The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

No pay during redundancy notice period

Hi,
I have been working as a joiner in a small firm for around 8 years. We have been struggling with work for a while and been put on short time, on and off for a couple of years.
More recently, after another short time period I have been laid off for 3 weeks and been told I will be made redundant. I went to a meeting today and was told my notice period would be 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, with the weeks on, being short time.
The weeks off will be unpaid and I will only be paid short time for the weeks on. Is this legal, or am I due 8 weeks full pay?

Comments

• zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello Youriwanbull, and welcome to the forums.

You are entitled to one week's paid notice for each complete year of service. The way in which 'a week's pay' is calculated will depend on whether you have fixed contracted hours, or whether your hours vary from week to week (but over-time is not taken into account).

You are also entitled to statutory redundancy pay the amount of which will depend on your age - calculator here https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

Please note: I am not an official CAB Representative. The CAB Reps do not post at weekends, and aim to reply within two working days during the week.

Hope this helps

Dx
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    Hi,
    I have been working as a joiner in a small firm for around 8 years. We have been struggling with work for a while and been put on short time, on and off for a couple of years.
    More recently, after another short time period I have been laid off for 3 weeks and been told I will be made redundant. I went to a meeting today and was told my notice period would be 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, with the weeks on, being short time.
    The weeks off will be unpaid and I will only be paid short time for the weeks on. Is this legal, or am I due 8 weeks full pay?

You are right, notice if you have been employed over 8 years is 8 weeks. Generally you should get your normal full wage or pay in lieu of . see adviceguide factsheet - notice of dismissal from work attached below. :

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...factsheets.htm

If they wont budge on this then you need to get help from your local CAb who may be able to negotiate with you employer on your behalf.

Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure