PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Carpets Included in House Sale Price

Options

Comments

• evoke
    evoke Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jeez. OP: get a life, mate.

Seriously, there are bigger things to worry about than sh*tty carpets in a property you've bought. Are you going to don a pair of Marigolds before you touch any of the door handles or the kitchen worktops? Will you be paying to have the house fumigated before you move in?
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
  • sunshinetours
    Options
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    It is as much to do with hygiene as anything. Carpets are breeding grounds for bacteria etc, and I don't want to handle these dirty carpets if I don't have to. So I would have to pay someone to do it, and I don't see why I should. My question was really one of legality. Can I insist on them being removed legally?

Ask your solicitor then as you have had opinions here and you seem intent on making it an issue of sale (when it really isn't)

The crux is any agreement can contain terms that BOTH parties MAY agree to

A by far easier solution would be for seller to say fine we'll knock £100 off sale price and you can pay a "man with a van"
  • Tommo781
    Tommo781 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    evoke wrote: »
    Jeez. OP: get a life, mate.

Seriously, there are bigger things to worry about than sh*tty carpets in a property you've bought. Are you going to don a pair of Marigolds before you touch any of the door handles or the kitchen worktops? Will you be paying to have the house fumigated before you move in?

There was no need for you to be so rude. Please don't tell me to get a life when you know nothing about me.
  • Greatgimp
    Greatgimp Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Leave the carpets there. Cut about 2 inches all around, that means you can paint the walls, skirting boards, frames etc without having your knees on the hard floor. Make the most of them.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    It is as much to do with hygiene as anything. Carpets are breeding grounds for bacteria etc, and I don't want to handle these dirty carpets if I don't have to. So I would have to pay someone to do it, and I don't see why I should. My question was really one of legality. Can I insist on them being removed legally?
    If it is written into the contract which both you and the sellers sign, then yes, you can "insist on them being removed legally".

If the contract you sign icludes the carpets, then clealy you can't insist!
  • iB1
    iB1 Posts: 384 Forumite
    Options
    You can ask if they would do so. It's not a legal issue, so they may either accept or decline. If they decline, would it be worth the hassle of kicking up a fuss over? I shouldn't think so. If they really are that manky, then hoover and shampoo them on the day you move in. leave them whilst you decorate and rip -em up when you're done
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    If it is written into the contract which both you and the sellers sign, then yes, you can "insist on them being removed legally".

If the contract you sign icludes the carpets, then clealy you can't insist!

This is the obviously correct answer. The real question is why don't you just ask and see what the reaction is?

The snags you face are:

1. You may offend the executors and they don't sell to you. (These carpets were good enough for gran, and this **** buyer doesn't even want to touch them!!)

2. The executors think it's a hassle for them as they may be in a different part of the country - they've already had the house cleared, and they'll just find another buyer. By the time a solicitor is involved in organising their removal, it could cost £500-1000.

I'd just knock a few hundred off my offer, to pay for a couple of blokes in a van to cart the carpets off to the dump. You can offer the executors a choice of more money if they see to it, but that may cause more trouble than it's worth.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I prefer to paint skirting boards as far down as possible, which means lifting the carpet.

I have no real answer for the OP, but can remember when leaving carpets behind was considered a big deal. Like everything else nowadays they seem to be a throwaway item.
    Been away for a while.
  • tamarto
    tamarto Posts: 832 Forumite
    Options
    A few hundred quid for some blokes to uplift and remove, i'll come down and do it for that!
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't ask. They're generally classed as 'fixtures and fittings' when there these days, so, IMO, it would be like asking for the skanky toilet to be removed too, or wallpaper on the walls.

If that much work needs doing, I agree with the suggestions above - just use them instead of dust sheets to protect the floor.

If you want to ask, think you should just go ahead and ask. I wouldn't be upset if someone asked me if I'd remove the carpets if I was selling a house with skanky carpets, but I would say no, do it yourself once the sale's completed. They could lose you as a buyer until that date, so I doubt they'll be doing you any favours, especially as it's being sold as part of someone's estate. I'm sure nobody else will want the job either so I do think you'll have to take their first answer and not be upset if it's a no - or if they want to charge you for the pleasure of having them removed.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family