Options
124»

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Yep, a major flaw in the system. They will quite happily take 7 pre 2016 years worth of VCs off me, the best part of £4k, for no gain.

Not the only flaw.

Prompted by occasionally reading some threads about this, and eventually this one, and despite having a postal forecast about 3 years ago ...

I signed up for a Government Gateway account

There is no section to select for pension forecasts

Going via a gov pensions forecast couple of web pages, I could sign in with a Government Gateway account.

Errrmm, no I can't.

Wrong log-in details. If I select for forgotten ID or password, I eventually fill in enough personal details for it to tell me ...

There is no account with those details

So I can be in the paradoxical position of signed in to an account, and simultaneously unable to sign in as the account does not exist.

After musing on this for a while, reading a couple of reviews, I used something called Verify instead

Last night I couldn't sign in to that either, as about 5 or 6 text messages were out of phase
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    Not the only flaw.

Prompted by occasionally reading some threads about this, and eventually this one, and despite having a postal forecast about 3 years ago ...

I signed up for a Government Gateway account

There is no section to select for pension forecasts

Going via a gov pensions forecast couple of web pages, I could sign in with a Government Gateway account.

Errrmm, no I can't.

Wrong log-in details. If I select for forgotten ID or password, I eventually fill in enough personal details for it to tell me ...

There is no account with those details

So I can be in the paradoxical position of signed in to an account, and simultaneously unable to sign in as the account does not exist.

After musing on this for a while, reading a couple of reviews, I used something called Verify instead

Last night I couldn't sign in to that either, as about 5 or 6 text messages were out of phase

The system isn't perfect unfortunately, but would persevere with verify - it took me several attempts to get the "selfie" within the specific area they wanted, but once done (with Post Office) it's been flawless for me :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,170 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    redux wrote: »

A question to the others - I don't understand the comments about no point in paying for before 2016, especially given that the website suggests how much to pay, and another gov website says it's possible for some people to go back to cover 10 years or so.

My wife recently rang the HMRC helpline to find out how to pay a volumtary contribution. She was asked to talk to the pensions helpline first to get confirmation that what she was wanting to do was of benefit before HMRC would send her the request for payment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure