Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Forward thinking
    • By Forward thinking 22nd Aug 19, 12:58 AM
    • 310Posts
    • 882Thanks
    Forward thinking
    Devastated!!!
    • 22nd Aug 19, 12:58 AM
    Devastated!!! 22nd Aug 19 at 12:58 AM
    Totally devastated!!!

Two months ago I cleared my Barclays account and then contactd them to see if I could do a balance transfer. They offered me a promotional rate of 1.68% instead of our old 20% interest and told me it would be on-going. I asked if they could send it to me in writing but they told me they couldn't but it would be for a long period of time (can't remember exact time but definitely over a year). So I transferred over all our debts of 13k. That was in May.

I've just logged on and seen that they are charging us 20% interest. So that's about 750 I'm now paying each month : (

Husband says I was crazy to believe them - that always do things like this.

Was I really so stupid? Is there nothing I can do??? I really can't afford this extra interest and was so happy at their offer!! Gullible???
Page 2
    • headoffinance
    • By headoffinance 22nd Aug 19, 11:53 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    headoffinance
    Hello,

I have a lot of family that bank with Barclays and have never had any problems at all this includes their BarclayCards. I just wanted to say if I was you I would start recording the phone calls with the bank for your own piece of mind!

Good luck,
    Headoffinance
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 23rd Aug 19, 8:50 AM
    • 6,188 Posts
    • 4,121 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Hello,

I have a lot of family that bank with Barclays and have never had any problems at all this includes their BarclayCards. I just wanted to say if I was you I would start recording the phone calls with the bank for your own piece of mind!

Good luck,
    Headoffinance
    Originally posted by headoffinance
    Thanks for the post pump
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 24th Aug 19, 11:14 AM
    • 820 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    Am too scared of trying to get another credit card in case I am turned down : ((
    Originally posted by Forward thinking

What's to be afraid of? If you are turned down then the worst that happens is that you are in the same position as you were before, with a largely irrelevant search on your credit file. But that's it.

If your credit history is in decent shape then I'd absolutely try for a 0% card. From experience, Tesco offer pretty large limits and offer 28 months at 0%, which is plenty of time to get your finances in order.

An alternative is to default. Yes, they'll whack on a load of charges, and total cost will go up. But, once defaulted, they won't be charging interest and you can agree a plan to pay it off.

However, if you feel you were led to believe it was at a lower rate, then definitely put in a complaint. You never know, you might get lucky.
    • JayMawds82
    • By JayMawds82 24th Aug 19, 6:12 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    JayMawds82
    I don't get why they wouldn't give you an offer in writing or email.

You shouldn't do anything without some sort of proof.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

387Posts Today

5,859Users online

Martin's Twitter