MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you give up a £50 train seat for a pregnant woman?

1575859606163»

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Just out of interest, why is this thread entitled "Money Moral Dilemma"? There's nothing whatsoever immoral about occupying a train seat that you have purchased for your journey.

It might not be good manners not to give it up to someone arguably more in need of it, but there's certainly no question of immorality!
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• caseystar
    caseystar Posts: 6,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Without a doubt of course I would. Having been pregnant twice myself I am fully aware of how uncomfortable standing can get. Never mind the danger to an innocent baby.

Yes she should have pre booked her seat if she had the chance, yes I would be rather miffed about giving up a seat my hard earned money paid for but so what?

It's the decent thing to do, isn't it? :confused:
    In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different. ;)

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've noticed something interesting in this topic. Almost without fail everyone who has said they would give up their seat are those who have been pregnant, or those who have had a pregnant partner. Those that have said they wouldn't give up their seat are those who have had no dealings with pregnancy.

Maybe people just don't see pregnancy as difficult until they've actually had first hand experience. Most argue it's a choice as well, maybe people become more sympathetic once they've had children.
  • I wouldn't..... what if it turns out she's not pregnant but just fat - can be difficult to tell sometimes!
  • Emzycal
    Emzycal Posts: 301 Forumite
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    I've noticed something interesting in this topic. Almost without fail everyone who has said they would give up their seat are those who have been pregnant, or those who have had a pregnant partner. Those that have said they wouldn't give up their seat are those who have had no dealings with pregnancy.

Maybe people just don't see pregnancy as difficult until they've actually had first hand experience. Most argue it's a choice as well, maybe people become more sympathetic once they've had children.

I know that pregnancy is difficult.
    But so are the medical conditions I have,and THOSE aren't self inflicted.
  • Bogof_Babe
    It would be interesting to know whether these chivalrous male posters would be so quick to say "of course you should give up your seat" if it was their wife who had paid for it and was sitting in it.

• for me in a situation like this i may or may not depending on if i calculate her to be worthy of having my seat or not , If i even noticed her board the train and could see she was heavily pregnant and or maybe struggling the first thing i would think and want is to give her my seat and i would do it straight away if i had less than 30 mins of my trip left , if i still had 1 hour or more left i would stay seated and discreetly study her to gain an opinion if it would really help her out or if she seems like a nice person or would be grateful (an ungrateful person might be looking around at the seated people as if they expect someone to get up for them) i may find that shes a mouthy horrible old slag as she shouts down her phone with no regard to anyone else on the train . also another good reason why its good to wait to make a decision , is that there may be other ppl who think like me and that know they don't have long left and they may give her their chair after they realise the situation . lol sorry i cant give a yes or no answer i would if there was more precise facts on the situation, i suppose in the majority of the time i would give up my seat though
  • Having been heavily pregnant on trains I would give my seat up in a second. Its hard work. I would never ask for someones seat unless I was desperate but I kind of expect someone to offer it. Not many people do.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Just out of interest, is it more uncomfortable being pregnant and standing up than just being very overweight and having to stand up?

Should we give up our seats for anyone fatter than us? :D

• COOKIES
    COOKIES Posts: 22 Forumite
    I think it depends on the situation really, As a young female who has spent hours on uncomfortable and full train journeys there are lots of people on the train who will have paid and are entitled to their seats. On one hand it is only polite to give your seat up for the less able especially if you can see them getting knocked around and I would give my seat up because I havebeen bought up to have manners, but I might be a bit annoyed about it!! I personally would be more willing to give my seat up for an elderly person than I would a heavily pregnant woman, I know that sounds mean but the elderly are frail from now on, receiving pensions and unstable on their feet in general and hve to take their chances with trains as they may not be able to drive, whereas a heavily pregnant woman is pregnant for 9 months and knows her temporary condition so either herself or her significant other should have suggested they book or booked for her! I think it is arrogant to expect people to move for you because you have not bothered to book a seat for yourself, and if you have to travel at short notice and have not booked a seat however expensive, who's fault is that!!?? I also feel some people might do it on purpose because they think there is no need as someone will automatically move.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure