Balancing not just the budget

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    As you say, lesson learned. Glad you are back on track :)

Thanks DIA :beer:

Getting there, although I think part of what I'm learning from this wobble is that I'm not quite clear any more what my track is. When I was working to become DF I thought my next goal would be saving for a deposit, and that has turned out not to be necessary. So I need to do some thinking and find out what my new goals are.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • RosaBernicia
    Belated Sunday shuffle... popping in to keep myself in line!

I am technically overspent for the month but it will be fine on payday in two weeks - so I am essentially borrowing from the savings pot and paying myself back.

I have rounded up all the receipts and sorted my finance file so am feeling better organised. Plus it means I can now claim my expenses tomorrow and that will be money back in the bank. I haven't sorted all my paperwork but I'm getting better which is the main thing. I also remembered to send in my shopnscan so that's free K1ndle reading building up :)

I could do with some time just to catch up and clean. I have the laundry nearly under control again but other things have got behind. I spent far too much time this week sorting an issue with the neighbours which is too dull and annoying to go into but has cost me about £60 and wasted lots of my time both sorting it and worrying about it. However, hopefully it's over now. I should have Sunday clear to do some 'home blessing' as FlyLady calls it.

I have made a bit of progress on my extra work so am pleased with that... things are beginning to move along in several directions of my life now so am feeling rather lucky and grateful :T:)

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Belated Sunday shuffle...
    I have made a bit of progress on my extra work so am pleased with that... things are beginning to move along in several directions of my life now so am feeling rather lucky and grateful :T:)
    This is nice to read. Long may it continue.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    I am technically overspent for the month but it will be fine on payday in two weeks - so I am essentially borrowing from the savings pot and paying myself back.

If your spending is variable you could always account for your spending (let's say for example) a trailing 3 months, rather than on a month by month basis.
    I have rounded up all the receipts and sorted my finance file so am feeling better organised.

Yes, I need to do that as well... :whistle:
    I spent far too much time this week sorting an issue with the neighbours which is too dull and annoying to go into but has cost me about £60

My...hits are getting cheap these days.

:T:T:T
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • RosaBernicia
    Sunday shuffle time again...

Still technically over budget, but not more than will be compensated for on payday and receipt of work expenses and a cheque in August (the cheque is for extra work which is currently going towards setting up the new venture, so I feel OK about lending to myself to get this underway).

Spending is coming back under control. I remembered to submit shopnscan this evening and also finally got round to checking my Clubc4rd account and changing the address, as I usually buy petrol at Tatco these days. There's a whole £3 in vouchers on there :eek::rotfl:goodness knows why I bother but I suppose it's all money in the pot. I am not doing well with my reward accounts at the moment - they changed the criteria for number of direct debits etc and I didn't bother sorting it the last couple of months while I was going away etc - so I need to look at that next weekend/ payday. I also need to look at the cats' insurance as it's becoming really expensive - I can probably move one, but the other has a pre-existing condition so need to think this through.

I've had a lovely chilled weekend, just catching up with myself... sorting stuff around the house, reading, then went out today for lunch with a friend and popping in to support a local charity event. I made a good contact for the new venture in the process which I wasn't at all expecting so that was a bonus. Also finally got round to putting some stuff in the loft which gives me more room for sorting the spare room. I need to fold out the futon for a friend coming to stay but that requires moving enough of the clothes and empty cardboard boxes to allow the unfolding :rotfl:... anyway made a bit of progress and will hopefully have that sorted next weekend. I would like to put a bed in there but haven't identified the one I want yet.

I also called the mortgage company to get the details for online banking so that I can make overpayments. I've decided to start paying something towards that every month where I can - I already have a buffer so it's not necessarily the best use of the money to put it in savings and I would like to get the LTV down as quickly as possible. I think I can probably manage about an extra 10% of the monthly payment, possibly 20% depending on how I schedule things that need sorting in the house. So that's my aim for this payday. I think I probably need to revise my budget, so may look at making a fresh start.

So all good here... hope everyone else has had a good weekend too :)

Rosa xx
    Save
    Save
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Sunday shuffle time again...

I did that today as well - only a few thousand quid worth of transactions to catch up on... :whistle:
    Still technically over budget, but not more than will be compensated for on payday and receipt of work expenses and a cheque in August (the cheque is for extra work which is currently going towards setting up the new venture, so I feel OK about lending to myself to get this underway).

Is this to do with the qualification you went for?
    Also finally got round to putting some stuff in the loft which gives me more room for sorting the spare room.

I hope you didn't just pile it around the hatch... :rotfl:
    I also called the mortgage company to get the details for online banking so that I can make overpayments. I've decided to start paying something towards that every month where I can - I already have a buffer so it's not necessarily the best use of the money to put it in savings and I would like to get the LTV down as quickly as possible. I think I can probably manage about an extra 10% of the monthly payment, possibly 20% depending on how I schedule things that need sorting in the house.

If you have taken any novelties like a fixed rate etc, you may be restricted to 10% anyway.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • RosaBernicia
    ZTD wrote: »
    Is this to do with the qualification you went for?

Yes, finished now and looking to finally use it. Just on a small scale for now, I have to keep the day job.
    I hope you didn't just pile it around the hatch... :rotfl:

Well there's not much up there at present - I am astonished at having a loft all to myself :rotfl:so the camping stuff has gone relatively near the hatch and I will eventually sort the archiving that can go and live at the other end. I do also need a ladder to make this a safer and less PITA option, so once I've reviewed the budget situation will look at sorting this as next priority after the spare bed.
    If you have taken any novelties like a fixed rate etc, you may be restricted to 10% anyway.

I am, but it's 10% of the outstanding balance rather than of the year's payments and I rather doubt I'll be managing that in a year :D of course if it does happen that would be lovely but I suspect it would require buying a lottery ticket!

Rosa xx
    Save
  • RosaBernicia
    My...hits are getting cheap these days.

:rotfl:I didn't have to resort to that :D
    Save
  • ...Well Ms Homeowner ...what can I say except really proud! ... good things come to those who wait.

Sending loads of positive vibes to you and wishing you well.

Finance File ... just makes me smile ... Mine is a bin liner under the bed lol ... Jokes .

Much love as always,
    Sam xx
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • p.s

T'wil soon be the weather where one will need to frequent Mse site to borrow moggies for winter Moggie Slippers... :)

I would ask how they doing ? but imagine they are snoozing in the warmest spot they can find.
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport