Sainsbury's selling expired milk

Options
Aside from reporting this to the store manager, what would you do? I didn't buy it, I just took a photograph today and the milk's "use by" date was back on 29 August 2019. I had to look the date several times, couldn't believe my eyes. Obviously store staff haven't been doing their job for a long time. Even if it was missed I'd give it maybe 1 day after the expiry date, for this to be on the shelf for so many weeks... :mad: Just want to say, I'm not after compensation or anything, I want someone sacked!

Comments

• da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Food safety/environmental health department of your local council.

You're unlikely to get anyone fired as they will likely claim that it was one bottle that slipped through their processes.
  • stragglebod
    Options
    I'd expect milk that old, even if refrigerated, would have separated out into cheese plus fatty water, and released enough gas to make the carton visibly bigger.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Long life milk or ( allegedly) fresh ?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Even if it was missed I'd give it maybe 1 day after the expiry date, for this to be on the shelf for so many weeks... :mad: Just want to say, I'm not after compensation or anything, I want someone sacked!

You want someone sacked for what may be a simple mistake? I take it that you are perfect and have never made a mistake in your life.

The bottle/carton may not have been on the shelf for "many weeks".
    It might have been found in a stockroom and put in a box/carton by someone who didn't know what they were doing and then transferred from that box/carton by someone stocking the shelves.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd expect milk that old, even if refrigerated, would have separated out into cheese plus fatty water, and released enough gas to make the carton visibly bigger.

The OP expects us to believe this?

A couple of days maybe but not nearly three weeks!!!
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    The OP expects us to believe this?

A couple of days maybe but not nearly three weeks!!!

It could be something as simple as someone with a grudge against Sainsbury (either a worker or a customer) slipping an expired item onto the shelf.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Aside from reporting this to the store manager, what would you do? I didn't buy it, I just took a photograph today and the milk's "use by" date was back on 29 August 2019. I had to look the date several times, couldn't believe my eyes. Obviously store staff haven't been doing their job for a long time. Even if it was missed I'd give it maybe 1 day after the expiry date, for this to be on the shelf for so many weeks... :mad: Just want to say, I'm not after compensation or anything, I want someone sacked!

I'm puzzled.
    What I'd have done was take it to the supervisors desk.:)
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    I'm puzzled.
    What I'd have done was take it to the supervisors desk.:)

Yes.

OP what did they say when you showed them?
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What I normally do in our local Asda (which seems to have a similar problem understanding the concepts of stock rotation and a calendar) is take it off the shelf and hand it to the nearest member of staff I can find.

I don't demand somebody get sacked, though I tend to mutter such thoughts under my breath as I walk away ;)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    :mad: Just want to say, I'm not after compensation or anything, I want someone sacked!
    You sound like a charming piece of work. Get over yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure