Group. “Duke’s outrageous claim that renewable energy somehow increases air pollution and worsens the climate crisis is on its face ridiculous.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Talking of national policies and pushing back against FF interests, this article goes well beyond its title:

UK should cut vehicle use to hit zero-carbon target, say MPs
    In a scathing parliamentary report, the cross-party science and technology select committee said recent Conservative governments have promised more but done less on the climate crisis, which has left several gaping policy holes that need to be filled.

Among a list of 10 “clean growth” measures needed to make up lost ground, the MPs called for stamp duty incentives for energy-efficient homes, the ban on sales of petrol and diesel cars to be brought forward, a shift away from personal vehicles and greater use of technology to capture and store carbon.

“Government action is needed to reverse the current policy trend of cutbacks and slow progress,” said the paper, which highlights the growing gulf between words and actions.

“It’s a really interesting moment. We have a new prime minister. There is so much noise around Brexit, but this is the real challenge for Boris Johnson,” Lamb said. “There is nothing more serious than [the] climate. It will determine the future of our planet and communities. We have to act and make the case to the public to act.”

Myles Allen, a professor of geosystem science at the University of Oxford, said: “It’s all too easy to lose the big picture in complicated to-do lists. Stopping climate change is astonishingly simple: we need to stop dumping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

“So what the government really needs to do is get the CEOs of about 20 fossil fuel companies into a room and ask them to explain how they plan to make both their activities and the products they sell compliant with net-zero global carbon dioxide emissions by mid-century.

“If any company cannot or will not answer the question, then we need to ask whether they should have a license to operate in the UK or a listing on the London Stock Exchange.”
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback