Do I need a new PC?

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    It was clearly going to be a waste of time asking where this file on a hosting site came from or what it does as anyone with sense would give an explanation of what that first step(update bios) gives you and any problem it will solve if you don't.

Your reply was very off hand when I said I would want to know before installing anything what it does.

Then throwing a wobbly on someone else because they don't use ebay...

What are you going on about??

Did you actually ask me about the BIOS update?

This is what you wrote;
    it never goes that easy from scratch.

Just checking the bios upgrade and what it does will take time.

is there really a legal free upgrade from vista to 7?

My reply was;
    You are just over complicating things. It really is that easy.
    Yes.

I didn't understand that as a question to me, but to your general experience of upgrading. That you spend ages 'checking' a BIOS update on the manufacturers website and what it does.... seems a five minute job to me.
    But for you, a major obstacle.

That seems rather to over-complicate the process and probably explains why you you are still running Vista in 2018. Because you don't actually appear to have moved forward.

You didn't actually ask me anything. But here you are insulting the person who actually takes the time to help.
    You just wrote that it would take time to find out what it does. It would have taken a few seconds for you to ask.

As to your suggestion that I should pre-explain every single step. That is patently ridiculous. Do you know how many hundreds of guides I have written for people who simply decide to take another path, such a purchasing a new machine?
    So now I keep it short, explaining the basic steps. Then if someone actually decide to go through with it, I will explain it step by step.
    Did you miss the part where I wrote step by step earlier?

I have actually explained everything that has been asked of me here, but I'm not going to get involved in silly arguments and mud slinging.

If you prefer to argue for the sake of it, then you simply get added to the ignore list.

As to my comment to tazwhoever...perhaps it was too subtle for you, but it was less about eBay and more to do with every suggestion I made being met with an alternative suggestion. Like that horribly overpriced close to ten year old DELL machine that she wanted to consider for £350.
    Each new post slightly more outlandish that the last.
    So in all honesty, it became tiresome.
    I wouldn't have spent more than £30 on that machine. She has no extra performance benefit for spending more.
    It's seems a classic case of the blind leading the blind. So now she follows your route. Someone who admits to still running Vista in 2018. Impressive.
    Sharing your notes. Wow.
    Anyway, the choices have been made. Let's just leave it at that, shall we?
  • trigger_fish
    trigger_fish Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    OP

My Dell Inspiron 530 recently conked out.

I bought a Dell Optiplex 760 reconditioned unit for £80 on ebay running windows 10.

The difference in speed is enormous. And the size of the unit is much smaller.

I wouldn't put any money against a machine of that age.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    That you spend ages 'checking' a BIOS update on the manufacturers website and what it does.... seems a five minute job to me.

That would have been fine if it had been a link to the latest and greatest dell bios for the model, an an easy job to check it out.

BUT that is not what we were dealing with with your proposed easy bios upgrade it was a link to a random file on a web hosting site with nothing to give it any credibility.

Do you still stand by the suggestion in the post(74236830) you seem to have deleted along with the post it referenced that included the link to the potentially dodgy file...

here for those that missed it(my bold, that post mentioned has also gone).
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Would have been a simple job.Back up product keys. Update using the BIOS linked in my post. Install SSD as boot drive, install Windows 7 Professional cleanly to SSD. Attach old HDD as storage drive. Move stuff over at leisure.

that people install, without doing any checks, a random file from an hosting site without any heritage to their BIOS?
  • capital0ne
    capital0ne Posts: 872 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ditch windows and move to Linux - Mint, Ubuntu, whatever you feel like, far more secure, far easier to configure and less resource hungry - add memory to your machine, memeory for a 10 yr old machine is dirt cheap on Ebay.
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OP

My Dell Inspiron 530 recently conked out.

I bought a Dell Optiplex 760 reconditioned unit for £80 on ebay running windows 10.

The difference in speed is enormous. And the size of the unit is much smaller.

I wouldn't put any money against a machine of that age.

But your new machine isn't with SSD!
  • EveryWhere
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    But your new machine isn't with SSD!

???

Irony?

The machine in post #89 was even cheaper, newer, better and had an SSD fitted.

It appears that you have let yourself be misled by some very inexperienced people on this thread. Feeding into your fears with their own fears and their inherent lack of knowledge.
    Clearly illustrated by the horrible machines put forward as alternatives and the lack of knowledge of what a BIOS of that age can actually do.

Instead they simply throw mud around, hoping some of it would stick. No help to you whatsoever.
    Instead of encouraging, they simply put more fear into you.

You could have a really nice machine for the children by spending much less, but instead, sadly, you'll have the same old thing, but with more storage.
    It's akin to moving to a bigger house because you filled the old one with junk and then taking all of the junk with you.
    The last thing most computers need is more on-board storage, unless a relatively useless 32GB eMMC model.
  • EveryWhere
    That would have been fine if it had been a link to the latest and greatest dell bios for the model, an an easy job to check it out.

BUT that is not what we were dealing with with your proposed easy bios upgrade it was a link to a random file on a web hosting site with nothing to give it any credibility.

Do you still stand by the suggestion in the post(74236830) you seem to have deleted along with the post it referenced that included the link to the potentially dodgy file...

here for those that missed it(my bold, that post mentioned has also gone).

that people install, without doing any checks, a random file from an hosting site without any heritage to their BIOS?

I haven't deleted anything.
    You didn't ask about the BIOS. It is the latest and greatest.
    I don't mind if you don't want to use it. The people that know me here have implicit trust in my knowledge.
    The other thing you will have noticed with the files behind the link, is that a novice would have no idea of what to do with them. But an experienced user would. So I would expect that any novice actually wanting to go through with the upgrade, would ask for instructions.
    Writing them all out in advance would just create a wall of writing, scaring most newbies off. Understand?
    Stick with Vista. It doesn't hurt me. But sad to see people like yourself drag others down because of your lack of knowledge.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    I haven't deleted anything.

At least two of your posts on this thread have gone have gone.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You didn't ask about the BIOS. It is the latest and greatest.
    I don't mind if you don't want to use it. The people that know me here have implicit trust in my knowledge.

If you've hacked the firmware to change the Windows product key to install a dodgy copy of Windows, fair enough. But why mislead the OP about what they're doing?

It should be common sense not to download BIOS firmware from a dodgy filesharing website, so you're going need more than a belief that others have implicit trust in you to explain why this is an exceptional case.
  • EveryWhere
    At least two of your posts on this thread have gone have gone.

Perhaps someone, two guesses as to whom, reported them as something malign.
    Now perhaps you see the result of silly fear-mongering, as opposed to intelligent discussion.
    There was no fear of malign code, only a silly argument about whether Royalty OEM is 'legal' without paying Royalty fees to the OEM. DELL in this case.
    Conveniently forgetting that selling OEM licences without them being pre-installed to a machine is also not 'legal'.
    Truth is that the two arguing didn't even understand the difference between Royalty OEM and System Builder OEM and were simply bluffing 'on the fly'.
    Not a good reflection on you to hitch your wagon to them.
    The people with the knowledge here don't want to get into childish arguments with relative novices.
    Suffice to say, they don't know what they are talking about and have only harmed the people who know even less than them by making them even more fearful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure