PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    True.

No photo too of the back garden/back yard.

Is that what "back to back" houses means? - ie that your house's back wall is attached to the back wall of the house in the next road over? I've often wondered....

That being the house has 3 attached neighbours - instead of the two I would expect in a mid-terrace?

Loads of back to back houses in Leeds. Those in student housing areas, many are redeveloped with basement - kitchen and living area. Ground floor bedroom and shower room where original kitchen stood. First floor bedroom and bathroom (original rooms) then loft converted into two bedrooms.

Those houses that don't have a yard in front - front door on pavement, some tenants string their washing on lines between the houses opposite tgem
  • EssexGirl
    EssexGirl Posts: 977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    No nik-nak shop left unpassed.

There's a shop down the road from that house, in Swanage that sells a cornucopia of that type of stuff. I think their shelves are now empty!

Looks like a bed under the pool table too.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I came across a maltings in Hertfordshire about 15/20 years ago which was being converted into residential, resulting in back to back houses, all newly converted and relatively expensive.

In the 1980s/90s before apartments became the only way forward for 1/2 bed starter homes, there quite a few "cluster homes" built, 1 bed in blocks of 4, 2 bed in a "T" block. These were a modern equivalent of "back to back".

Yep I know of a few places where that occurs in Surrey. They've got more appeal than apartments I suppose (there's no upstairs neighbours clog-dancing/playing the tuba etc). They've got more views/ aspects than a back-to-back and no real gardens (but they're being marketed to people who're not real gardeners).
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I did read something a few years ago about a developer trying to make a comeback with it, seems like a horrible idea to me. Terraces are bad enough without robbing you of a back garden and having an extra dimension for noise to come from.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ashe wrote: »
    I did read something a few years ago about a developer trying to make a comeback with it, seems like a horrible idea to me. Terraces are bad enough without robbing you of a back garden and having an extra dimension for noise to come from.

Doesn't seem like a great idea to me either. Having said that if there's a bigger market for houses than flats, how do we fit them all in without the urban sprawl and concomitant problems that blight the USA and Australia?

We'd probably be better off with this style of housing for those that can't find suitable flats to live in.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    SuperMoose wrote: »
    Back-to-back houses certainly weren't rare although relatively few survived the slum clearences.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-to-back_house
    https://periodhouse.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/back-to-backs.html

Bradford back-to-backs:
    http://www.bradfordhistorical.org.uk/houses.html

There are "blind back" terraces too where there isn't another house behnd but there's no back door or outside space at the back. My friend had one in Pudsey.
    In the areas of Leeds where B2Bs are common you'll see "normal" terraces advertised as "through terrace" to distinguish.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    betsie wrote: »
    All I can think of when I look at the pictures is the 100!!!8217;s of boxes they will need to pack it all up.

Perhaps they're down sizing! :eek: _pale_
  • LisbonLaura
    LisbonLaura Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Forget dried twigs in vases, now you need the word 'botanic' for value enhancement.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64465117.html
    It's added at least two hundred thousand in this case; unless it's the bunker in pic4 that's done the trick?
  • sheepnik
    Options
    Spot the cat! Rightmove ... property-for-sale/property-69139124.html (I know the link won't work as I'm a new poster, but you should be able to add the text from property-for-sale/ onwards to the standard Rightmove url)

:rotfl:
  • winspiration
    Options
    sheepnik wrote: »
    Spot the cat! Rightmove ... property-for-sale/property-69139124.html (I know the link won't work as I'm a new poster, but you should be able to add the text from property-for-sale/ onwards to the standard Rightmove url)

:rotfl:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69139124.html

Bonus points for spot the estate agent (their legs, anyway!) too :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills