Hit my moving car and drove off

Options

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Like where?

Theyre all as bad as each other and the better the area the less there are.

Less what? Often the scrotes operate in the areas where there are richer pickings.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    Less what? Often the scrotes operate in the areas where there are richer pickings.

Cops......
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    "I think he has a knife, I have children in my home" - there in 2 minutes.

But that's fine as I have a gun

They will be there in 1
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    But that's fine as I have a gun

They will be there in 1

They won't, it'll slow the response down.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    They won't, it'll slow the response down.

To be fair, I do remember them talking about that on 5Live. A bloke who's garage was routinely broken into. He phoned the police every time, often while the burglar was still there and they said "sorry sir, no-one available", "too busy", these donuts won't eat themselves", you know, the usual score.

Anyway, after the 4th or 5th time of them breaking into his garage and stealing his honestly earned possessions, he decided he had enough. When they next broke into his garage, he phoned them, like usual and was told the same old line. He hung up, phoned back about a minute later and said "no need to send a car around, I've just gone out with a shotgun and blown him to pieces, send an ambulance". About 6 armed police vehicles arrived within about 10 minutes, 2 ambulances and 2 police helicopters turned up.

Caught two blokes red handed in the garage. Copper said to the guy "I thought you had shot him" and he replied "I thought you said you were busy".

Brilliant that is. Top coppering.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    So my friend was expected to lie, to get the police to do their job? Telling Constable Dave, that a man was trying to burgle him was simply not enough?

I'll let him know, because burglaries are a regular occurrence in his area, so good chance it will happen again sometime in the future.

You know what they say, crime won't crack itself.

The police aren't sat around waiting for callouts.

Depending on the size of your area they may have just one or 2 response vehicles. Other officers will be taking statements. Chasing leads. Doing foot patrol (yes this does still happen). etc.

When you call the police you are assigned a response type. Emergency down to follow up.

If your friend isn't in danger, then the response will be slow. That's just the way the system works.

I'm sure the individual police officer would be keen to get there quickly, as in all likelihood they'll arrest the guy for multiple robberies/burglaries
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    My own personal opinion is don't tell anyone unless you really need it repairing in which case you'll have to tell your insurer

I had an almost identical case in may. Only difference is it wasn't a roundabout and it was daylight. The guy still didn't stop.

Reported to police who tracked him down - he denied all knowledge.
    Same happened when his insurance got in touch with him.

As i'd reported it to my insurance first the outcome is he doesn't have to declare anything but I have to declare it as a non fault accident for 3-5 years (whatever timeframe they're asking).
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    The police aren't sat around waiting for callouts.

Depending on the size of your area they may have just one or 2 response vehicles. Other officers will be taking statements. Chasing leads. Doing foot patrol (yes this does still happen). etc.

When you call the police you are assigned a response type. Emergency down to follow up.

If your friend isn't in danger, then the response will be slow. That's just the way the system works.

I'm sure the individual police officer would be keen to get there quickly, as in all likelihood they'll arrest the guy for multiple robberies/burglaries
    I would actually consider someone being burgled multiple times an emergency, but there we go.

Also, my friend having detained the burglar in his case, was indeed in some danger. Not to worry though.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    To be fair, I do remember them talking about that on 5Live. A bloke who's garage was routinely broken into. He phoned the police every time, often while the burglar was still there and they said "sorry sir, no-one available", "too busy", these donuts won't eat themselves", you know, the usual score.

Anyway, after the 4th or 5th time of them breaking into his garage and stealing his honestly earned possessions, he decided he had enough. When they next broke into his garage, he phoned them, like usual and was told the same old line. He hung up, phoned back about a minute later and said "no need to send a car around, I've just gone out with a shotgun and blown him to pieces, send an ambulance". About 6 armed police vehicles arrived within about 10 minutes, 2 ambulances and 2 police helicopters turned up.

Caught two blokes red handed in the garage. Copper said to the guy "I thought you had shot him" and he replied "I thought you said you were busy".

So unless your mate live in London I'll say cool story bro.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Are you sure that's a true story, I've seen that told as a "joke" many times. Especially considering their were two ambulances and two helicopters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure