Ex Wife trying yet again to bleed him dry. URGENT

Comments

• linclass
    linclass Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »

I agree the ex sounds particularly vindictive and petty - and in the same position I'd probably let her have the £250. Doing so without any argument would probably be exactly what she doesn't want.

Vindictive & petty, that's not the half of it, Pollycat. This is the woman that went to the younger child's head teacher at school crying crocodile tears and asking that NO information regarding the childs' school progress be passed to it's father WITHOUT her permission. They took her side. Remember, she WON'T speak to him, email him or even facebook him - she contacts via the elder child's facebook page or recorded letter. She never did a day's work outside of the home for the years they were married, but has since found a part time job, which no doubt urked her.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    So when the youngest child finishes full-time education, the ex-wife will either have to buy him out or sell the house?

That's how I understand it too. If OP's partner really did just walk away and relinquish any interest in the house then there must have been reasons or he used a very poor solicitor.

I can see that this small pension share is petty but if the agreement is half of all pensions then she's technically correct so best to pay up and far more importantly ...shut up!!

I can't imagine discussing my financial situation in detail with anyone at all other than my DH (and even he has problems keeping up with all my account switching!:rotfl:).
  • linclass
    maman wrote: »
    That's how I understand it too. If OP's partner really did just walk away and relinquish any interest in the house then there must have been reasons or he used a very poor solicitor.

There was still a Mortgage on the house Maman. Had he allowed her to live in the house until youngest reached age 18, HE would have had to keep up the mortgage payments. As it is, she sold the property and purchased a smaller one, thus wiping out the need for a mortgage. There was no money left over and above the cost of the new property.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 July 2017 at 11:54AM
    linclass wrote: »
    Vindictive & petty, that's not the half of it, Pollycat. This is the woman that went to the younger child's head teacher at school crying crocodile tears and asking that NO information regarding the childs' school progress be passed to it's father WITHOUT her permission. They took her side. Remember, she WON'T speak to him, email him or even facebook him - she contacts via the elder child's facebook page or recorded letter. She never did a day's work outside of the home for the years they were married, but has since found a part time job, which no doubt urked her.

Then he may wish to remind the school that he has shared parental responsibility and has every right to information on his child's progress, and a complaint will be forthcoming if they do not comply. Relative has insisted he gets copies of any letters/emails that go to PWC so that he is aware of and can attend parents evenings, school plays etc.

Unless there's something you're not telling us with regards to PR and contact with his children?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    It's fairly obvious that had he been aware of this modest fund he would have disclosed it and she would have got half the value.

Therefore if anybody goes legal he will have to pay half. Additionally, if it gets as far as a judge he will likely get clobbered with costs well in excess of the value of the fund.

A simple covering letter with a cheque for £250 (and any loose pennies) along the lines of "this is in full and final settlement of your share of xxx pension scheme".

Retain a copy of the letter. Photocopy the cheque too. Don't enter into any further debate on the subject.
  • maman
    There was still a Mortgage on the house Maman. Had he allowed her to live in the house until youngest reached age 18, HE would have had to keep up the mortgage payments. As it is, she sold the property and purchased a smaller one, thus wiping out the need for a mortgage. There was no money left over and above the cost of the new property.

So in that respect I can understand him going for the 'full and final' route. Obviously I don't know the maths involved but he's traded paying the mortgage on the old house for half the equity if it was sold when children become 18.
  • linclass
    elsien wrote: »
    Unless there's something you're not telling us with regards to PR and contact with his children?

Absolutely NOTHING that's been left out, elsien. NO restraining orders or similar are in place. My Partner phoned the school some months back, asking re the child's progress and they flatly REFUSED to discuss anything with him. They suggested when he said he would raise a complaint, that it be sent to the Board of Governors (?) who would decide whether he could be informed. Strange thing is, the ex was TOLD that partner had been in touch. Why would they do that I wonder?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Absolutely NOTHING that's been left out, elsien. NO restraining orders or similar are in place. My Partner phoned the school some months back, asking re the child's progress and they flatly REFUSED to discuss anything with him. They suggested when he said he would raise a complaint, that it be sent to the Board of Governors (?) who would decide whether he could be informed. Strange thing is, the ex was TOLD that partner had been in touch. Why would they do that I wonder?

No you complain to the council, and you make it official
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com/5-386-2098?transitionType=Default&contextData=(sc.Default)&firstPage=true&bhcp=1
    Rights of absent parents
    Everyone who is a parent has a right to participate in decisions about a child's education, even though the school's main contact is likely to be the person with whom the child lives on school days.

Unless there is a court order limiting an individual's exercise of PR, such as an order preventing the absent parent from having contact with the child, the school and local authority staff must treat all parents equally.
  • maman

That's the correct advice. He should write to the Chair of Governors at the school address explaining that he has shared PR and that his ex refuses to share information in an informal way. If that approach is unsuccessful then he can take it further by going to the Local Authority.

They probably told him that the ex had been in touch by way of explaining their current practice. They aren't responsible for any lies she may have told them. He could ask for reports although most newsletters giving details of parents evening and other events are usually online.

I think this effort to keep in touch with the children is more important than the tiny pension. I forget, does he get to see them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure