lpg or oil

Options
Hi since my initial post about lpg or oil, we are actually getting closer on the renovation now to start getting quotes in for above. Given the difference in costs of ppl of both at the moment and the difference in installation would people still favour one over the other, and why
TIA

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A new oil boiler (I think) more expensive than a gas one.

The LPG industry is run by sharks - oil pricing is more transparent.

Oil has been traditionally cheaper per KW - don't compare ppl as that's not the same.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As per my responses to your initial post, personally I would still go for LPG.

However, I would caveat this with finding a good independent local supplier. I'm afraid that the big companies like Calor, Flogas and Avanti are the ones to avoid.

I still pay 30ppl, which has remained the same since November 2014. Also, I'm not in contract so can move at any time.
  • moving1moretime
    moving1moretime Posts: 123 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2018 at 11:59AM
    Options
    Thanks Mister G, can any firm install a tank etc, or do I initially have to have this from calor, who are currently offering a complete install free of charge, I.e ground works, base, tank and trench work for pipes, although I'm under no illusion at all that their ppl will most likely be higher to reflect the cost of installation.
  • Mister_G
    Options
    Thanks Mister G, can any firm install a tank etc, or do I initially have to have this from calor, who are currently offering a complete install free of charge, I.e ground works, base, tank and trench work for pipes, although I'm under no illusion at all that their ppl will most likely be higher to reflect the cost of installation.

You can find firms that will just sell and install a tank, but this will be quite expensive (£1000). The tank becomes yours which means paying for regular inspections.

The Calor offer is obviously a good one, but you will be locked into a 2 year contract with them. After the 2 years you will be free to shop around.

There are other posts on here that will tell you the current sort of ppl prices that Calor will charge.

I would certainly advise getting quotes from all the major suppliers, including Woldlink.

Your boiler can be installed by any RGI who is qualified to install LPG appliances (not all are).
  • moving1moretime
    edited 26 May 2018 at 1:30PM
    Options
    Thanks very much, what type of boiler do you have if you don't mind me asking and what would the average annual service cost of the boiler likely to be.
  • Mister_G
    Options
    Thanks very much, what type of boiler do you have if you don't mind me asking and what would the average annual service cost of the boiler likely to be.

I have an aged (35 year old) Baxi Bermuda back boiler. It is very simple and basic and probably only about 65% efficient. The servicing costs are £50 a year from a local Gas Safe engineer. Luckily, parts are still available, but in 35 years all that has been required is a FFD thermocouple £10 and a Gas Valve £45.

Sadly, when it finally gives up, I will have to replace it with a modern condensing boiler, which I know will not last another 35 years!

Most modern gas boilers can be jetted for LPG at little or no extra cost to mains gas jetting. I'm sure that you have already discovered that, on average, they are about half the cost of an oil boiler.
  • moving1moretime
    edited 26 May 2018 at 4:07PM
    Options
    Brill thanks for the info .
  • moving1moretime
    Options
    Another question, seeing as the lpg supplier (whom ever) will lock you in for 2 yrs are you expected to order the same amount of gas in year 2 as you did in year 1. Or do you order as much as possible to keep the tank full in year 1 when prices are fixed and possibly cheaper then order the minimum or possibly even none in year 2 when the prices are higher. If that makes sense.
  • Mister_G
    Options
    Most suppliers will install a 1200 litre tank. A typical fill will be 1000 litres. Obviously, depending on usage, the time this lasts for will vary. I get through about 2500 litres a year. (4 bed rural semi)

This means that you are very unlikely to be able to store sufficient to get you through year 2. However, as you say, it would be wise to fill up as much as possible towards the end of Year 1.
  • moving1moretime
    Options
    Thanks very much, it's a two bed detached very rural and under renovation, new roof currently going on, hoping to install two wood burners one lounge one kitchen ( oven) electric shower oven and induction hob will go in when kitchen is installed and just two of us will be living there. So hoping it won't burn up too much gas,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure