3 week old ring. Ernest Jones say evidence of pulled claw and I need to pay??

Hi help wanted.

My fiance and I bought an engagement ring from Ernest Jones on May 16th. It is a halo setting and I took it back to the shop on the 9th of June because the halo setting was very sharp and I ended up catching my neice with it and asked them if that was normal.
The woman looked at me skeptical but then ran her finger on all four corners and she was like oh wow yes it is sharp and said theyd take it to their work shop to get shaved down or whatever.
I emailed them today to ask when I could expect my ring back as they quoted within 3 weeks.

She has just replied : The workshop has advised there are signs that the claw has been pulled ,they have quoted a price of £50. for repair.
Please advise how you wish to proceed.
Many thanks....

I don't have a clue what she is on about! For one I've worn it for less than 3 weeks and only at night as I csnt wear a ring within my job at the NHS and surely its within my rights that they repair a ring they've sold me that's faulty!
I also took it in due to sharpness of the corners... Nothing to do with the claw I'm assuming is with the central diamond
How can they say I havr to pay to get a ring repaired that I've only had for 3 weeks and haven't damaged myself in any way.
I'm worried if that's the way the ring has gone and they say it's been damaged then it isn't of good quality in the first place and I should be worrying about its durability.

Any advice please?
The Diamond Story 18ct Yellow Gold 2/3ct Diamond Halo Ring
Product code: 3458938
£2599

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would say the claw has been pulled because of the sharpness, causing it to catch on things. I think it's their fault and you need to keep on at them.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    z1a wrote: »
    I would say the claw has been pulled because of the sharpness, causing it to catch on things. I think it's their fault and you need to keep on at them.

Or it's sharp because the claw was pulled. If it was "sharp" at the time of purchase why wasn't it noticed on day 1? I wear rings every day and I would have noticed immediately - especially with a new purchase. 18ct gold is relatively soft so it doesn't take much to snag a claw and lift it - at least the stones weren't lost.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,879
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    After such a short time the onus is on the shop to show it wasn’t an inherent fault but it’s certainly possible that you’ve snagged it on something and bent the claw. In the context of its value, £50 is a tiny amount so you’ll have to decide how long you want to be without it whilst you pursue a complaint and whether it’s worth it.
  • It's not the claw that was sharp though.it was the corners of the halo bit and surely I wouldn't be able to snag/pull 4 corners of a ring in such a short amount of time?

It is an engagement ring, I've never worn a halo ring before so I don't know what is normal or not and everyone kept telling me its normal to catch yourself with a ring when u aren't used to it but when it left scratch marks I decided that wasn't normal.

I agree 50 pound isn't a lot but considering the time frame and the fact it should be under guarantee/wareenty I'm hesitant to oay it. What's to say this won't happen every single week? 50 pound can soon add up to a lot more.

My point is surely having a ring on for less than 6 hours a day for 3 weeks isnt enough time to damage it?
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,469
    Forumite
    Nadia91 wrote: »
    It's not the claw that was sharp though.it was the corners of the halo bit and surely I wouldn't be able to snag/pull 4 corners of a ring in such a short amount of time?

It is an engagement ring, I've never worn a halo ring before so I don't know what is normal or not and everyone kept telling me its normal to catch yourself with a ring when u aren't used to it but when it left scratch marks I decided that wasn't normal.

I agree 50 pound isn't a lot but considering the time frame and the fact it should be under guarantee/wareenty I'm hesitant to oay it. What's to say this won't happen every single week? 50 pound can soon add up to a lot more.

My point is surely having a ring on for less than 6 hours a day for 3 weeks isnt enough time to damage it?

Seriously? You could wear it once for an hour and damage it.
  • TW1234
    TW1234 Posts: 209
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    That is sad behaviour by a reputable jeweller.
    Regardless of the cause of a snagged claw, it is a trivial job to smooth and adjust. As such the goodwill that could result in the purchase of a future lifetime's jewelry by a couple just getting engaged, combined with ensuring that a jewelry sale gives pleasure should be the prime consideration.
    That shop manager is not upto scratch!
    I suggest that you ask them to refer it to their head of customer services, whilst mentioning facebook.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,469
    Forumite
    TW1234 wrote: »
    That is sad behaviour by a reputable jeweller.
    Regardless of the cause of a snagged claw, it is a trivial job to smooth and adjust. As such the goodwill that could result in the purchase of a future lifetime's jewelry by a couple just getting engaged, combined with ensuring that a jewelry sale gives pleasure should be the prime consideration.
    That shop manager is not upto scratch!
    I suggest that you ask them to refer it to their head of customer services, whilst mentioning facebook.

Blackmail them to fix something for free they believe the OP damaged?
  • TW1234
    TW1234 Posts: 209
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There is far more to good retailing than the application of the cold steel of the law.
    In this case, there is no conclusive evidence of the cause and it will not get to court for a decision.
    The goodwill is worth consideration by the retailer; drawing that fact to their attention by mentioning facebook will be a useful learning experience for a "jobsworth."
  • Update! I got the ring back and I was happy with it. They had smoothed it so it wasn't sharp. But now. Just 2 months later the claw has snapped off somehow!

Seriously! How is a 2500 pound ring causing this much trouble!

What do u think my options are?
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,102
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Ask them to change it for a ring that is designed to last a " lifetime " not months,i know it will not be the ring that you chose but forget that and remember it is only a symbal of your love for each other.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure