MSE News: The £850 a year cost of iTunes loyalty

Comments

• I know iTunes isn't the cheapest, but its certainly the easiest & doesn't have to have any cards involved.

I will be sticking with iTunes through and through :P
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have couple of ipods at home, dont use itunes at all nor the program I tend to use mediamonkey (need itunes program to be installed for a couple of files it needs) and rip my own tracks from cd as I like the backup. I just drag mp3's into the media monkey and select import you can do this with itunes too
  • My 3 teenage kids all use something called spotify, never pay for anything and have tons of what they want to listen to, and I don't think what they are doing is illegal.
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    oakhouse13 wrote: »
    My 3 teenage kids all use something called spotify, never pay for anything and have tons of what they want to listen to, and I don't think what they are doing is illegal.

Perfectly legal but IIRC last time I tried Spotify you're either "renting" tracks to listen to on your PC, or possibly even just listening to it "radio" style, which is all you need to listen to stuff at home but not so helpful to take music out and about with you.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Is working now.

Am shocked- 408 albums a year downloaded!! Wow- I love my music but am not sure if I actually download that many! (sorry to heckle you OP!)

Am laughing though as I use Napster. It is a subscription service so I do have to keep up the contract, but for £150 a year I can download whatever and however much I want! Have had to clear my 8GB MP3 twice this last year to make room for more tunes! Been with Napster about 2 or so years now? There are some holes in the software but then I notice the same holes with Itunes and its even more frustrating when you pay per tune!

Guess thats a money saving £1830 to £2861! :)

I'm very tempted to try Napster but on the website, the packages only list a certain number of mp3s you can keep a month.

I can't find anything about unlimited downloads, which is ideally what I would like, no matter how much the monthly fee as I'm an avid music lover. :(
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • claire21
    claire21 Posts: 32,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks all for the useful advice for a newbie mp3 person
  • james123
    james123 Posts: 243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    www.we7.com is very good aswell, i wouldnt buy music from there as it is quite expensive, however their free streaming service is great.
    Copy from one, it’s plagiarism; copy from two, it’s research.
  • bob_a_builder
    bob_a_builder Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 January 2010 at 9:25PM
    I know iTunes isn't the cheapest, but its certainly the easiest & doesn't have to have any cards involved.

I will be sticking with iTunes through and through :P

I see Steve Jobs now has an MSE account ...

username seems to fit too ...
  • GrammarGirl
    GrammarGirl Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Spotify is music streaming - you search for the tracks/albums you want and listen to them through your computer but you can't take them off your computer - burn them to a CD or load them onto an iPod, for example. The free version of Spotify also plays adverts at the end of every other song.

I *think* you can get Spotify on the iPhone now - I'm sure my OH has it. He pays for the premium version, though.
  • Scrilla
    Scrilla Posts: 242 Forumite
    I know iTunes isn't the cheapest, but its certainly the easiest & doesn't have to have any cards involved.
    The first time I started using iTunes was when I first saw the voucher offers. You know, the £30 for £20 ones and from there, I was a converted shopper. I only buy iTunes vouchers when the offers come up and when they do, I buy 100s of pounds worth each time. If we work it out, it's an effective 1/3 off the iTunes prices. When we factor that into the table in the article, shopping at iTunes is very competitive:
    Tunechecker*	iTunes (Full price in brackets)
    2009 Singles	£226		£228 (£342)
    2009 Albums	£1980		£1896 (£2844)
    Week Albums	£201		£209 (£313)
    Week Singles	£22		£24 (£37)

(*Of course, I haven't factored this into the tunechecker prices as they will also fall presuming the iTunes purchases will be cheaper, but I am not about to search each album/track and do that calculation :) .)

This voucher habit combined with myself always wanting a £2.99 'hardcopy' from play/hmv for older music I think has got me a pretty good deal. I don't want to be typing into a site every song/album I want to purchase, so second cheapest for the sake of convenience (in agreement with MoneyMaker) is good enough for me. Plus, as with other 'tunechecker-bought' tracks, the purchases do not need to be streamed, nor are we limited in the number of songs allowed to be 'rented' onto an mp3 player at any one time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure