Mastercard / Visa Debit in Holland

Hello. I was wondering whether there was any advice around the reasoning both my Natwest Visa Debit and Tesco Mastercard Credit Card have not worked in Holland? They have worked to withdraw cash, but on trying to use them in the cinema, supermarket (AH) and random other places, they simply don't seem to be accepted.

Is there a better card to gain to use in Holland? Is this to do with the Maestro system?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I believe from previous threads that you are correct that many foreign-issued cards often do not work for purchases in the Netherlands. If you are living there then a local account may be the simplest option. If you're a visitor then have cash to use if you can't get a card to work.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I used supercard in Amsterdam a week ago for absolutely everything - it worked every time so maybe that is an option?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I will look into it. I've been predominantly trying around Eindhoven, which is less touristy. I'm flitting between the UK and there regularly. Thanks both.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 August 2016 at 6:55PM
    Apart from tourist outlets, department stores and upmarket shops etc, credit cards and the kind of debit card issued by UK banks are not normally accepted in the Netherlands. The Dutch use Maestro cards issued by their bank, so if such things are available in UK they may also work. Cash can be withdrawn from ATMs that don't charge using any card, so that's the simplest solution. Supercard will be treated the same as a credit card. The charges that merchants would have to pay to process payments by such cards are just not tolerated.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • JGUK
    JGUK Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    The Netherlands can be fussy with online debit cards but should be ok with most credit cards last time I went there all was ok in the main shops with any offline based credit or debit cards.

That said they don't really use debit cards from my recollection at all, could be wrong though. If they did use debit cards it would have been Maestro which we don't have in the UK anymore I don't think ?
    Thanks
    JG
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Have you advised the card issuer you'll be overseas?
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Certainly major shops and supermarkets take all the normal cards; I've never had a problem in any of those.

But bars, cafes and smaller local shops will only take the Dutch-issued Maestro debit cards. It's frustrating, in a bar, to see everybody just sticking their card in the machine when they get a beer and I have to get cash out every time.

It seems that there are no banks in the UK now that issue Maestro cards, they've all gone to Visa Debit, presumably for cost reasons. And, even if I did get one, there would be no certainty it would be accepted by the Dutch system even then.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 August 2016 at 12:20PM
    Nookster88 wrote: »
    Hello. I was wondering whether there was any advice around the reasoning both my Natwest Visa Debit and Tesco Mastercard Credit Card have not worked in Holland? They have worked to withdraw cash, but on trying to use them in the cinema, supermarket (AH) and random other places, they simply don't seem to be accepted.
    Is there a better card to gain to use in Holland? Is this to do with the Maestro system?

Nookster88;71096431
    Before you insert your card make sure that you see the Visa and Mastercard logo on the machines or cardreaders. If not, ask the vendors whether the machine accept visa or Mastercard.

In your case did you check that the machine / card reader accept Master / Visa payment system (and not just MAESTRO) before you come into conclusion that your cards are not working ?? (see below)
    eDicky wrote: »
    Apart from tourist outlets, department stores and upmarket shops etc, credit cards and the kind of debit card issued by UK banks are not normally accepted in the Netherlands. The Dutch use Maestro cards issued by their bank, so if such things are available in UK they may also work. Cash can be withdrawn from ATMs that don't charge using any card, so that's the simplest solution. Supercard will be treated the same as a credit card. The charges that merchants would have to pay to process payments by such cards are just not tolerated.
    Biggles wrote: »
    Certainly major shops and supermarkets take all the normal cards; I've never had a problem in any of those.
    But bars, cafes and smaller local shops will only take the Dutch-issued Maestro debit cards. It's frustrating, in a bar, to see everybody just sticking their card in the machine when they get a beer and I have to get cash out every time..

It is the same case in Germany, in small shops, bars but surprisingly also in the train station, subway stations at the international airport. I have seen many times people have tried buying a public transport ticket from ticket machine in the airports, train, subway stations. When they found that their card is not working, they start to get confused and think something wrong with their cards. What they do not understand is that, the machine ONLY ACCEPT MAESTRO payment (e.g a range of master card debit card). There is no Visa / Mastercard logo are shown on the machines either. So if people use their Visa / Master card of course the payment will not be accepted..
  • JGUK
    JGUK Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    http://www.splashplastic.com/index.html

Splash still offer prepaid Maestros

From what I remember though the Dutch have a funny Maestro system that doesn't really adhere to the international standards, whether it will recognise our cards

https://www.ubs.com/ch/en/swissbank/private/pay-and-save/cards/maestro.html

So do UBS and they seem to be more of the European Maestro standard than our old Switch derived standard . . .

Maybe Irish banks still do, haven't looked !
    Thanks
    JG
  • I am just back from working in a hospital in Amsterdam. Hospital would not accept credit card. Card Machine would not accept Visa Debit Card. Card machine would not accept my colleagues Visa Debit card. Hospital would not accept cash. No lunch for us them. Tried to pay for my car parking & guess what!!! My bank are clueless & want to send me a new card. Google search reveals truth. UK customers were forced to move to Visa Debit Cards (from Maestro) with a load of as it turns out false promises about how they will work everywhere. Travelling can be so much fun without any means to buy lunch or get your hire care out of the car park. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure