MSE News: eBay cyber-attack: Change your passwords, auction site warns users

Comments

• SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'm still waiting for an email to change my password, been over 8 hours now....ridiculous

Perhaps, like me, they sent your email containing the link to change your password to a total stranger!
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Ebay are now suffering 'extreme technical difficulties', so am unable to actually change my password.

Bl00dy useless shower.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    patman99 wrote: »
    Ebay are now suffering 'extreme technical difficulties', so am unable to actually change my password.

Bl00dy useless shower.
    They aren't great with technology, it's not as though they need it too often! The other one that are possibly worse in their field is EE/Orange, they could join up with Ebay and still not have a functioning website.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I actually found out about this via a friend in the US on Facebook back on Wednesday. I changed my passwords on both ebay and paypal(accounts not linked), with no problems. I have signed into ebay with new password twice without a hitch. Bought something just now and signed into paypal no problem and paid..

Never heard anything from ebay!!! But I only buy.
  • still waiting after 16 hours for the emails to let me change my passwords... 16 hours +++ You couldn't make this up....
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Why wait for the e-mail?
    Can't you log in to change it?

As everyone who had bicycles stolen will know, no security is good enough, and certainly not a mass consumer, one size fits all mechanism.

I would like banks to set up ATM cubicles with multiple identification technologies, including facial recognition and finger print scanner. For transaction types I sign up for, it acts like Verified by VISA, so that only transactions I confirm in the cubicle will go through. I expect something like this will be offered as part of a paid for bank account. They should provide something similar for poor people, who can't afford premium accounts, maybe using Job centres and libraries.

As a backup, I expect human tellers to be available in branch. Obviously the ATMs should be on a private network.
  • Pincher wrote: »
    Why wait for the e-mail?

yeah did that.. they sent me a still unrecieved email. 26 hours now..
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Pincher wrote: »
    Why wait for the e-mail?

Not if it was like my buying account. I was blocked until I clicked a box to change my password, which required me to access my email account. If I did not 'opt' to change my password it would not let me go any further. I could not therefore log in to change my password as I would normally do.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • luvvlyjubbly
    luvvlyjubbly Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    I had to ring them to get them to send me the email....password finally changed!!
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing altogether.:D
  • still haven't had the emails after 36 hours so got the pin via the phone and did it this morning.. really really p**s poor service from ebay...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure