The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Options

Comments

• Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    5 please Shaggy
    Arkers x
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 December 2017 at 1:04PM
    Options
    Welcome BACKFRMTHEEDGE :hello:

Wishing you all the best for your son's results Slowdown.

3/10 for today please Shaggy
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done for staying off the chocolate, Shaggy. I managed about 10 sugar-free days at the beginning of November and then caved in. Oops. I'm not even going to think about my weight in December and I'm defo not stinting the chocolate at all. Sorry about not keeping you company and all that, but you're doing marvellously all by yourself, anyway. Well done.
    I know it is a funny time of year but I've decided to quit drinking for at least 3 months (probably for good). I drink every night between 5 and 10 units probably. And it is making me feel carp. I was supposed to go out with some mates tomorrow night but I've whatsapped them to tell them I'm not well (probably truer than I think).

So Shaggy 26 for December please.

I'll be back tomorrow to tell you what my first night was like. Not expecting much sleep.

I don't know whether this might interest you, Back From. I'm not suggesting you're an alcoholic, and I don't know what their criteria is, although they do pay travelling expenses and say people will be reimbursed for their time. Clincial trials can be quite well paid, sometimes. I'd do it like a shot if I qualified!
    Mudbath wrote: »
    It's very interesting how many people don't like the fact that I'm happy to not have a drink. People aren't liking it at all!

I was exceptionally lucky with my friends who were all supportive, every single one of them. Two acquaintances weren't but their opinions don't count because they aren't important to me, and I wasn't working, so work colleagues didn't enter into it, fortunately for me. However, it is a recognised problem when stopping drinking, and the bullying won't stop until you make it very clear that it's none of their business what you do and don't drink.

I have absolutely no truck with that kind of behaviour and the longer I go AF the angrier that kind of pressure to drink makes me when I hear about it.
    Slowdown wrote: »
    I will be having a glass tonight and I know it will be stress related. My son is waiting for some medical test results tomorrow morning and we don't know what to expect. It's very worrying and I know I'll have to calm my nerves. I know it's wrong but it will relax me while I distract myself. DH is out tonight so I won't have him to take my mind off things.

It isn't wrong, it's a coping strategy. Alcohol does relax us, it's why we enjoy it so much. Unless you've decided to be AF for the rest of your life, why shouldn't you enjoy a drink when you want one? I do hope the test results aren't serious and that whatever ails your son is easily cured.

7/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    6/21 AFDs today
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    shaggydoo wrote: »
    Quite a lot of people on the list given that it's December!

Still of the chocolate - lost 4 pounds :)

That's great Shaggy. Well done!:T

I haven't decided what to do about Christmas chocolate yet. I'll buy a smallish box of Celebrations or similar for others to eat but I can take them or leave them. My reasoning is that if I'm going to have calories in chocolate I want them in something I really like. My favourites are chocolate marzipan, ginger and cherry liqueurs. I might buy some of each and then ration them.

We're out at Christmas dance tonight so I won't be AF. I have volunteered to drive to another dance on Saturday so that'll help my total.

Hope your son gets some good news slowdown. :)
  • Mudbath
    Mudbath Posts: 5,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Change of plan for me. The weather is awful so I'm driving which will make it 7/20 for me please
  • Paspatur
    Paspatur Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fancy a cold beer, mainly as it is Prawn Curry for dinner, but not venturing over to the shop as it's cold, dark and very windy so 5/24 for tonight please.
    Repeat of last night - Masterchef, hot bath and early night
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    6/15 please x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I've had that drink tonight and I'm quite calm.
    Thank you for your good wishes for my son's results. We're hoping to be sighing with relief tomorrow. There's always that niggling doubt though isn't there, no matter what you tell yourself.

I didn't drink as much as I thought I would. A small glass of wine and a small bottle of beer. Not so bad.

Well done to everyone who stayed AF tonight. :T

:)
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    2/15 please - struggling with target this month, which I knew especially as I had a couple of social events at the start of the month mid week. But I have managed to restart AFDs - and often previously I might have thought of ‘giving up’ and restarting in January. Posting here does help and means I can’t forget I am trying to have AFDs - not really forgetting but choosing to ignore really IYSWIM.

Hope to read good news about your son Slowdown.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure