Cheap Car hire?

androidguy
androidguy Posts: 17 Forumite
Hi everyone,

Our car has died and we need to buy a new one. Meantime, I need to get the kids to school, swimming, cubs, tennis, cricket.....so I'd like to hire a care for a week or so.

Where's the best place to hire something cheap? We are in Sutton Coldfield. Your help is most appreciated :)

John

Comments

• khcomp
    khcomp Posts: 207 Forumite
    Ebay, Facebook, Gumtree - buy something cheap, use it for a couple of weeks, then sell it again.
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    For general hire i find Sixt and Thrifty quite cheap
  • androidguy
    khcomp wrote: »
    Ebay, Facebook, Gumtree - buy something cheap, use it for a couple of weeks, then sell it again.

I hadn't thought of that - I might do so! Thanks!
  • khcomp
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Suzuki-Wagon-R-1-3-GL-R-5dr-/292172223652?hash=item4406d254a4:g:PJMAAOSwLsBZQQ3n

Do you for a couple of weeks...I bought a Wagon R four years ago for £300, been utterly reliable and the current wife loves it!
  • androidguy
    khcomp wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Suzuki-Wagon-R-1-3-GL-R-5dr-/292172223652?hash=item4406d254a4:g:PJMAAOSwLsBZQQ3n

Do you for a couple of weeks...I bought a Wagon R four years ago for £300, been utterly reliable and the current wife loves it!

Thank you - it might be just the thing!
  • khcomp
    I know it looks like a shoebox (I regularly hear cries of 'here comes postman pat'), but for lugging the kids and shopping around, and ease of driving & parking, they're great!
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Another vote for buying a banger, when my car died rather than hire a car spent £1000 on a banger, ending up using it as a replacement for 2 years then sold it on for £550. Spent under £500 during the 2 years including tyres repairs and mot. Works out at £40 a month for depreciation and maintenance. Not quite the cheapest car I owned but not far off the record was £18 a month over 3years.
  • pvt
    pvt Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    If it is just for "a week or so", then may I suggest you try looking on the rental brokers' websites. Argus; Auto Europe; Carhire 3000; Affordable Carhire; to name but a few.
    Optimists see a glass half full :)
    Pessimists see a glass half empty :(
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be :D
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    £129 for cheapest one in Birmingham with AutoEurope for a fortnight.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Why don't you just tell the kids they'll have to do without their activities for a week or two? I'm sure that some of them are actually within reasonable walking/cycling distance anyway if the parents in my town who drive their kids everywhere despite the place being no more than a mile square are anything to go by.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure