X-O /Jarvis broker awful service

Options
Hi

I have been using various online platforms over the years eg HL, III, Iweb, Vanguard direct and switched my shares to X-O last year due to their low execution fees eg £5 per trade, but their overall plaform is awful! Everytime you want to make transfers you have to email them with all details, no divi reinvest, simple things like password resets require you to cal them and even then they provide passwords that dont work and dont allow easy retrieval via the site, close at 5pm and from 430 dont appear to answer calls. If i cant log in tomorrow i am going to complain to the ombudsman.

Can anyone recommend a low cost similar platform for individual uk shares with low transfer costs and divi reinvestments? I have an HL account for funds, but they are costly for shares. I dont envisage transacting more than 1/2x a year with this account just odd payouts.

Comments

• jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have an HL account for funds, but they are costly for shares. I dont envisage transacting more than 1/2x a year with this account just odd payouts.

HL are expensive for funds, and if you will only trade 1/2x a year, cheap for shares.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2018 at 8:27PM
    Options
    iWeb charge £5 to trade shares. There is a £25 account opening fee.

Interactive Brokers charge £6 to trade shares, although there is an inactivity fee.

Barclays Smart Investor charge £6 to trade shares, with a 0.1% annual charge.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have an HL account for funds, but they are costly for shares. I dont envisage transacting more than 1/2x a year with this account just odd payouts.
    HL don't charge anything at all for holding shares in a GIA, can't get cheaper than that. There is a £45 cap in an ISA. You'll pay an £11.95 transaction charge but unless you have a small holding that's neither here nor there. There are plenty of other places with low or nil custody charges for shares
  • capital0ne
    Options
    Hi
    I have been using various online platforms over the years eg HL, III, Iweb, Vanguard direct and switched my shares to X-O last year due to their low execution fees eg £5 per trade, b
    Why did you leave iWeb?
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    EdGasketTheSecond Posts: 2,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 March 2018 at 12:12PM
    Options
    I have always found x-o / Jarvis to be spot-on for service;

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 February 2018 at 9:07PM
    Options
    I find the Jarvis X-O fee structure attractive but I don't really see how they can make enough money out of their business model to be viable. Unless they have a lot of other customers who are active traders? At that price, as a buy and hold investor, I would put up with almost any quality of bad service. As long as the money is safe. I wouldn't exceed the FSCS limit with them.
  • fun4everyone
    Options
    I have always found x-o / Jarvis to be spot-on for service

Same for me. They are good imo. Bargain at the price.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    but I don't really see how they can make enough money out of their business model to be viable. Unless they have a lot of other customers who are active traders?

They are a publicly quoted company on AIM (ticker JIM) and you can look at their accounts online. They are making a tidy profit. They also benefit from interest on investor's uninvested cash.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    I find the Jarvis X-O fee structure attractive but I don't really see how they can make enough money out of their business model to be viable.

Far easier to understand a business model such as Jarvis. Than say Tesco's which resorted to financial engineering to manipulate their financial results.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    [QUOTE=cashbackproblems;73952705 If i cant log in tomorrow i am going to complain to the ombudsman.

[/QUOTE]

Write your passwords down if you struggle to remember them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure